Thread: Aztec units overpowered

Default Aztec units overpowered

Aztec units retain, as far as I can see, their vanilla stats. This is ridiculous--Aztec forces were pathetic compared to European forces. Perhaps there can be one elite unit equipped with the macahuitl (an obsidian-edged club capable of inflicting horrific injuries), but other than that, we're talking about a walking joke of a civilization that didn't even have the wheel or bronze. The attack and defense stats should be greatly reduced. Attacking the Aztecs should be like punching a kid in the face.

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Aztec units overpowered

I don't care what happened historically, if the Aztecs are going to be a challenge they need to have the stats they do. Im not going to change them.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    I don't care what happened historically, if the Aztecs are going to be a challenge they need to have the stats they do. Im not going to change them.
    Fair enough, but why do you intend for them to be a challenge? Either way, whatever you decide I'll keep playing your wonderful mod.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Fair enough, but why do you intend for them to be a challenge?
    Because otherwise it would be far too easy for the player to conquer the Americas. I want the Aztecs to be a challenge, not just massed troops to slaughter.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Indian Slaughter Total War

There are Aztecs in this game? I always work my hardest to ignore that part of the map. It is completely out of place in this game. Particularly when it shows up in 1250
    Map guru
    RTR Fan

STOP CREEPING BIGGERISM

Quote Originally Posted by Daovonnaex View Post
    we're talking about a walking joke of a civilization that didn't even have the wheel or bronze. The attack and defense stats should be greatly reduced. Attacking the Aztecs should be like punching a kid in the face.

Your tone is way ugly.

And another thing- sometimes the Spanish lost.

And the Spanish armies consisted of mainly native allies, that is thousands of native allies compared to hundreds of Spaniards.

And at the time of the conquests the Aztec population was being decimated by smallpox- some say by up to %50 if I remember right.

And aparently the Aztec style of warfare concentrated on capturing the enemy alive (for later sacrifice). The Spaniards had no such concern.

Lusted what about lowering the aztec unit stats but making them incredibly cheap to recruit and maintain. Wouldnt that be both historically accurate AND provide a decent challenge by forcing a player to face against great masses of aztec infantry?
    Last edited by danes; January 17, 2007 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Elderberries View Post
    Your tone is way ugly.
    Relax chief--it's a joke. It ought to be considered in the same vein as quips about French military performance--unfair and unserious. If you don't make fun of the French either, then I guess I'm up the creek without a paddle here...

Quote Originally Posted by Elderberries View Post
    And another thing- sometimes the Spanish lost.

And the Spanish armies consisted of mainly native allies, that is thousands of native allies compared to hundreds of Spaniards.

And at the time of the conquests the Aztec population was being decimated by smallpox- some say by up to %50 if I remember right.

And aparently the Aztec style of warfare concentrated on capturing the enemy alive (for later sacrifice). The Spaniards had no such concern.
    Yeah, I'm not ignorant of how Spain's conquest of Mesoamerica took place. Spain had very few troops to offer, and recruited Indian allies among the people the Aztecs had oppressed.

I'm not sure how many Aztecs were killed by small pox and other European diseases, but I've heard it estimated that the pre-Columbian Exchange population of the Americas was 20 million, and within a century of Columbus "discovering" the New World, there were only three million Indians left--nearly all killed by disease.