Thread: Royal Companion or Royal Huscarl ? And tips about sieges.

Default Royal Companion or Royal Huscarl ? And tips about sieges.

Huscarl are way too hard to use, they are vulnerable to literally everything, cavalry, missile unit and can't easily stand on enemy charge. If used properly they can reverse the outcome of a battle, but they literally get decimated by one unit of javelin-men or archers; they constantly need coverage, because of this i use 2/3 huscarl unit on my army, with the general. But have to admit that when they directly approach the enemy, are devastating. So, it's a question of strategy and tactic. Luckily their morale is high and don't rout easily. What do you think ? How many huscarl or long axemen do you use in your ideal army ? What do you prefer, royal companion or royal huscarl ?

Second point is siege: i often use 1 ram and 3 siege towers for a basic siege, if i notice that any other army is around, i wait for another ram and 2/3 others towers. I often prefer to put on towers good swordsmen as first approach and then send up the berserkers as second, while my archers take care of missiles enemies units. Even if the ram breaks through the gate, i noticed that my units get damage by the oil that drain from the up, so not so convenient instantly engaging in fight, then i'm studying another approach to get less loss as i can. What approach do you use ? I'd like to see others sieges approaching, interesting or funnier.

Default Re: Royal Companion or Royal Huscarl ? And tips about sieges.

Yeah flanking infantry is never as efficient/effective as flanking cavalry/missile units in TW games (except for s2 warrior monks). but I'm pretty sure huskarls can just frontal charge in ToB and beat most units

I stopped using rams completely, the oil damage in ToB is just insane and should be avoided all costs. if you have to make a ram you can just leave it sitting outside the gate while you attack elsewhere and AI will stupidly waste units near your ram.

Default Re: Royal Companion or Royal Huscarl ? And tips about sieges.

Good to know that, thanks !