Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Once more into the Breach

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Once more into the Breach

“Would God not judge him plainly upon the coals?” Waltheof retorted. “A man who attempted regicide against our King is no man of honor, his oath and word of innocence mean less than nothing.” He spat toward Talbot’s line. “Can a man such as this now murder any Englishmen he desires, and face neither God’s judgement nor that of his peers? I will have no part in this.”

De Ewias stood by and watched the altercation unfold. By now, dozens if not hundreds of men had done the same, and were lurking around lord Talbot's tent to learn what exactly was being decided here. If it turned to violence there would surely be a bloodbath amongst those of differing allegiances, and any chance of salvaging this campaign would be entirely gone. They were arguing over some foolish legal point, and Harold was unsure now if Waltheof was deliberately trying to provoke Talbot into reaction. Slowly, his hand fitted over to his sword hilt, palm resting upon the pommel.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

That man was arrested and offered submission to the King, asking for forgiveness of his crime. Since then, Talbot has done nothing to obstruct nor demonize the King.

Giffard knew this was a black stain on his vassal, but it had been done and settled years ago now.

Yet here he is to face God's judgment by this challenge. If he wins, then he is innocent. If he loses, then he is proven guilty and will face the consequences.

William looks at Waltheof.

Is your pride so mighty that you would deny God's judgment in this matter? That you would deny a man's challenge to defend his innocence?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

“Pardoned for his crime perhaps, but the stain upon his honor will last. He is of ill repute now, from then until his grave.” Waltheof spoke, this entire thing was insanity, the dog should have been put down by the King by all laws of England. “Don’t speak to me of pride, when you stand up for a man who brandished steel against our king, who stands accused by not one but two lords of murdering scores of men today.” With that Waltheof waved Giffard off, even if he wanted to fight the scars upon his arm made it a fools prospect. “Do what you Normans will, I’ll have no part.” Nor would he recognize the proceedings of their foolishness, with that thought he turned from them, attempting to use the Huscarls to clear a path away from the murderer and his scheming lord.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; August 02, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"Enough." Gerold calls tired of the bickering. "I will not have us break out in fighting and do the Welsh's work for us."

"Giffard have your vassal and his men stand down until a trial can be arranged. They are to be denied weapons until guilt or innocence is proven, I want Perceval here to question them." If a confession came before it was time for the trial then Gerold could use that as proof to stop Combat and use another ordeal.

"Waltheof in absense of evidence Talbot is entitled tk single combat before god as the gokd cleric says. If you have a reason why that should not be the case soeak it now." Gerold says voice firm. Waltheof could use his injuries to justify another type of trial, but Gerold was not going to be the one to bring it up.

Citizen

Lord Gerold, the trial can happen right here and now. We can have this whole situation easily concluded within a shorter time frame.

Delays, delays, delays... Giffard was not enjoying this at all. Why would Perceval need to question Talbot's men if a trial was to be conducted instead?

We already have a priest with us and we have the men make room for the trial by combat to ensue shortly. The sooner this is concluded, the sooner we can continue our campaign. Is that not what you truly desire?

However, Lord Waltheof's departure made this scenario complicated. It seems Lord Waltheof is unwilling to go through the ordeal unless Talbot suffers the same injuries he has...

With Waltheof's unwillingness, is there any alternative to the trial by combat?
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 02, 2018 at 11:48 AM.

"Space needs to be set aside and proper forms must be followed Giffard, do you have any reason to object to Perceval asking questions? If the man is innocent his questions make no diffrence now do they?" Without Waltheof though Gerold may just drop the claim. The wronged party was not taking part in the suit.

"In absense of Waltheof Trial by coals or hot iron would be anotger ordeal correct?" Bageard asks of his preist. "Perhaps these questions will see no need for the ordeal and clear Talbot."
    Last edited by Trot; August 02, 2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "Space needs to be set aside and proper forms must be followed Giffard, do you have any reason to object to Perceval asking questions? If the man is innocent his questions make no diffrence now do they?" Without Waltheof though Gerold may just drop the claim. The wronged party was not taking part in the suit.

"In absense of Waltheof Trial by coals or hot iron would be anotger ordeal correct?" Bageard asks of his preist. "Perhaps these questions will see no need for the ordeal and clear Talbot."
    “Yes my Lord, though such an ordeal is usually reserved for churls and common folk.”

Replied the priest, recalling that the trial of Mortain had been largely used as an insulting gesture by the King towards his enemy.

Waltheof turned back toward Gerald, the idea that such a man was entitled to something after murdering many good men, this was where he drew the line. “You would have the victim of a crime, scared by the attempt, defend his own honor with a sword?” He lifts his sword armed, licked by flames. “Might we cut the arm from my body? To ensure God casts judgement in Talbot’s favor?”

"Perceval will question Talbots men and if any proof is found in the questioning Talbot will face an ordeal of hot irons. If nothing is found he will be cleared. Is that acceptable to you Giffard?" He stops long enough for the man to resond then departs to prepare his men to march.

Citizen

And that will only antagonize Talbot... it will only ensure that this situation ensues for longer than it needs to be.

Talbot may had his problems before, but he was still a nobleman nonetheless. Such a gesture would be insulting.

If questioning will clear his name, then I believe he will agree to it, Lord Bageard. This agreeable and certainly Lord Talbot will be fine with as well. It will not dishonor either party nor lessen their integrity. But, as Constable of England, I will be present with Perceval during the questioning of Talbot's men.

"Fine Lord Giffard if you do not trust the word of Roger Perceval a respected baron of the realm sit in I have other buisness to attend to." Gerold was tired of this unless Waltheof accepted trial by combat he would lose his chance to see the fool Talbot dead.

Citizen

It was not a matter of trust, thought Giffard, but since Perceval was being insisted as the inquisitor, William had his suspicions on the matter.

We will all have our answers soon enough.

He turns to Roger, gesturing to the men who were under Talbot's command.

I was told by Lord Talbot that this was his captain's doing, the gathering of these men. I would suggest you make your inquiries to him first. I feel he might know something.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; August 02, 2018 at 12:55 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"Talbot claims this was the work of his captain?" Perceval questioned, eyebrows shooting up quizzically. That was useful information for the inevitable questioning. "Well, Lords Hereford, Gloucester - I now await only Baron Talbot's word to begin my inquiries, so that we might all get to the bottom of this. I must say, though, Lord Constable, that while I will respect your authority, I do believe I am equipped to carry this out myself." He could hardly start work on his orders while the Talbot men were still standing ready for a fight, after all. The Baron of Rutland glanced at the accused Marcher lord before returning his eyes to Giffard.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Talbot had no idea where to begin as everyone was squabbling about and dragging things on needlessly. "I wish to speak to you Beagerd, under four eyes if you could agree to it. Lord Giffard can join if you wish it so my Lord."

Bageard had been turning to leave when Talbot speaks, he sighs and turns back around, "Very well Talbot you wish to speak have your men stand down and drop your arms."

Perceval begins his interrogation of Talbot’s men. Unfortunately, they don’t provide the Baron anything remotely of use, for even if they did do it it would be intensely unlikely that they would simply admit to doing so out of hand. Some of the men look quite tired and wild eyed, but that could simply be put down to other circumstances - they were, after all, under the treat of open war in their own camp.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Talbot claims this was the work of his captain?" Perceval questioned, eyebrows shooting up quizzically. That was useful information for the inevitable questioning. "Well, Lords Hereford, Gloucester - I now await only Baron Talbot's word to begin my inquiries, so that we might all get to the bottom of this. I must say, though, Lord Constable, that while I will respect your authority, I do believe I am equipped to carry this out myself." He could hardly start work on his orders while the Talbot men were still standing ready for a fight, after all. The Baron of Rutland glanced at the accused Marcher lord before returning his eyes to Giffard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Perceval begins his interrogation of Talbot’s men. Unfortunately, they don’t provide the Baron anything remotely of use, for even if they did do it it would be intensely unlikely that they would simply admit to doing so out of hand. Some of the men look quite tired and wild eyed, but that could simply be put down to other circumstances - they were, after all, under the treat of open war in their own camp.
    Bageard told me that it was unlikely that an enemy came from beyond the encampment... the sentries noticed nothing.

Giffard says after the questioning was done. The Norman sighs deeply and rubs his neck slightly.

It seems that this was likely an accident. I had suggested to Lord Bageard that any of Waltheof's soldiers could have started a fire by accident after all.

With no clear evidence and Waltheof refusing a duel, Bageard orders his men to depart his hands tied.

On the way South he requests a meeting with Waltheof.
    Last edited by Trot; August 03, 2018 at 09:06 AM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Talbot seeks out Giffard, accompanied by his retinue. He wouldn't move a muscle without them now.