24 Knights
    35 Serjeants
    35 Hobelars
    48 Fyrdmen
    48 English Archers
    48 English Footmen

Total 338 Men

Roger Perceval's contingent
    Roger Perceval (+3 Personal Combat, +2 Battles, +1 Charisma, +5% Movement Speed, -1 Detection)

43 Norman Knights
    101 Norman Serjeants
    36 Fyrdmen
    36 English Footmen
    36 English Archers
    26 Hobelars

Total 273

Total 1358 men

Occupation of Llanfair
    37 Norman Knights
    55 Sergents
    74 Fyrdmen
    92 English Foot
    92 English Archers
    55 Hobelars
    Total 405

Giffard
    Giffard's Contingent
    Led by William Giffard, Earl of Hereford
    +1 Battles, +1 Survival, +1 to rout rolls against this character

Retinue
    25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Levies
    40 knights
    60 serjeants
    100 fyrdmen
    100 english footmen
    100 english archers
    50 hobelars

Total: 550 men

de Ewyas
    de Ewyas

25 Norman Knights
    75 Norman Sergent

total 100

Talbot
    Talbot

25 Norman Knights
    75 Norman Sergents

total 100

750 men

Enter into Llanfair. 50 fyrdmen and 50 English Foot are dispatched to raid and occupy the province. While the rest of the army continues up to Caerleon.
    Scouts are dispatched to Usk, Monmouth, Ebbwvale, and Abergavenny.
    Last edited by Trot; August 06, 2018 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: Once more into the Breach

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    The Combined Anglo Norman Force
    The Bageard force

Gerold
    25 Norman Knights
    75 Sergents

59 Norman Knnights
    88 Sergents
    118 Fyrdmen
    147 English Foot
    147 English Archers
    88 Hobelars
    Total 747

Mar under the command of Gerold
    37 Norman Knights
    55 Sergents
    74 Fyrdmen
    92 English Foot
    92 English Archers
    55 Hobelars
    Total 405

Grand Total 1152 men

Seririol ap Nwython
    Seririol ap Nwython
    25 Teulu
    75 Serjeants

24 Knights
    35 Serjeants
    35 Hobelars
    48 Fyrdmen
    48 English Archers
    48 English Footmen

Total 338 Men

Waltheof Siwardson Contingent
    Waltheof

Retinue:
    25 Huscarls
    75 Thegns

Levey:
    65 Huscarls
    86 Thegns
    129 Fyrdmen
    108 English Footmen
    108 English Archers
    65 Hobelars

Total - 661

Giffard's Contingent
    Led by William Giffard, Earl of Hereford
    +1 Battles, +1 Survival, +1 to rout rolls against this character

Retinue
    25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Levies
    40 knights
    60 serjeants
    100 fyrdmen
    100 english footmen
    100 english archers
    50 hobelars

Total: 550 men

Roger Perceval's contingent
    Roger Perceval (+3 Personal Combat, +2 Battles, +1 Charisma, +5% Movement Speed, -1 Detection)

43 Norman Knights
    101 Norman Serjeants
    36 Fyrdmen
    36 English Footmen
    36 English Archers
    26 Hobelars

Total 273

de Ewyas
    de Ewyas

25 Norman Knights
    75 Norman Sergent

total 100

Talbot
    Talbot

25 Norman Knights
    75 Norman Sergents

total 100

Total 3174 men

Enter into Llanfair. 50 fyrdmen and 50 English Foot are dispatched to raid and occupy the province. While the rest of the army continues up to Caerleon.
    Scouts are dispatched to Usk, Monmouth, Ebbwvale, and Abergavenny.
    By the time they arrive, the local welsh have fled with their belongings into the hills, and so the English get little of value. Word is dispatched to the King of Caerwent that the revenge of the Normans has come.

The scouts detect very little. It seems that the Welsh are remaining hidden, either in the mountains or in the vale of Glamorgan.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Oaths are extracted from the local lords. Hostages taken from those that are there. The Fyrdmen and Foot catch up with the main force and scouts are dispatched to the mountains and the Vale. The army is dispatched to whichever one reports Welsh army. Outriders are deployed in the front and rear of the army to watch for ambushes.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Talbot sat atop a horse, marching in the column, enjoying the weather, which was dreadful. It was Wales after all.

Oaths are extracted from the local lords. Hostages taken from those that are there. The Fyrdmen and Foot catch up with the main force and scouts are dispatched to the mountains and the Vale. The army is dispatched to whichever one reports Welsh army. Outriders are deployed in the front and rear of the army to watch for ambushes.
    Those sent to the mountains north of Caerwent are the only ones to return, with reports of a Welsh force that numbers anywhere between eight hundred to two thousand. As Bageard’s army marches north, they find the land largely empty - evidently the populace had been warned of their arrival and fled to avoid the Norman’s path.

After a day or so of marching, outriders at the rear find themselves being shadowed by parties of welsh light horse. They bring their fears to Li Bageard himself that their supply lines could be cut off, and with so little to forage in the hills the army may starve/

Those sent to the mountains north of Caerwent are the only ones to return, with reports of a Welsh force that numbers anywhere between eight hundred to two thousand. As Bageard’s army marches north, they find the land largely empty - evidently the populace had been warned of their arrival and fled to avoid the Norman’s path.

After a day or so of marching, outriders at the rear find themselves being shadowed by parties of welsh light horse. They bring their fears to Li Bageard himself that their supply lines could be cut off, and with so little to forage in the hills the army may starve/

With news of Welsh harrasing the rear Gerold calls a halt, and dispatches more riders to find this rear force. Next he summons the various Lords to his to discuss thes developments.

"We have a force of Welsh both ahead and behind us and our supply lines are in danger. We need to deal with both threats if we leave the force behind us then we risk being cut off from our supplies." He pauses nodding once, "if we turn to confront that the larger force will come down on us from behind." He pauses again letting it all sink in. "I propose Earl Giffard take his vassals and remain protecting our supply line and protecting the rear from attack. The rest of our force will advance and drive the Welsh host out if possible. If confrotation with the host is not optimal we will bottle them in these mountians and deny them their own supply lines. I don't intend to be caught by them unawares."

Blog Entries

Talbot who had been riding atop his horse for quiet some time now was happy to dismount. The weather was still lovely and he had even spotted some sheep occupied with intercourse. This Wales Expedition was most fruitful he thought so far.

His armor was wet and heavy as he pulled the cloth from the command tent aside, he seemed to be the first so he found a seat and parked his ass on it. By god Talbot was in need of a vacation.
    "Lord Badger" Talbot noted, having not forgotten Badger supported this King instead of a true, Norman born heir.

"You had called for us" He asked rather uninterested.

"I would venture to say there may be small bands to the left and right as well, my lords." ap Nwython pauses for a moment. "To either ambush our host in either situation. I would advise sending a small force of horsemen to engage the lesser host or at least secure the supply line from potential raids while the rest of the host moves on to engage the larger host." "Or be ambushed by it." ap Nwython thinks to himself.
    Last edited by Xion; July 25, 2018 at 12:35 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

“To deny, pester, and ambush. This has been the way of the Welsh since before my father came to these lands.” Waltheof snorted. “Their army will not engage us when we hold the advantage.”

"We need to pull them out force them into a confrontation." Gerold says slamming a fist down. "Walking into their ambush is not an option."

“And how will you do that?” Waltheof questioned, eyebrow raised quizzically. “Burn the empty villages? Cut down the trees?” Waltheof did not enjoy the company of these wild people, savage goat herders the lot of them.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

The Welsh are known for their hit and run tactics. They are not bold field fighters like the Saxons and Normans... they will certainly not fall into a lure of drawing them out.

Giffard states plainly, unsure of how he felt about him and his men acting as rearguards.

What you can do, though, is draw them into a trap. Send a force to make it look like we are following into their trap and then utilize additional troops to get behind them. Turn the trappers into the trapped.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

“To deny, pester, and ambush. This has been the way of the Welsh since before my father came to these lands.” Waltheof snorted. “Their army will not engage us when we hold the advantage.”
    "They also won't abandon the favorable terrain of the mountains willingly, which favors the lighter troops of the Cymraeg over the knights and heavier footmen of the Lloegyrwys."

The Welsh are known for their hit and run tactics. They are not bold field fighters like the Saxons and Normans... they will certainly not fall into a lure of drawing them out.

Giffard states plainly, unsure of how he felt about him and his men acting as rearguards.

What you can do, though, is draw them into a trap. Send a force to make it look like we are following into their trap and then utilize additional troops to get behind them. Turn the trappers into the trapped.

"If they have forces on our flanks as I said, they would detect this movement and likely move to ambush these detachments before striking the main force with the two hosts we know of. If you want to attempt to lure them into a trap, we should move on the lesser host and prepare an ambush of our own for the main host, perhaps even leaving a small force to engage them, then feign a flight to lure them into the trap, with the flanking forces striking from the wings while the main force, which has hopefully chased off the smaller host, would engage alongside the smaller force." ap Nwython suggests.

During the night, the alarm in the camp is raised - it seems a small force of Welsh tried to hit Bageard’s camp from the south, but they were swiftly spotted by the sentries and fled once they knew the alarm had been raised, chased away by the outriders.

Gerold considers the words. "We need three forces it seems. A rear guard protecting the supply lines a forward host to fall on the Welsh and lure them out and a secondary staged force to engage when the trap is sprung." He looks at the list of forces, "Giffard you and your vassals go defend the supply lines and try and engage the smaller host. Waltheof and Ap Nwython I want you to take the lead force that will try and lore the main Welsh host into an engagement. Your Saxon Huscarls in a sheild wall will largely negate the Welsh arrows, and my cavalry will be faster catching up then the foot. My host with that of Perceval's will act as though it is to remain here for now. We will follow Waltheof's force after some short time. When the Welsh fall on you this host shall come up behind and use the mobility to sweep around the flanks and crush the Welsh in a pincer. Any objections?"

Gerold also doubles the senteries to deter raids.

“So we are to use my men, and myself, as bait? A risky move to make.” ’With another man’s men’ he thought with a sour look upon his face, it seemed to him he took the greatest risk of the three forces. In a worst case scenario they would be completely cut off. “Though I suppose there are few options in light of our situation. How will you know when the enemy falls upon my host?” He did not like the idea of isolating his forces, especially being isolated with this turncoat Welshmen.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 27, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

"My outriders will shadow your host. We will not march far behind you." He wanted his cavalry at least to be able to catch up before the Welsh could fall hard on the Norman host.

“So we are to use my men, and myself, as bait? A risky move to make.” ’With another man’s men’ he thought, it seemed to him he took the greatest risk of the three forces. In a worst case scenario they would be completely cut off and destroyed. “Though, I suppose there are few options to draw the enemy out. How will you know when the enemy falls upon my host?” He did not like the idea of isolating his forces, especially being isolated with this turncoat Welshmen, but if the plan were successful the lion’s share of the honor would be his.
    "I suppose we would have to send a rider to the second host to inform them the enemy has been engaged, if they decide to advance on the......bait." ap Nwython says the last word in a cynical tone.

"My outriders will shadow your host. We will not march far behind you." He wanted his cavalry at least to be able to catch up before the Welsh could fall hard on the Norman host.

"The terrain is quite forested, my lord. I would imagine horse would have a more difficult time keeping up with the lead host than a footman would."

Blog Entries

Talbot shrugged.

"We could just burn everything of use to the Welsh"
    Talbot noted, a proven tactic after all.

"It will perhaps force their numbers to swell but an army marches on it's stomach. When you remove their food supply we force an engagement with an army that has nothing in their belly's. Where's we still have the joy of food. Perhaps we shall need larger baggage trains from England but it would force a fight." He added drily. The rain had began to annoy him a little.

"After we have fought them we should start building fortified positions and offer the populance our protection. That is how you break the enemies spirit gentlemen." He said as a final note.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast