Thread: Trouble with invisibility

Default Trouble with invisibility

Hello everyone

I am currently making militia units and for the sake of diversity, I decided to vary my helmet sets for each faction by making groups with multiple helmets in them and then making the unwanted ones invisible through the alpha channel of the diff texture. This has worked well, but for some reason I am having thin slivers of the invisible helmets appear in the shape of their outline. They are usually negligible but one of them is rather annoying, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows why this happens.

I have ensured that all the helmet is hidden both in the diff and norm textures, and the weird outline doesn't show up in milkshape, with or without backfaces. If anyone wants to check on their side, combine two groups of the same type and make one of the elements totally invisible. Worst case scenario I could live with it, but I would prefer the issue solved.

Thanks in advance

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trouble with invisibility

Mismatched textures is often happening when the canvas size of the textures (body, attachment) is a mismatch, do check that.

No no everything is fine, I triple checked. I could PM you the model if you want.

Update:
    -everything look fine in milkshape
    -I made some of the torsos disappear with the alpha in-game and no outline showed up
    Last edited by MightyPotato; July 23, 2018 at 01:13 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am not much of a hand with models - paleolegos is our resident wizard, try to get in touch with him.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I can tell you right off the bat that game's engine was not intended to be used like that.
    So maybe it is just not possible at all to make it look right like this.
    If it is possible, you are going to have to make normal maps for each faction.
    I strongly recommend that you don't make parts invisible through the alpha channel.

Well I'll try and fiddle around with it a tad to see if I can get it to work, and the reason for why I am taking so long to release the unit is that I am indeed handmaking normal maps for each faction. I really do hope it works tho, it really is rather nice to see more differences in a single unit

So I merged two shields and made one invisible, and no outline appeared but a small barely viisible sliver when I looked to the side, so I don't know why it is so flagrant on the helmet and where it comes from. In any case I'll just finish the unit and then I'll see what I'll do with them. I might ask around to know what people think of it (me being a perfectionist does not help with noticing that kind of thing), and maybe use another helmet merging that would be less obvious (if the two helmets are close enough in shape, then it doesn't really show up). Thanks for your help and again tell me if you want pics or the model to try and identify the issue.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPotato View Post
    No no everything is fine, I triple checked. I could PM you the model if you want.

Update:
    -everything look fine in milkshape
    -I made some of the torsos disappear with the alpha in-game and no outline showed up
    No matter how the milkshape model looks you must:
    Unhide all groups.
    Select texture coordination button
    Check one by one group's uvmaps that they are were they should supposed to be. That efefct exists when you use an already made mesh , converted to ms3d and add or remove groups.
    Often the uvmaps located outside the texture's borders so in order to find them and move them in the proper possition you must scale the texture to 0.5 or less.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.