Blog Entries

Default Re: Who Is America

Spencer resigned.

What a glorious day.

I can't wait to see further fallout.
    Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q, Patron of IlluminatiRex and Meelis13

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    This is the base of the GOP. I'm so ashamed right now.
    No it's not. It's the nutty fringe of the GOP. Point me to any relevant political party in the world that doesn't have a racist fringe.

paleologos's Avatar Moderator
    Artifex Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    No it's not. It's the nutty fringe of the GOP. Point me to any relevant political party in the world that doesn't have a racist fringe.
    I don't believe they are "nuttier", or more racist than me, I do believe they are less sophisticated.
    And I don't believe they are a fringe.
    The fringe do not "tolerate blacks".

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Racist rural white people that are genuinly more worried that brown people are coming in and changing their "white heritage" than they are about the economic impact, positive or negative of them, and who only broadly tolerate black people when they aren't "opening the racial divide" by demanding rights, are absolutly the base of the GOP, not some fringe group. The only nutty fringe of the GOP are the purely economic conservatives, who are nutty for thinking that is what this is all about.

Also Paleologos, your definition of racism is stupid.

Also also, The reality is that Sasha Baron Cohen isn't really trying to make a political statement with this, It's just his usual shtick of creating zany characters and putting people in uncomfortable places to **** with them. That fact that many people came across looking so poorly is just incidental to where he's doing his shtick in.

Also also also, I only came into this thread to post "why is America".

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Racist rural white people that are genuinly more worried that brown people are coming in and changing their "white heritage" than they are about the economic impact, positive or negative of them, and who only broadly tolerate black people when they aren't "opening the racial divide" by demanding rights, are absolutly the base of the GOP, not some fringe group. The only nutty fringe of the GOP are the purely economic conservatives, who are nutty for thinking that is what this is all about.
    lol
    Can you prove that? Like, with facts and figures. Otherwise, this can be dismissed as just another inane rant by someone who is butthurt about Trump winning or some other imagined slight.

Also also, The reality is that Sasha Baron Cohen isn't really trying to make a political statement with this, It's just his usual shtick of creating zany characters and putting people in uncomfortable places to **** with them. That fact that many people came across looking so poorly is just incidental to where he's doing his shtick in.
    Which is why I don't watch his movies. Can't say I like dishonest quims who make money off humiliating others.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

lol
    Can you prove that? Like, with facts and figures. Otherwise, this can be dismissed as just another inane rant by someone who is butthurt about Trump winning or some other imagined slight.
    I do recall a few polls done in several places of rural america pointing out the primary concerns of gop voters being overwhelmingly based on cultural concerns related to immigrants, immigrant based crime, the wall, and stricter border regulations, and not, as one would presume, jobs, the decline of the coal mining industry, lobbying, or what have you. Of course the polls are a lot less basic than I make it sound but it's been a while since I've read it so you'll have to forgive me.
    I'll try and find it as though it's not blatantly obvious that Trumps base is entirely driven by populist xenophobia, zealotism and disgust for anything other than their way of life, because anything else would require the education to acknowledge that a lot of the problems they're whining about aren't the lefts fault.
    And that's of course not even mentioning the alt-right, going on tirades about leftist authoritarianism because someone said mixed race couples are nice.

Feel free to dismiss it as an inane rant in case I forget to do so though, just be sure to appreciate the knowledge that your comment was every bit as inane and baseless as mine.

Which is why I don't watch his movies. Can't say I like dishonest quims who make money off humiliating others.
    I just hate crindge humor, it's like the gore of comedy.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 07, 2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: off topic part removed

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Kyriakos's Avatar Tribunus

ahahahahaha, this is awesome!
    Your surname doesn't have to be Komnenos, Doukas or Palaiologos, so as to join
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

Gen. Chris's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Civitate Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Athanaric...he does not humiliate anyone. He turns on a camera and let's them do it themselves.

They really have NO ONE to blame but themselves for what they say on camera.

paleologos's Avatar Moderator
    Artifex Content Staff

Athanaric...he does not humiliate anyone. He turns on a camera and let's them do it themselves.
    They really have NO ONE to blame but themselves for what they say on camera.
    Absolutely, scripted comedy is no match for professionally sold out politicians or ideologically possessed activists.

I am trying to watch the third episode today and I can't stop laughing!

Praepositus
    Citizen

I can't watch Sacha Baron Cohen, his humour is cringey and basic. There are better practitioners (I recall Brass Eye in the UK, and we had Norman Gunston in Australia in the 1970's who had celebrities and politicians in tears).

I guess he gets people to behave in a humiliating manner by being so shameless himself, and they only have themselves to blame.

He's parodying a kind of Israeli stereotype, I think he has blundered into racist parody himself in the past. I think you can send up "your own people", is he Israeli enough for this to not be bigotry? I disliked Ali G because it seemed a sort of blackface without the black paint. Borat seemed to cross the line to, I never saw Bruno. i know all the responses "oh he's doing it to get a response" but I don't feel the ends justify the means.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Kyriakos's Avatar Tribunus

He often has been a jerk - eg with Borat, he never apologized for presenting (Great nation of) Kazakhstan in such a way I recall that he was even accused by officials (the gov) of Kazakhstan, and his reply was "i have no relation with mr. Cohen, i fully agree with my government (of Kazakh) on him and think that they should sue this jew"
    Which, ok, was funny, but also the attitude of a complete jerk
    Your surname doesn't have to be Komnenos, Doukas or Palaiologos, so as to join
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

ahahahahaha, this is awesome!
    Can i hear a woop woop??

Gen. Chris's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Civitate Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I will admit it was not the best episode. I wish they would use the Nira persona on democratic/left leaning people to see how far they will go to look tolerant.

That guy from Utah (as much as I hate his beliefs) handled his interview pretty well.

I will admit it was not the best episode. I wish they would use the Nira persona on democratic/left leaning people to see how far they will go to look tolerant.

That guy from Utah (as much as I hate his beliefs) handled his interview pretty well.
    He did didn't he? Would like to see more liberal targets to see how they fare.

But that said, still l can't get my head around how a racist could think it would be a grand idea to dress up as a little girl and offer drugged gaucamole to curious Mexicans. Where is that organ between his ears?

I must say you don't need a Baron Cohen to bring out the curious in people. We know a person who has just pubicly announced that he made a donation to Tommy Robinson, a convicted fraud. Puzzling.
    Last edited by mongrel; August 07, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2