Thread: Welsh Raids

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Welsh Raids

With raids, from the King of Gwent, having penetrated into the lands of the Earl of Hereford, William Giffard calls forth his retinue and that of his two vassals, Richard Talbot and Harold Raufson, to Goodrich Castle.

Contingent of William Giffard
    led by William Giffard, Earl of Hereford
    +1 Battles, +1 Survival, +1 Charisma, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Total: 100 men

Contingent of Richard Talbot
    led by Richard Talbot, Baron of Worcester
    +2 personal combat, +1 survival, +2 battles, -1 Charisma

25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Contingent of Harold Raufson
    led by Harold Raufson, Tenant of Bredwardine
    +2 charisma, +2 battles, +1 personal combat, +1 survival

25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 16, 2018 at 07:46 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Welsh Raids

Lord Talbot had answered the call of his vassal overlord, Lord Giffard. On his white horse of war he led the column in which his retinue marched along to Goodrich Castle. Upon Arrival Talbot dismounted and went in search for Lord Giffard, who couldn't be far judging from the activity in and around the castle.

Harold of Mantes likewise arrives, leading his troupe of soldiers from Bredwardine towards Goodrich castle. Many had recently had their tenants killed and farmsteads burned, so this was an opportunity for revenge.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Lord Talbot had answered the call of his vassal overlord, Lord Giffard. On his white horse of war he led the column in which his retinue marched along to Goodrich Castle. Upon Arrival Talbot dismounted and went in search for Lord Giffard, who couldn't be far judging from the activity in and around the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Harold of Mantes likewise arrives, leading his troupe of soldiers from Bredwardine towards Goodrich castle. Many had recently had their tenants killed and farmsteads burned, so this was an opportunity for revenge.
    Both Richard Talbot and Harold Raufson are shown it the small encampment, just outside of Goodrich Castle, where the Earl of Hereford awaited them. Due to the ongoing construction and upgrade of the castle, William felt it best for them all to meet elsewhere. William motions them forward to a table where he stood at. Servants had wine poured and food dispensed for his guests. The three of them made up a good force of three hundred men.

Before we begin, I have a couple matters to address first.

William sets down his cup of wine after drinking from it.

For both of your services, in the recent conflict, I award you both two thousand, five hundred pounds each. In addition, a promise I made to you, Lord Talbot, shall be fulfilled.

He looks at Richard.

The betrothal between my eldest daughter, Ermengarde, and your son, John Talbot. Is this agreeable?

Once the answer was given, he turns to Harold.

I offer the same promise of one of my daughters to you, Sir Harold, when you have a son of your own. Is this agreeable?

Blog Entries

Talbot looked on to the display of wealth Giffard had put to show here. Talbot was by now means a wealthy lord, only after tedious saving had he been able to start upgrading his lands for more profits. Having finally arrived at Giffards position he notices that Giffard wastes no time and gets down the business. The words he speaks to Talbot touch him in a way. The King had once again demonstrated he was not benevolent at all. Talbot had sustained considerable injuries during the Normandy campaign and still the King was blind to his efforts.

"You honor me Lord, it is more than I can agree too. You and your family gave me much. I owe you my life."

Talbot did not say the words without meaning, without Giffard Talbot could well have been dead.

Harold, a little less immediately discernible under helmet and chainmail, thumped his chest in salute and deeply bowed his head.

”My lord, you honour me again.”

With these funds he could build a castle in Ewias, and better protect his lands from the goat herding marauders that had crossed into Mierce to pillage.

Citizen

With these matters concluded, William went to determining the raiding of the Gwent lands that rested nearby.

We will keep far from the border of Powys, it is united with the Kingdom of Gwynedd, making it a great and opposing figure.

His finger taps the shires of Monmouth and Abergavenny.

We will hit their border provinces together before considering driving deeper into the lands of Gwent. We will raid a plenty and make them regret crossing the border into English territory.

Blog Entries

Talbot looked on as Giffard explained his plans, he had a suggestion.

"Would you wish us to hit separate provinces? That way an enemy response would be hard to materialize, considering them not knowing if we are coordinated or striking next."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    With these matters concluded, William went to determining the raiding of the Gwent lands that rested nearby.

We will keep far from the border of Powys, it is united with the Kingdom of Gwynedd, making it a great and opposing figure.

His finger taps the shires of Monmouth and Abergavenny.

We will hit their border provinces together before considering driving deeper into the lands of Gwent. We will raid a plenty and make them regret crossing the border into English territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Talbot looked on as Giffard explained his plans, he had a suggestion.

"Would you wish us to hit separate provinces? That way an enemy response would be hard to materialize, considering them not knowing if we are coordinated or striking next."
    Harold had very little experience of war. He decided to take a background role, simply observing both Giffard and Talbot discussing their respective stratagems unless his opinion was sought out.

Citizen

At the same time... we may risk exposure. We have three hundred men after all.

Giffard rubs his chin slightly, thinking of how to best approach this.

We could easily send yourself and Sir Harold to perform the raids on the border. My troops can either assist or remain as a reserve in case there is an armed response.

William looks up at the two of them.

Whatever profits you get from the raid is yours. I am in no hurt for money, but the two of you could use it more to improve your holdings.

Blog Entries

Talbot nodded in approval.

"That is perhaps the wisest decision." Talbot wished to be careful and not again suffer the injuries he did in Normandy.

He struck his chin. The Kindness Giffard had showed him a ton of kindness and he would not forget it. "Are you sure about the spoil my Lord? You treat us well and I would see us return the favor" he said as he looked at Harold,.

"My lord, you should ride with us. You have as much cause for vengeance as any other man here."

Ewias replied, after noticing Talbot's visual cue.

Citizen

If we were to stay together as a party...

William points at one province and moves in order from there.

Monmouth, Usk, Abergavenny and back into Hereford. How does that sound? Keep together and ensure the Welsh can't catch us off-guard.

Harold gave an affirmative nod.

"As you say, my lord."

Citizen

The party gathers together, 300 in total, and moves from Goodrich Castle towards Monmouth.

Blog Entries

"Excellent suggestion" Talbot noted.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Monmoth

roll 18 the force is detected and the defenders withdrawl and rally a defense

Usk

roll 13

the attacks are identified and the resistance kills 3% of the force

320 gold is aquired

roll 2

the attacking force manages to make off with 450 gold