William de Clare looked at his map one last time before turning to his most trusted knights, It is time. Over the past several months William had been preparing to travel Byzantium where he has heard of rumours of holy relics. We are ready my liege, the saddles are packed with the necessary provisions and God be willing we can make it to Constantinople within 6 months. William smiled, his plans where finally coming to fruition. Did you collect the necessary gold? the most senior of the knights stepped forward to address William's question. We were able to collect 600 pounds from the tenants, your father contributed 2,000 pounds, and your brother contributed 1,000 pounds which is a total of 3,600 pounds. its quite the heavy sum, my lord. William sighed, I know but we will be gone awhile and this money will not only be necessary for our survival but to also gain value information on relics. Before this journey would begin William and his small company of knights would first receive a blessing from their local priest.

Pater noster qui es in coelis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum;
adveniat regnum tuum,
fiat voluntas tua,
sicut in coelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
et ne nos inducas in tentationem
sed libera nos a malo.
Amen.

As the priest finished his prayer the men readied to leave, their journey was going to be long and arduous but hopefully worth all the anguish. William gives the order, Lets saddle up and ride for the coast. With his 5 companions rode to the coast of Lympe where they boarded a boating heading to France.

To be continued