Thread: Game crashes on launch

Default Game crashes on launch

I am trying to play Third Age (and later : divide and conquor) but I can't manage to install it.

I have watch ALL the installation instruction video's by the creator of the DaC mod. So I have NOT renamed my expansion folders, as the creator underlined many times.

I did everything exactly as he told me. I did a complete uninstall of Medieval 2, I installed Third Age 3.0 (1) Third Age 3.0 (2) and Third Age 3.2 by selecting run as administrator.

I also copied the medieval 2 exe file and renamed it to kingdoms (and kingdoms.exe later, wasn't sure which one, but failed).

As soon as I launch the kingdoms.exe file, the Medieval 2 vanilla game will launch. From what I learned from the video's this is not normal.

When I launch the Third Age.exe file from my desktop, the game does start. I see a loading screen saying "Third Age total war" but the game crashes after like 5 seconds.

I am 100% positive that I did everything the video instructed me to do. Can anyone please help me with this problem ?

Thx !
    Last edited by Veteraan; July 14, 2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Removed the double text

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Game crashes on launch

Welcome to the TWC forum, dedaio!

I don't play DaC myself, not because it's not an excellent mod, but because I'm quite busy with other mods. So I did not see Galu's install video. I can't imagine it says that you have to uninstall Medieval 2 though and I also don't quite get the renaming the Medieval II exe file to Kingdoms.exe. That must lead to trouble.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

♔atthias♔'s Avatar Citizen
    Censor

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Welcome to the TWC forum, dedaio!

I don't play DaC myself, not because it's not an excellent mod, but because I'm quite busy with other mods. So I did not see Galu's install video. I can't imagine it says that you have to uninstall Medieval 2 though and I also don't quite get the renaming the Medieval II exe file to Kingdoms.exe. That must lead to trouble.
    that is because steam does not provide a kingdoms exe so any kingdoms bases mod will not run hence the renaming
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; July 15, 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    `that is because steam does not provide a kingdoms exe so any kingdoms bases mod will not run hence the renaming
    Aha, sometimes I am quite glad that I don't have to use Steam for this particular game. Admittedly it does not help in troubleshooting these kind of problems though.

Censor

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Aha, sometimes I am quite glad that I don't have to use Steam for this particular game. Admittedly it does not help in troubleshooting these kind of problems though.
    sometimes being not up to date with the time has its advantages

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Ngugi's Avatar Local Moderator

Move this to the DaC forum, preferably?

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod
    | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I didn't move it initially because it is still a question about getting TATW installed, regardless if the intention is to install DaC on top of it. However since the flawed install was based on the instructions of a Galu™ video, it can be moved if you want to.

Ngugi's Avatar Local Moderator

Ok, understood it as DaC had been installed too (due to "I did everything the video instructed me to do"), but dedaio might enlighten us about it before anything is done.

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod
    | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Im having the same problem as dedaio.
    I have a non-steam version of M2TW+Kingdoms.I have other mods (Bellum Crucis,Deus Lo Vult,Westeros Total War,Stainless Steel) and all of them work just fine.
    This problem only occurs with Third Age total War.I installed everything as requested,but the game doesn't launch.I mean,the loading screen pops up,but after 5-7 seconds,it returns to my desktop.
    Im running the game on Windows 10.
    Thanks in advance!

Well. if you did everything as instructed, the game should just work as it obviously does for a huge amount of people.

It's non Steam, so that would make it even less problematic to install. It would be good if you provided a bit more info such as:

- Which instructions for installing TATW and if they are indeed for the disk version of TATW.
    - The complete folder path of your TATW install.
    - Which files exactly you installed.

Hi!Thanks for the quick response and for the attention!
    Here are my answers

- I followed the instructions showed in the .exe file of Third Age mod (once i clicked the "TATW_3.0_Part1of2",the install instructions appears)
    - C\Program Files (x86)\Sega\Medieval II Total War\mods The "Third_Age_3" folder is inside the "mods" folder
    - Installed Both Part 1 and 2 and Patch 3.2.

Once again,thanks for the assistance and attention!

At first glance, that looks to be in order. And since you have successfully installed some other mods for MTW II/Kingdoms, I assume you patched that game to version 1.5 (which is required to successfully install TATW).
    You do not have an extra "Third_Age_3" folder in your in your "Third_Age_3" folder? It may seem a silly question, but it wouldn't be the first time it happened.

How do you start the TATW, is it with the Third Age.bat file?

Depending on if there is anything useful in the above text, I suppose the next thing you could try is removing the existing TATW folder and try to install it again. Make sure your installer is pointed for all parts (3.0 1, 3.0 2 and 3.2) to the Medieval II Total War folder.

Inside my "Third_Age_3" folder there are:
    -Folders:
    Custom;Data;Packs;Preferences;Saves
    -Others:
    icon;TATW.cfg;TATW_3_0_unit_stats;Third Age.bat (which I use to start the game)

One fact that I forgot to mention is that I have Steam installed,although my Medieval 2 game is non-Steam version.

I played this mod without problems in my old pc,which had Windows XP and no Steam installed.I think the problem might be connected to this.

Once again,thanks for the assistance and attention! Cheers!

Unless you actually use Steam to launch the game, which means you must have bought a Steam version of Kingdoms IIRC, having Steam installed will not interfere with getting the disk version of MTW2/Kingdoms. I use the disk version myself, but I also have a Steam account for some other games.

Nope.I dont use steam to launch the game.
    I thought steam was causing this error.It strange,since all other mods are working fine.
    Anyway,thanks again for the assistance and for the attention!Glad to know Med2 still lives!

At this point I don't know what else you can do, besides reinstalling it completely as I mentioned earlier.

But just to be sure: You did install the "all in one patch" too?

Censor

have you tried setting the kingdoms exe to windows 7 comparability mode?