Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dude's Classrom

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default The Dude's Classrom

Could you even imagine that something like this existed??

However, I had a rug (don't worry about the big stain in the middle of it, its just.. errr orange juice) and some desks which I found on the local dump, so I wondered that I could make up a classroom to teach you lads some useless things.

For the moment I have two classes in mind:

- for those who are interested, a basic Italian course; you might never know when you will end up in Rome and have to understand which bus you are supposed to take to get to the Police Stat.. err I mean the Coliseum.

- for reviewers/writers: a course on how to write reviews and possible on how to do interviews

So far it is all, if anyone is interested, please just post here below

Flinn
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Dude's Classrom

Mildly interested in both, though slightly more in the second.

Interested in the interviewing course.

I'd like to learn Italian

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    Interested in the interviewing course.
    Same here
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

ok so, so far

- Basic Italian: Ponti & GB (50%)
    - Interviews: GB, Theramines & Lifthrasir

few comments from my side:

- first, I think that a minimum of 3 students is a must for a class
    - second, I have to inform you that I won't be able to run any class before september; now I have 2 weeks of very committing job activity, then for holydays for at the least 3 weeks
    - third, about the review/interview class: the reason why I put the two together is that the two things are pretty much similar, at the least in the way one actually prepare to write such things; if you guys are more interested in the interview alone, I'll see what I can do to split the two, but IMO it is worth to have the two together
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I better be able to who the laddies when I'm in Rome next time Flinn. I'm counting on you!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

September is upon us, any news? I had Italian in class for two years, so I think I understand the very basics, so I'd like to do an interview class if you're still planning on teaching
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

I am, but you have to allow me some time; I just came back from holydays, and I'm catching up with all my duties

I'll work on this anytime during atumn; there some changes RL and TWC wise, so this needs to be postponed for a while, but certainly is not canceled

Blog Entries

Nice!
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

for the records, I've not forgot about my classes; we are moving on (mostly thank to the help of the mighty GB) with the revamp of the UNI, so soon we should be starting at least 3 new courses

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

What is being offered?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Blog Entries

Italian lessons & how to write a review by Flinn.
    Last edited by General Brewster; December 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

When it's ready, I would be very interested in attending the Italian course.

Blog Entries

Once again, I swear I'll run those courses anytime in the future, at the least the one about Italian which seems to have more potential students.. you have to be patient, though, because I'm pretty much busy with my main TWC duty (competition and awards) and I don't plan to be able to deal with anything else for a while still.

I'm truly sorry about that, I was planning to start a course on autumn, but we had some changes and rearrangements in the Hex during the last 3 months and I have to cope with the most urgent needs/duties right now

I completely understand. Thanks for replying.

Blog Entries

So I might be ready to start to talk about the Basic Italian course

First, those who showed interest in it: Ponti, GB, KA and Skotos; 4 students for a class looks like enough to try to run it; of course it can take quite a lot of time, Italian is not really a simple language due to many irregular forms and in any case I'm expecting to give some (simple) exercises to do every once in a while, in order to help you retain the basics of the language. Therefore if we really want to give it a go, everybody has to be prepared to invest time and patience in it: I'm not being pessimistic when I say that it will most probably need a year before we can actually finish this course (between my forced absences, the time needed to prepare new lessons and that needed for you to complete the exercises and other minor things, I think a year to be a realistic estimation).

I admit I'm a bit in trouble to decide how to effectively run this course; I mean, we are not in a RL classroom where we can interact daily and add a layer of practical exercises to the theory (like conversation or dictation exercises), nor that we really aim at turning you into Italian speakers, rather I believe that the goal is to introduce you to the very basics of the Italian language and to help you understand how to read Italian and how to possibly construct some basic sentences, which you can use for the most common needs of everyday's life for instance; once the course will be over you should be able, with the help of a dictionary, to read and understand an Italian text and possibly to write an essay about yourself.

How that sounds? I'm asking for your direct input gents because I want the course to be usable and interesting for all of you; too many courses ended up in nothing because they were intended or became too complex and articulated; I think that the goal here is both for you to better learn something you are already interested in and to have some good time all together.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

I had Italian for two hours a week for my first and second year, so I think I won't get much out of the course other than the bling, which is why I originally put my interest in the journalism course. However, I won't fully exclude myself as it never hurts to work on ones skills a bit more. I don't remember all that much off the top of my head. I do have some notes though, here's a random snapshot of my Italian bit of my OneNote
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However, a refresh will very much do me some good, I wasn't the best in class (Not bad either though)
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

thanks for the feed KA

I think I need to clarify one thing which was probably not much clear in my post above

we have two choices: we go with a standard course like the one KA has linked a screen about, or we work in a more informal way, which will certainly include some grammar notions that you need to learn, but that will be focused more on preparing you for the final exam

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    we have two choices: we go with a standard course like the one KA has linked a screen about, or we work in a more informal way, which will certainly include some grammar notions that you need to learn, but that will be focused more on preparing you for the final exam
    Flinn, considering the time constraints you have, my initial vote would be for whichever would be most doable for you. Beyond that, my interest in this course is to get me closer to being able to read books I have purchased for research, as well as academic papers in my field of study, etc. So I'd prefer the one that best meets the goals you set out:

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    to read Italian and how to possibly construct some basic sentences, which you can use for the most common needs of everyday's life for instance; once the course will be over you should be able, with the help of a dictionary, to read and understand an Italian text and possibly to write an essay about yourself.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Is it too early to have an idea as to when the course might begin?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast