Thread: A Survey of Cumbria

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default A Survey of Cumbria

The Earl of Northumbria, Osulf Uthredsson, rides to Carlisle, in eastern Cumbria, with a strong presence of Huscarls. Since the restoration of the English frontier, the Earl had been curious of the state of Cumbria and rode off in that direction to understand how Cumbria had been left by the Scottish Kingdom to the North. He greatly feared that it was neglected or worse... he was aware of its marshy terrain and rather poor state of the land overall. Once he arrived at Carlisle, the Saxon sends forth messengers throughout the whole region, seeking to speak with the Scottish, Saxon and Cumbrian landholders of the area. His intentions were to learn of region's problems and understand the state it was currently in. He even hoped to offer some solutions and bring the results to the King.

+0 Charisma (-1 from Temperament, +1 due to reward from mods)

Messengers sent to:
    Alston
    Penrith/Brougham/Armathwaite/Yanwath
    Border/Carlisle/Scaleby/Askerton
    Wigton/Rose
    Workington
    Egremont/Ennerdale
    Millom
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: A Survey of Cumbria

Osulf's men find that the whole of Cumbria is quite poor indeed, whether they spoke with the local landlords or simply observed the region as they rode through it. What few roads exist are but simple dirt pathways in the ground, overgrown forests and marshes abound, and nearly the entire population live in tiny villages scattered all over the place with little connection to one another. Most of the landholders of Cumbria dwell in log houses distinguishable from those of their tenants simply by being a little larger and cleaner. Truly, the Scots have let this place go to seed.

Citizen

Osulf then makes an inquiry, to each province, on a prominent problem in their lands. Whether it was a dispute, construction needed or protection required. If necessary, Osulf hoped to provide quick relief before reporting to the King.

Alston: Needs economic renovations (3 tier I buildings)
    Penrith/Brougham/Armathwaite/Yanwath: Needs a new church (£300)
    Border/Carlisle/Scaleby/Askerton: Needs fortification (new castle)
    Wigton/Rose: Needs fortification (new castle)
    Workington: Needs economic renovations (3 tier I buildings)
    Egremont/Ennerdale: Dispute with Millom
    Millom: Dispute with Egremont/Ennerdale

Citizen

Osulf allocates money from his funds to Penrith in order to find a new church. This new abbey is dedicated to a lesser known saint from Cumbria, Saint Herbert of Derwentwater, a native of Saint Herbert Island, off the coast of Cumbria, and who shares a feast day with the better known Saint Cuthbert. With that resolved, the Earl rides forth to the border of Egremont and Millom, calling forth the disputed party members to meet with him as arbiter.

The feuding nobles, Cumbrian Mascuid of Millom and Saxon Eadwig of Egremont, agree to Osulf's arbitration.

"Mascuid here has been encroaching on MY farms for years now," Eadwig began, grumbling. "This has been going on since the time of our grandfathers - "

"Because he kidnapped my great-aunt and violated her while enjoying our hospitality," Mascuid interrupted with a huff, folding his arms. "You should count yourself lucky we haven't burned down your hall with you in it - "

"Not for lack of trying," The Saxon spat. "Besides, your grandfather killed him long ago. And what's that got to do with your family's excursions to my land anyhow - "

"Aye, and then your father killed mine!" The Cumbrian growled in turn. "The least you owe me now is the right to let my herds graze on your lands."

Citizen

Osulf raises his hand, attempting to silence both men squabbles with his voice intervening.

Enough, both of you! Let us be civil about this.

Hard to stay such a thing, considering the list of crimes committed... there had to be some misunderstanding here. Before they could begin, the Saxon needed information. He turns to an attendant.

What is the layout of these two homesteads? I want to know their properties and what others exist around them. Are there any unclaimed lots of land?

As both men were illiterate, their clerks and priests had to provide and read maps in their stead. Both men's lands lie on the borders of their respective counties and directly neighbor each other. They both have some neighbors that they get along with far better than each other, and some unclaimed lots of land, but the latter are absolutely worthless without a significant effort to improve them - being uninhabited, full of marshes and untamed forests, they're wholly unsuitable for farming without a serious attempt at draining the marshes and taming the woods.

Citizen

With the thought of the status of the land in mind, it appeared that Eadwig had been wronged first by Mascuid's family.

As Earl of Northumbria, I have great plans for Cumbria in order to make a strong border and a thriving region.

Osulf then gestures to Eadwig.

Eadwig will be allowed to use land of Mascuid that does not interfere with his farming. A man must still make his profit after all. However, this will happen for remainder of this year. This will be in repayment for Eadwig's family being wronged first.

He then looks at both gentlemen.

Once this is done, you will both join at the borders of your properties, with a priest in attendance, and bury the seeds of a tree. A sign of your new accord and in order to bury your rivalry. Am I clear?