Thread: Very disappointed

Cavinano's Avatar Laetus

Icon13 Very disappointed

There are a few issues I have encountered with this mod that i must point out. For both in-game and installation.
    I'm playing the version IS 2.2.1b with the Battle Realism submod.

Installation Issues:
    The mod only loads when i set the launcher shortcut to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Otherwise, it will just load the vanilla game with reskinned UI, British and French kings. I am using Windows 10.

In-game issues:
    1)Unit costs
    Since the unit costs are so high, no one have enough money to muster anything, this slows down the gameplay a lot. It bored me.

2)Building costs
    Same with the unit costs, I'm playing as the British. Having the 13 colonies at the start of the game is a plus, but how come the tax income can't really cover the building costs effectively. I ended up waiting for so many turns to build something.

3)Unit firing accuracy
    I know guns in this period is really terrible in terms of accuracy, but my men can't hit anything at point blank range, cause the enemy unit will end up marching straight at you in a blob. When the enemy unit touched my units ever so slightly, they ran away and started routing. I will talk about this in the next point, but I have seen so many times when the enemies are a few meters away from mine, none of them could hit anything anywhere, as if everyone was blind or they brought toy guns to fight.

4)Units AI
    As mentioned, the enemy units will just march up to my units, touched them and started routing, I haven't a clue why do they even tho that. This is even worse than vanilla AI. My units are also very stupid, they would rout when they just shattered an enemy unit because being exhausted. If the aim of this mod is realistic, this kind of AI is immersion breaking and unrealistic.

Conclusion
    I'd rather just play EU4 than coming back to ETW playing this mod. The unit designs are cool and the uniform upgrades are interesting. But the bugs are so immersion breaking, I'd never play up to the point to research new units to unlock new uniforms. Every battle is stupid to the point that is laughable.

Cavinano's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Very disappointed

I also tested the late period units in the custom battle, hoping they will be somehow more accurate but no, they all have the same issue in point #3.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed. The campaign was designed to be challengeing.

Hav you tried to play battles without the submod?

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Cavinano View Post
    There are a few issues I have encountered with this mod that i must point out. For both in-game and installation.
    I'm playing the version IS 2.2.1b with the Battle Realism submod.

Installation Issues:
    The mod only loads when i set the launcher shortcut to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Otherwise, it will just load the vanilla game with reskinned UI, British and French kings. I am using Windows 10.
    I am going to do a fresh download to see if I encounter this problem. I have windows 10 and a brand new laptop.

In-game issues:
    1)Unit costs
    Since the unit costs are so high, no one have enough money to muster anything, this slows down the gameplay a lot. It bored me.
    2)Building costs
    Same with the unit costs, I'm playing as the British. Having the 13 colonies at the start of the game is a plus, but how come the tax income can't really cover the building costs effectively. I ended up waiting for so many turns to build something.
    The unit cost was something the previous team used to make the game more challenging. It is something I am looking into. It won't change until I fully implement my slave trade mod. I am also building the game to accommodate 40 unit armies.

3)Unit firing accuracy
    I know guns in this period is really terrible in terms of accuracy, but my men can't hit anything at point blank range, cause the enemy unit will end up marching straight at you in a blob. When the enemy unit touched my units ever so slightly, they ran away and started routing. I will talk about this in the next point, but I have seen so many times when the enemies are a few meters away from mine, none of them could hit anything anywhere, as if everyone was blind or they brought toy guns to fight.
    4)Units AI
    As mentioned, the enemy units will just march up to my units, touched them and started routing, I haven't a clue why do they even tho that. This is even worse than vanilla AI. My units are also very stupid, they would rout when they just shattered an enemy unit because being exhausted. If the aim of this mod is realistic, this kind of AI is immersion breaking and unrealistic.
    Unit accuracy decreases with each firing. It is best to march in close then fire a volley. You will cause significant damage. If you fire at the maximum range, eventually, you will become "exhausted" and less accurate. I used the word "exhaustion" but that is inaccurate. It is cohesion. It is a must to have reserves. The mod requires hands on to be successful. The AI will choose to charge if it is more likely to win by charging. 18th-century warfare was often won at the tip of the bayonet, nut musket fire.

The mod is being overhauled to explicitly utilized cohesion. There are other things I am working on as well. You ca see my comments in the mod thread.

Conclusion
    I'd rather just play EU4 than coming back to ETW playing this mod. The unit designs are cool and the uniform upgrades are interesting. But the bugs are so immersion breaking, I'd never play up to the point to research new units to unlock new uniforms. Every battle is stupid to the point that is laughable.
    The battles are tough to mod. You fix one thing only to have somethng else no work.

Thanks for your feedback!

Civis

I will take advantage of the post to inform that the campaign is not challenging at all, in reality it is very easy which in turn makes it boring

for giving just ONE example, Prussia (if played by AI) does not declare war on anyone

The British are limited to blocking ports,

the French do not pass from the "netherlands".

I would like to know who is setting the campaign because I have some ideas.

The campaign was created by someone else. I am currently working on it now but it is very involved. People helping with the testing can attest to it.

Just to to give some idea are a few of the basic changes,...
    The Maratha no longer rampage India. In tests, Maratha have been destroyed and re-emerges within the same game.
    As Portugal I made an alliance with British, while fighting in India, the Britush sent an army to assist. Oddly enough it came from the Americas.
    The Ottoman bug appeared to have been resolved.
    Generally the large factions are aggressive while the smaller ones tend to fight within an alliance.

Keep in in mind that I have increased incomes for larger armies. Most of increase is in trade in which most goes towards building and maintaining an expensive navy. Ship of the lines can be early (historical) which is expensive in the early game. You have to build them because the AI waste no time. Tough for Portugal cause they have to defend both the port and the capital. If you lose the port you are done for.

Byall means pass pass along some ideas.
    Last edited by PikeStance; July 14, 2018 at 11:48 PM.

In my game I have made line units way cheaper and I am having way more fun now as I can finally recreate the war of spanish succession to some degree. As for the battles I find researching real life tactics and strategies always help win battles in TW games.

Foederatus

I have started playing this again after a 3 year hiatus (the lag got too bad after 100 turns) and I am absolutely loving it. Playing as Danmark and it is certainly a challenge. Keep up the good work fellas.

Foederatus

The Lag is back. Noooooooooooooo