View Poll Results: Do you like the historical settings of the last TW titles?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, awesome

33 42.86%
  • yes, but only one of the two (please expand if you wish)

7 9.09%
  • not at all

27 35.06%
  • yes, but I wish them to be .. (please expand)

10 12.99%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the historical setting of the last TW titles?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Do you like the historical setting of the last TW titles?

As per the Poll title!

Do you like the historical setting of the last announced TW titles?

Yes, I'm referring to both ToB and TK!

- yes, awesome
    - yes, but only one of the two (please expand if you wish)
    - not at all
    - yes, but I wish them to be .. (please expand)

comments are welcomed, as usual
    Last edited by Flinn; July 11, 2018 at 08:14 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Do you like the historical setting of the last TW titles?

The poll should have more options.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Blog Entries

tell me! like what?

however, you have the right to expand in the post itself, so..
    Last edited by Flinn; July 11, 2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I'd prefer Medieval 3.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Honestly yes, I like the settings. It's gameplay that I'm becoming less and less of a fan.

Blog Entries

Well as for me, the Chinese setting isn't very much interesting, the Brit one could be so but in any case I doubt I'll ever play any of the two

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I was excited about TOB, but after purchasing and playing, not so much. There is some game play innovation, like the family management system, but overall is just a re-skin of earlier warscape versions. I am particularly disappointed about the total lack of naval construction, movement and invasion abilities. Thats pretty much what the Vikings were all about.

So , I am leery of the Three Kingdoms, again, I will wait until after it has been released and read some reviews before I make a decision about purchase.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Well as for me, the Chinese setting isn't very much interesting, the Brit one could be so but in any case I doubt I'll ever play any of the two
    I admit I know nothing of Chinese history, but their war movies are damn good.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

I'm interested to see how CA handles a Three Kingdoms title, but not holding my breath on it being what it could/should be. I feel they are more about making money than making good games, but hopefully they surprise me. We do have a great M2TW mod about the Three Kingdoms here on TWC /endshamelessplug
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Blog Entries

I've split and moved the discussion about game engines, as it does not really pertain to the poll's question

you can find it here

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Excellent.

No, not at all. I'm a musket & fancy uniforms guy. Powder, dense smoke, huge formations, the beat of the drums are in my veins. I couldnt be more bored by both settings. But then again, even if they were around the 18th or 19th centuries, the basic gameplay has essentially not changed all that much. I doubt we will ever see a proper chain of command or army structure.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I voted "NOT AT ALL", because in my experience of historical tabletop wargamer, considering the series' historical purpose, the good old titles were perfect and far superior to the last ones (Rome2 and Attila), as you can easily verify by yourself, playing the historical Mods for RTW and Med2, like Roma Surrectum, Somnium Apostatae Juliani, or even Europa Barbarorum, or Invasio Barbarorum II, For King and Country, Stainless Steel and many more based on Kingdom exe. While modern titles such as Attila and Rome2 simply cannot generate any historical accuracy for the horrible technical limitations inherent their gaming mechanics, the old games were able to recreate a deep and enveloping historical atmosphere, giving a pleasant feeling of full immersion in history. In RTW and Med2 you are wargaming in history, in Attila, Rome 2 and in the last add-on Thrones of Britannia, you're just .. gaming.

But if we limit our interest only to the the aesthetic quality of units and environments, well, the last titles are almost perfect .. when modded.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

It should've been Medieval 3 or Kingdoms 3, etc. Not fantasy genre, it does NOT look good and appropriate to be TW game!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Yes, but i would want a WW2 version much like War Leaders: Clash of Nations but done by Creative Assembly who would know better how to make it not crash etc.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; July 20, 2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

I think i enjoy any historical setting. They just need to be executed well.

But i would prefer era of bayonet. Or pike and shot if pike and shot formations can be made to work well.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Yes...despite the fact that they both cover history ages that have been covered before by other TW games.
    For example: No TW game cover the so called "Dark Ages" that infact were "Golden Ages" for th emajority of the world exept central/west and northern europe.
    Civilisation on th erest of the world from 7th to 11th centuries were indeed the Golden Ages for Romans (you false still call them Byzantines), Arabs, Bulgarians and Slavs but also Vikings!
    Covering China is a good step for the next TW game (if it wont end up total fantacy game with supenatural heros) because that area was totaly neglected before.
    But I would like to see the timeframe TGC mod (that started as Golden Ages TW mod ten years earlier) in a TW game but without the idiotoc features Roma II and espesialy Attila introdused in TW series.
    Arabs and Slavs besieged Constantinople for 17months but not a single brick of the walls simply melted by the rain or time like the great feature of Attila sugests as a historical one!
    Also not matter the timeframe (historical setting) will be chosen , RESPECT of all cultures that will be in game should be a must! Its not game's responsibillity to judge history or those that created it!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Covering China is a good step for the next TW game (if it wont end up total fantacy game with supenatural heros)!
    They will certainly focus on super heroes. We already have plenty of videos showing and promoting them.
    I also don't like that, but as it seems it will be Three Kingdoms main selling feature-point.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    They will certainly focus on super heroes. We already have plenty of videos showing and promoting them.
    I also don't like that, but as it seems it will be Three Kingdoms main selling feature-point.
    Sud...1st we have walls that melt by rain and time...Now we will have superheros.. Its not TW anymore...They should change the title avoiding insulting previus TW games developers work.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Sud...1st we have walls that melt by rain and time...Now we will have superheros.. Its not TW anymore...They should change the title avoiding insulting previus TW games developers work.
    It's the era's trend sadly. Apart from that, I think it could be an interesting title. I just wanna be positive once more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast