Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USA's trade wars

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: USA's trade wars

Quote Originally Posted by Chukada1 View Post
    China is trying to court major companies to move their factories to China to produce in China to sell to China.

Tesla just signed an agreement to build a factory in Shanghai and produce 500,000 vehicles per year for the Chinese market. Jobs that could have stayed in the USA before USA started this trade war.

While the US is pursuing protectionism, China is opening up.
    Meh, marketing ploy to pump stock price in the face of the model 3 failures. Tesla's 11bn in debt and needs another 4 or 5bn beyond what's raised to build in China. Not enough bonding capacity and the timeline is too long for investors to weather the immediate risks. Ford and GM also have a similar deal where they don't need Chinese equity requirements to build in China, and have thus said "no thanks."
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

So... China enticed Tesla to build a factory with 100-200 jobs in shanghai by completely removing the joint venture demands? Cool, looks like no forced technology transfers.

Chinese import data from June showed 14% growth with 20% expected. This is down from 26% in May. Chinese domestic demand continues to weaken. Export growth beat expectations; growing the trade surplus with the US to a record high. Their growth in the coming months will be even more reliant on Trade with the US.
    Last edited by tgoodenow; July 12, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Exarch's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Picking a trade war with China? LOL This'll be interesting.

Once the MAGA fervour finishes its run, America will come back to its senses and will have to fight from an inferior position for Chinese marketshare.

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Picking a trade war with China? LOL This'll be interesting.Once the MAGA fervour finishes its run, America will come back to its senses and will have to fight from an inferior position for Chinese marketshare.
    I wouldn't be laughing about that, I consider it bad for the West and the world in general. Not catastrophic (like Yemen and Syria) but bad.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I wouldn't be laughing about that, I consider it bad for the West and the world in general. Not catastrophic (like Yemen and Syria) but bad.
    A global trade war the way Trump, Navarro, Lighthizer et al want it would be catastrophic for the world. You and i know it, the entire academic world knows it, everyone who studied 1930s history knows it because we have a real life eg to learn from: the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act which precipitated the Great Recession.

Trump's stupidity is that he listened to 'Death By China' Navarro when he actually went for the sane option back in May with Mnuchin, calling the trade war 'on hold'.
    Yet all it took was Navarro calling him a pussy in public and Steven Bannon calling him a race traitor to get Trump to get back onto the trade war bandwagon and sign his own administrative death warrant by picking a trade war with China, of all places.
    I got a C-note that says 6 months after midterms, Trump caves and negotiates a face saving deal with China so he can declare victory; he's staked his Administration and prestige on the S&P500 and the economy as a whole. When reality hits, all that's going to keep him in power is the personality cult of angry white men who have failed to prosper despite their white privilege in the United States.

EDIT: and waddya know, traitor American companies backstab american workers by continuing to trade with China in greater quantities and frequencies after tariffs announced despite the Trump bribe of tax cuts.
    China's Trade Surplus With the U.S. Just Keeps on Growing
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-than-forecast

Truly, Making America Great Again.
    Last edited by Exarch; July 13, 2018 at 05:00 PM.

NorseThing's Avatar Moderator

From Reuters:

After a strong start to the year, growth in China's exports has moderated recently, and is expected to face more pressure from the initial round of U.S. tariffs. Both official and private business surveys reported softer export orders last month as the trade row deepens.
    In a sign Beijing is seeking alternative supplies of the commodities as it hit U.S. imports with extra tariffs, China had dropped import tariffs on a range of animal feed ingredients from several Asian countries.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/r-chi...ensions-2018-7

Click the link to read the full article.

I think the chances of a full blown trade war are very exaggerated. Even the Reuters article notes that the fear of such a trade war drops the Chinese currency. If China does not want things to get worse, they need to support a stronger currency which in theory would satisfy much of Pres. Trumps complaints against China and loosen the tariffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    From Reuters:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-chi...ensions-2018-7

Click the link to read the full article.

I think the chances of a full blown trade war are very exaggerated. Even the Reuters article notes that the fear of such a trade war drops the Chinese currency. If China does not want things to get worse, they need to support a stronger currency which in theory would satisfy much of Pres. Trumps complaints against China and loosen the tariffs.
    Trump could've gotten all of that...but Navarro needs to sell 'Death By China' books so of course americans have to put up with higher prices and unemployment. Priorities, man!

Funny thing is, even if korea, japan, german companies were to set up companies in the CONUS, they're still gonna get hit by european/Chinese/Canadian tariffs as exports of the US. This is the reason why you don't hand a trillion dollar economy to 'trade wars are easy to win' Trump and 'death by China' Navarro and the collective economics of the altright.

NorseThing's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Trump could've gotten all of that...but Navarro needs to sell 'Death By China' books so of course americans have to put up with higher prices and unemployment. Priorities, man!

Funny thing is, even if korea, japan, german companies were to set up companies in the CONUS, they're still gonna get hit by european/Chinese/Canadian tariffs as exports of the US. This is the reason why you don't hand a trillion dollar economy to 'trade wars are easy to win' Trump and 'death by China' Navarro and the collective economics of the altright.
    Navarro's main complaint with China is simply that they are keeping the currency artificially low to boost exports. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Navarro

I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with selling books. Really! He is an academic. I am certain your posts here are going to do more for his selling of a book than higher unemployment and higher prices would be linked to such policies. By the way your claim is also a bit academic and not proven yet which is pretty much like any Navarro claim in a book regarding what will happen.

The fact is he is a minor player within the Trump universe simply because Trump agrees with his ideas. Navarro is not stopping anything on the policy front.

In any case, this is clearly a wait and see what develops scenario. I favor China raising the value of it's currency relative to the US dollar whether that be manipulation or not is in the eye of the beholder. No different than the Fed and short term rates.

China’s Ministry of Commerce on Thursday night issued a statement defending itself, arguing that its trade surplus with the US was not its fault and denying that it had stolen technology from the US or that it had forced foreign companies to transfer their technology.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/econ...eople-know-its

They won't even admit to their wrong doings, they deserve this gutting.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Navarro's main complaint with China is simply that they are keeping the currency artificially low to boost exports. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Navarro

I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with selling books. Really! He is an academic. I am certain your posts here are going to do more for his selling of a book than higher unemployment and higher prices would be linked to such policies. By the way your claim is also a bit academic and not proven yet which is pretty much like any Navarro claim in a book regarding what will happen.

The fact is he is a minor player within the Trump universe simply because Trump agrees with his ideas. Navarro is not stopping anything on the policy front.

In any case, this is clearly a wait and see what develops scenario. I favor China raising the value of it's currency relative to the US dollar whether that be manipulation or not is in the eye of the beholder. No different than the Fed and short term rates.
    Navarro's an academic the same way Andrew Wakefield is an academic: a discredited 'academic' who's shunned by his peers and the academic consensus; it's clear to see Navarro has been playing the altright angle along with Bannon so as to make it politically impossible for Trump to do anything other than trade war. Trump actually made a deal back in May ffs, that would've solved the trade issue but nup, Navarro stonewalled him and Mnuchin had to STFU or get lynched by angry MAGA wearing mobs.

In any case, China and Germany will be sidestepping the USD (esp. in trade with Iran) and a lower yuan (Which the PBOC has devalued in the leadup to July, anticipating such a trade war) is gonna help with exports hence US firms stampeding back into China to set up factories, hell Tesla's Elon Musk just announced a brand new factory in China. He is a traitor who now must be shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2