Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the most Christian country?

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: What is the most Christian country?

You are referring to the Confederacy during the time of the Civil War, correct?

Confederate Soldier's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes, however I'm referring to it as in modern times. Its not called the Bible Belt for nothing.
    Proud Crusader for the F.A.I.T.H. and Gunslinger for DIXIE
    People don’t want to live in a world where god’s fight amongst each other, One God is Enough! -Alex Rosewater

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Soldier View Post
    Confederate States of America.
    I think he was asking for non fictional countries.

Anyhoo, most "Christian" countries have a secular gov't. The only state I can think of that doesn't have one is the Vatican.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Well, I guess his question has been answered, yes?

If I had to guess, I'd say South Korea.

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

There are no solely Christian, Muslim, Jewish, ect.. laws or commandments. Where did the Ten Commandments come from? What was the inspiration behind the teachings of the Bible and Koran? Not God, I assure you, but man.

Every single divine commandment can be translated directing into terms of survival, for what instinct is greater than that self preservation? Evolution and natural selection can be credited as the main drive behind morality, lets take a look through some of the religious "biggies".

Thou shall not kill

That's easy, if killing is shunned and people ban together to enforce it, then I'm all the safer. My risk of being killed in my everyday life goes down thus making it more likely I will reproduce, passing on my DNA.

Thou shall worship no god but God

Humans did not get to the top by brute force, we did it by being intelligent, social beings. To quote a favorite movie of mine. Strength through Unity; Unity through Faith. What will instill such a unity but a shared belief system, there is strength in numbers, and those numbers will be safe to grow.

It's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven.

That's right, spread some of that wealth around and help me out a bit, if my family can survive better with the help of your charity than my legacy survives.

Remember, many of the peoples in these biblical eras and places lived in tribes and close it communities. Aiding your neighbor was like aiding yourself, he helped you in return and it was likely that you were not so distantly related anyway. By helping him likely helped a very similar genetic code survive, thus natural selection had transcended the individual.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

How about Ethiopia? Eh? Halie selassie and all?

Ethiopia is apparently the second oldest christian nation on Earth.
    Last edited by RZZZA; January 19, 2007 at 08:30 PM.

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ssfsx17 View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say South Korea.
    ...you're kidding right?

I think a lot of tiny Pacific nations (Tonga etc) are very Christian. Their laws are very Christian influenced as opposed to secular, and the people are still VERY religious (think on the same level as many South Americans or Filipinos)

SickBoy13's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    How about Ethiopia? Eh? Halie selassie and all?

Ethiopia is apparently the second oldest christian nation on Earth.
    Second to...Armenia.
    EDIT: I have to get my nationalism under control...

Quote Originally Posted by vikrant1986 View Post
    vatican city is the most Christian country cause 100% of its population is Christian
    most of the citisens are prists and cardinals even =) lol
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Feliks,you tend to draw too severe conclusions.For all this you say to be true,like explaining commandments with hypothetical evolutionary desire for safety or success of survival-is necessary the believers to WISH,TO AIM that,to BE AWARE of it.Otherwise it is quite unreasonable.And for sure i don't believe i must be good cause i rely on smbd else's goodness for my survival.That's funny,man ! Everybody relies on his labour or capabilities.But it is things like goodness that give a different taste of life even for the richest,that makes them part of a community and smth like love drives them to this,or compassion to other human beings,not loneliness or desire for safety.
    And i think christianity has always been a religion of individualism,though it has a rather social side also.Remember the first hermits in Egypt,the monk communities,the celibacy-it is all introversial,pointing to oneself.Therefore i think it is irrelevant to assume some countries laws or official doctrine like anglo-saxon protestantism for a matter of importance.Instead you have to count the common culture of a population,inspired by this individualism.But if smbd is a muslim he cannot understand that,cause there they are far more socially oriented.As general this individualism and the following of it freedom of thought and action,equality and brotherhood ,in spite of the doctrines and dogmas,are most common for all places where christianity is the dominant religion,from London to Vladivostok and including the islands in pacific and so on.
    So in my opinion most christian country will be that where you can see the culture of people mostly defined by these principles of christianity and the derivatives from the individualism,the freedom of society,the freedom of soul/but still standing in the morals/,the freedom of exploration,the belief in good work,the belief in perfection and things like that which are typical for West.Civilisation !

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Felicissimus, with all due respect, I can not see how you can claim that the laws and commandments presented in biblical texts derive from individualism. Laws, by definition, dictate how you behave in society.

There is strength in numbers, why else would we all have the sub conscience urge to fit, to make allies? Is it so inconceivable to imagine that people who had instincts that would guide them to be more compatible in working with others would be stronger as a whole because of it?

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy13 View Post
    Second to...Armenia.
    EDIT: I have to get my nationalism under control...
    OLDEST

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Vatican is about 100% Catholic....

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but I think the United States. In terms of its constitution and laws, the "Founding Fathers" based them off of Christian theology with a mix of Enlightment Philosophy; for example, all the freedoms protected by the government are similar to the free-will that God gave us. Also, that "all men are created equal" has to do with Christian theology (although at the time the only reason slavery was ironically kept was to create a status quo between the Northern states and the Southern states. Another key fact was that most of the abolitionists who formed the Republican Party in the 1860s were very religious.)

What I personally feel with the consitution and what problems I have with the "Seperation of Church and State" is I feel that the constitution wanted to keep the government out of the church (trying to prevent what happened in England with the Anglican Church, as well as trying to eliminate the threat of the government manipulating the Church in certain ways to benefit itself, like trying to eliminate opponents or to increase influence) not the church out of the government. The reason for having a religious influence is that they would be given a system of ethics and morals (like, for instance what the Bible has to say about the Ten Commandments). However, it's a double edged sword as take for instance the level of corruption in the Roman Catholic Church (many of its doctrines, such as confessionals, the sale of indulgences, and mandantory clerical celibacy are either prohibited, or strongly disapproved by the Bible) and Islam (the radical and militant portion).

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by LoZz View Post
    OLDEST
    um yeah. Armenia is the oldest Christian nation.....

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Yakov's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...you're kidding right?

I think a lot of tiny Pacific nations (Tonga etc) are very Christian. Their laws are very Christian influenced as opposed to secular, and the people are still VERY religious (think on the same level as many South Americans or Filipinos)
    please stop realating filipinos with south americans were in any way not like them

If you're robbing a bank and you're pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too because, come on, life is funny.

SickBoy13's Avatar Ordinarius

You are former spanish "colonies".

I'd say Vatican...
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sigilus View Post
    I'd say Vatican...

Considering the fact that nearly all of the traditional Catholic treasures were thrown out in Vatican II, I'd have to say no to that one.

Hungary, hands down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast