Thread: Crops or Herds?

Bohz's Avatar Libertus

Icon5 Crops or Herds?

Hi everyone.
    Since granaries are not working, I've committed into doing the only reasonable thing left: build farms.
    Farms, unfortunatly, don't yield any food in winter (when fertility drops), as their food production heavily relies on fertility.
    Herds instead have a higher unrelated-to-fertility food output, thus appearing as a far more appealing option to me.
    They even provide identical (if not superior) economic boni, for the same price (upfront and maintenance wise)
    So here's my question: any point in building crops anymore?
    Am I missing something?

Btw, I know the food part is still a bit of a WIP right now, so I'm bothering you with my post just to let you know smth that you might have skipped for more important stuff.

As always, keep up the great work!

Vale

Default Re: Crops or Herds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohz View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Since granaries are not working, I've committed into doing the only reasonable thing left: build farms.
    Farms, unfortunatly, don't yield any food in winter (when fertility drops), as their food production heavily relies on fertility.
    Herds instead have a higher unrelated-to-fertility food output, thus appearing as a far more appealing option to me.
    They even provide identical (if not superior) economic boni, for the same price (upfront and maintenance wise)
    So here's my question: any point in building crops anymore?
    Am I missing something?

Btw, I know the food part is still a bit of a WIP right now, so I'm bothering you with my post just to let you know smth that you might have skipped for more important stuff.

As always, keep up the great work!

Vale
    Crops provide more food in the most fertile provinces, even when there is a fertility drop in winter. Remember that you can also boost fertility by building public wells, which makes crops more useful.

That said, I do find myself building cattle farms much more frequently, particularly the native land farms for the Hellenic factions. That's at least partly because you can build them to a higher level, and so even with a higher fertility level they can often be a better source of food.

Hopefully future updates will rebalance the crops and cattle aspect of the farms.

Fish. Lots of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Fish. Lots of fish.
    This

Bohz's Avatar Libertus

Will go fishing then..
    thnx everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    Crops provide more food in the most fertile provinces, even when there is a fertility drop in winter. Remember that you can also boost fertility by building public wells, which makes crops more useful.

That said, I do find myself building cattle farms much more frequently, particularly the native land farms for the Hellenic factions. That's at least partly because you can build them to a higher level, and so even with a higher fertility level they can often be a better source of food.

Hopefully future updates will rebalance the crops and cattle aspect of the farms.
    Overall, cattle farms are a fair bit more profitable and honestly tend to produce sufficient food. I'd like to have these buildings more situational. Farms (or estates/latifunda) should be the go-to in any high fertility province. Cattle is for the low fertility areas where you can't grow crops and thus wouldn't be able to rely on that form of agriculture for subsistence. I think there is already quite a solid balance in terms of food between the two. Could perhaps adjust the yields slightly to pronounce the differences more. But if any significant change is to take place, it should concern the additional income from fertility to my mind. More such income from farms - perhaps also a more pronounced difference between base income between crops and cattle
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

But what is the point of having extra extra global food surplus if you still suffer from famine penalty at your food-deficit regions? At present, I find having cattle everywhere, even in Egypt, makes more economic sense.

so granary or another public land slot?? Most of my settlements are still at lvl 2 or 3 in the less fertile regions, but I can see I'm not going to have enough food in some and I've got the granaries at lvl 2 so far, with the tech to max them a few turns away.

seems like unless you are importing or exporting food the fields are the way to go..right?