Thread: Illustrations of Hussite soldiers, wagons and standards

Icon3 Illustrations of Hussite soldiers, wagons and standards

Germans fighting Hussites in Sammelhandschrift zur Kriegskunst after Johannes Hartlieb. Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek Cod. 3062 Han
    . Hussite handgunners in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath, based on the Johannes Hartlieb: 'Kriegsbuch' miniature
    . A Hussite pavise in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath, based on the Johannes Hartlieb: 'Kriegsbuch' miniature
    Hussite Wagon Fortress in Sammelhandschrift zur Kriegskunst, 1437, Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek Cod. 3062 Han
    . A Hussite War-Wagon c.1430 in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath
    Jan Zizka leading his troops, Göttingen Codex, Hussite, late 15th century Bohemia
    . An Utraquist Priest in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath, based on an illumination of Jan Zizka leading his troops
    Hussite crossbowmen portrayed on a stove tile, 15th century Bohemia
    Other Hussite soldiers portrayed on stove tiles, 15th century Bohemia
    Caricature of a Taborite brethren with a studded flail, Hussite, 15th century Bohemia
    . Hussite Wagon Soldiers in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath, based on a stove tile and Taborite brethren
    A Hussite War Wagon, circa 1445-50, in Das Buch von Kaiser

Battle of Domazlice, 1431, Jena Codex, Hussite, early 16th century Bohemia
    Hussite Baggage Wagons, Jena Codex
    Jan Zizka leading his troops, Jena Codex, Hussite, early 16th century Bohemia

. Hussite Flags in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 2 by Ian Heath from various illuminations.

Was the goose drinking from the chalice first (or only) used by their opponents as a derogatory emblem? Was it adopted by the Hussites? Derogatory slurs have been adopted by groups to defuse them, e.g. Quakers, Shakers, Cherry Bums, Rats of Tobruk, etc.

Mirror Sites
    Hussites in Sammelhandschrift zur Kriegskunst after Johannes Hartlieb. Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek Cod. 3062 Han
    Jan Zizka leading his troops, Göttingen Codex, Hussite, late 15th century Bohemia
    Hussite soldiers portrayed on a stove tile, 15th century Bohemia
    Caricature of a Taborite brethren with a studded flail, Hussite, 15th century Bohemia
    A Hussite War Wagon, circa 1445-50, in Das Buch von Kaiser
    Hussite soldiers in the Jena Codex, early 16th century Bohemia

Druzhina345
    15th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Illustrations of Hussite soldiers, wagons and standards

Amazing illustrations as ever. I always assumed the Hussites were a poorly equipped peasant army. Looking at some of the illustrations I realize that assumption to be quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    Amazing illustrations as ever. I always assumed the Hussites were a poorly equipped peasant army. Looking at some of the illustrations I realize that assumption to be quite wrong.
    That is a common misconception. The rebellion was initiated, and moderate factions were led and funded by lower aristocracy and burghers. Czech lands were quite rich at the time and since the rebellion encompassed people from all social classes, including many artisans, tradesmen and clergy, they could compensate the small number of knights among them by arming the common soldiers much better than was standard for medieval armies. Although they did start with quite poor equipment, once they had time to organize, the level of organization and equipment of common soldiers of most Hussite factions was, at the time, unparalleled in medieval world.

About the goose and chalice...I don't think it originated as derogatory. Goose was adopted as one of main symbols of some Hussite movements very early on because, typical for Czech humour, it's a language pun on Jan Hus's name. The chalice is, I think, quite self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    About the goose and chalice...I don't think it originated as derogatory. Goose was adopted as one of main symbols of some Hussite movements very early on because, typical for Czech humour, it's a language pun on Jan Hus's name. The chalice is, I think, quite self-explanatory.
    Thanks. Google translate from Czech gives me husa and husí for goose(and husy for geese.)

Druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    Thanks. Google translate from Czech gives me husa and husí for goose(and husy for geese.)

Druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
    To specify. Czech is an inflective language. Hus "means of geese". Though in some dialects, and I think in the past, hus was also term for male goose, though nowadays the term is houser.

Just for fun, his surname was derived from his birthplace, Husinec. Which means goose coop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    To specify. Czech is an inflective language. Hus "means of geese". Though in some dialects, and I think in the past, hus was also term for male goose, though nowadays the term is houser.

Just for fun, his surname was derived from his birthplace, Husinec. Which means goose coop.
    Thanks again Sar1n, very interesting.

druzhina345

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    Being Czech myself... I would say they were not proffesionals from beggining. Their equipment evolved but in such manner that they were highly effective in what they were doing. Farmers had experience with vagons, experience with agriculture equipment, combine it with a few highly skilled commanders and you have decent army, they also were quite good in using terrain and due to all these won a lot battles while outnumbered. Heavy vagons, lot firearms, early guns, crossbows and heavy weapons so armored opponents were not big problem for them and especially horse charges. With advantage in guns they could easily provoke enemy, shooting horses and stopping charges with Wagenburg and then counterattacking with infantry and light cavalry.. While Wagenburg provided excelent defense for early firearms...

Prime example of battle hardened commander is Jan Žižka, national hero, never defeated in battle, veteral of Battle of Grunwald and an innovator in the use of gunpowder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_%C5%BDi%C5%BEka
    Some examples of their weaponry
    http://husitstvi.cz/wp-content/uploa...-vystroj06.jpg
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)