Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Northern Excursion

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default A Northern Excursion

Gerald d'Avranches has marched his army north toward Richmond with the intent of subduing any remaining rebellion in the county. Marching with him is army; men still high on morale from their recent victory against Mortain. Hopefully with their armies scattered and their lord exiled they would easily bend, however Gerald was more than ready to press the issue.

Riders have been sent to nearby Saxon lords for assistance on handling this matter, as well as Lord de Tosny.

Entering the province of Aysgarth/Bolton, Lord d'Avranches orders the provincial lords to come out. They must swear oaths of loyalty to King Edgar and offer highborn hostages to ensure their compliance.

d'Avranches
    Gerald d'Avranches
    Skills:
    +2 battles
    +1 personal combat
    +1 Survival
    +2 wealth
    +1 Charisma
    -1 to rout/assassination/escape rolls.

Levy
    KN 51
    SGT 77
    FYRD 102
    FT 102
    AR 102
    HOB 77

Retinue

KN 25
    SGT 75

Total: 611 men
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 08, 2018 at 01:02 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: A Northern Excursion

A huscarl, sent from Osulf's army, arrives to give word that the Earl of Bernicia was moving towards Aysgarth and would be joining the Norman's forces in a couple hours.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

A Norman knight arrives to inform d'Avranches that de Tosny would move to join his forces and should arrive in several hours.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Waltheof sends a representative forth to inform d’Aranches that his men will be joining, the man was old and war torn, the messenger was a Norse Huscarl and veteran of Siward’s wars. The Earl of Northampton and Huntington sought to keep this subjection of Rufus’ former territories as bloodless as possible, completely bloodless if God was good, lest any violence overflow into his own northern territories.

Citizen

Once all the troops assemble Earl d'Avranches invites the commanders to meet with him at the camp command post to discuss the upcoming campaign. He is ready to pursue this military expedition as far as needed, but wishes to hear the views and concerns of the other Lords. As well as any insight they can bring of the troops and lords they will be facing.

Earl Waltheof makes his way into the tent, the same old Huscarl by his right side and a younger one at the opposite. He did not understand the intention of this meeting to direct the “campaign”, the war was over, Mortain dead and Rufus sent into exile without complaint.. he suspected that few if any tenants this far north had a any interest in a De Normandie King. The bearded Earl of Northampton places himself in his seat, combing at his beard with an inquisitive hand.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 01:18 AM.

Raoul de Tosny arrives at the command tent with two knights, and starts looking at the map laid out on the table, talking with his knights in French.

Citizen

Osulf enters the tent when him and his troops arrive. He quietly takes his place with the other three lords.

Citizen

With the lords assembled Gerald prepares to say his words to them. Though there was not a lot to address, a few things should be set out. "Lords, I thank you for answering my summons. With our combined numbers the provincial lords of Richmond should not prove difficult to deal with. Some may even bend without a fight.

However, if I can I wish to avoid the need for violence all together. I intend to press my wife's claim for Rufu's former lands, being his sister I believe it may prompt some of the more reluctant lords to agree to surrender.

I have been charged by Edgar to settle this issue, furthermore as his steward I act in his stead.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 09, 2018 at 03:07 PM.

Waltheof Siwardson spoke first, in English. “Press her claim, d'Avranches?” He questioned, taken back by the boldness of the man’s proclamation. “Were we not called here to see these lands capitulate to King Edgar, by his own proclamation Rufus was stripped of lands and possessions in England, returning the properties to the crown..” He crossed his arms, waving a hand as if to change subjects. “I do believe however, that the lords will surrender when approached in the King’s name, Rufus has accepted that his lands are forfeit and returned himself to the continent.. the thegns and knights here have no reason to fight.” The Earl would like to believe no man could be thick enough to fight as a single shire against all England, they’d fulfilled their duty to Rufus as well, so honor could be preserved even in their surrender.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 03:53 PM.

After one of the Saxon earls spoke, de Tosny turns to d'Avranches, and speaks in French. "The matter of any claimants to the honour of Richmond is something for his majesty to decide upon his return from Normandie, d'Avranches, is it not? All we are tasked to do is ensure their surrender and oaths to the crown due to the estates being forfeited to the crown, if I recall his majesty's decree" he pauses for a moment. "I doubt violence should not be an issue unless some of the supporters of Mortain's cause are left, although I would imagine most of them from Richmond would've fled with the remains of the Norman host or on their own following the news of the battle spreading north."
    Last edited by Xion; July 09, 2018 at 03:51 PM.

Citizen

The lack of enthusiasm among the other Lords was somewhat disappointing to Gerald, he would have liked some support on the matter. Though their disinterest in his proposal would not dissuade him, though it may have tempered it somewhat. "Thank you gentleman for your advise, I do see reason in being patient and waiting, however I also recognize the potential such a move could benefit our campaign. I will attempt to placate these provincial lords temporarily, offer them reasonable terms if they surrender. With my wife's claims proving extra incentive for their placation. Once subjugated I will garrison troops and raise castles in these provinces from my own purse, what he does with it upon his return is upon him." Though Gerald did hope the king rewarded such work, these fortification could help to tame the norther reaches of the realm, as well as to provide a foothold from which a defensive network could be built against Scotland.

"Now as for regards to this army, once we take Bolton I intend to split our forces in two. One group under me will march north by way of Reeth - Startforth - Richmond - Croft. The second marching south under Lord de Tosny by way of Leyburn - Masham - Wath - Bedale

If god forbid anything were to happen to me then Lord de Tosny will stand in my stead as overall commander."

(After the meeting ends, Lord d'Avranches sends a rider to the lords of Richmond asking for their surrender, they will stand down any forces, officially swear fealty to King Edgar, as well as recognize his wife's tenure over Richmond by way of being Rufus's sister.)
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 10, 2018 at 06:02 PM.

“King Edgar will return before the year is out, surly castles should not be built on his lands without his seal of approval.” He gently scratched his own cheek. No man simply built castles out of the goodness of their heart, no they built them to protect what was theirs or what they believed to be theirs by right or otherwise. Something seemed wrong about all this. “Such projects would be no where near completion before our leige returns.. Richmond is the only castle in the shire, we must extract oaths for the King from the nobility there. By the word or by the sword .” He cleared his throat with a pat on his chest. “Once those oaths are given it will be a simple thing to transfer power to whomever the king would see the lands transferred to.”
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 09:26 PM.

Citizen

Ownership of these lands was null and voided by proclamation of the King, Lord d'Avranches.

Osulf spoke up as his eyes glance over at the Norman. If Alan Rufus's claims were null than that certainly extended to the rest of their family.

If you have right by your wife, whose claim is null by proclamation, then I have every right to claim these lands in revenge for that bastard Alan for killing my son!

He slams his fists down on the table, the emotions bottled up finally opened.

They killed my son, a man who defended his King with all his might and loyalty!
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 09, 2018 at 09:44 PM.

Citizen

“King Edgar will return before the year is out, surly castles should not be built on his lands without his seal of approval.” He gently scratched his own cheek. No man simply built castles out of the goodness of their heart, no they built them to protect what was theirs. Something seemed wrong about all this. “Such projects would be no where near completion before our leige returns.. Richmond is the only castle in the shire, we must attempt to extract oaths for the king from the nobility there. Before anything else is attempted.” He cleared his throat with a pat on his chest. “Once those oaths are given it will be a simple thing to transfer power to your lady wife, should the crown consent.”
    "If the king decides other wise I shall acquiesce, but for now I will go forward with the matter. It is better to establish the groundwork for any future tenure now, while there are still troops on the ground. Now as for the matter of castles, I seek their erection for more than personal reasons. I do so for the security of the realm. The king has expressed a desire to fortify the western and northern reaches against opportunistic attack. A castle building campaign does just that."

Turning to Lord Osulf now, "We have all lost family to war, including myself. Alan died a noble death in defense of a good king, your families sacrifice is notable, and I am sure Edgar will see you justly rewarded. Though for now you would base such a claim upon vengeance, while I have one based upon blood, one that I mean to press now while moment is still hot." Giving the man a steady gaze "Your recompense has yet to come, Rufus still lives, you still have the chance to enact your revenge. Know that I have no more love for the man than you do, and wish all those traitors slow deaths."

"Bend on this matter and you will have my gratitude as well as my future aide, I sit on the kings council, I can remind him of the sacrifices your family has made."

Last edited by chesser2538; July 09, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

Waltheof turned to Osulf, giving him a stiff nod, his discomfort evident from it. “Father, I know the death of Maldred pains you deeply, I have known such pain when God took my son Uhtred from me... the blood feud with Alan’s kin will be settled I promise with my help if need be. Edgar is a good king and will see your family rewarded generously, and see those tenants here that are guilty made accountable..” He sighed turning back toward the Norman. “With all due respect to your lady wife these lord’s will swear oaths to the king, as these are the king’s lands.. to have Richmond swear oaths under false pretense would be a betrayal of the king’s trust and a betrayal of our own souls.” He was beginning to believe he understood why this man was so adimant that oaths be sworn to his wife. “I fail to see how any other outcome could be acceptable to all those sat here.”
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 10:06 PM.

Citizen

Looking to Waltheof "The king empowered me to deal with this matter, to secure Richmond and deal with any errant provincial lords. I intend to do so not just for now but for the future. Securing my wife's claim fills both purposes." leveling his tone to a calm but authoritative tone "Additionally I am within my right to do so as the kings steward, any repercussions will be my own." turning back to the group at large "As has been stated Edgar will be returning by years end and I intend for Richmond to be dealt with before then. Now as commander of this expedition you can either help me, or get out of my way."
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 09, 2018 at 10:53 PM.

“As you say.” Waltheof replied, standing and nodding toward the Steward. “I will not attempt to stop you, my oaths to Edgar would prohibit such an action, but I cannot be complicit in this either for fear of it going against the King’s wishes.” He gave a nod to Osulf and de Tosny, a man he had only just met. “May God light your paths, my lords. Especially yours father.” He clapped his hands together and headed for the door, closely followed by his two huscarls.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 11:22 PM.

de Tosny and his knights watch as d'Avranches argues with the two Saxons, one of his knights attempting to translate at least parts of what d;Avranches was saying. One Saxon got up and left, after which de Tosny sighed. It seemed d'Avranches was determined to press a claim that very well could be void by the king's decree and wanted to build castles to secure the land...for himself. "d'Avranches, your messenger told me I was to come and assist in pacifying Richmond for the king, not to support a claimant to the honour, one whose claim very well may be void as per the king's decree." he pauses for a moment. "Or assist in securing this shire for the future by building castles in it, ones that likely will not be completed by the time the king returns from Normandie." Raoul orders one of his knights to go tell his men to prepare to march. "As that is what this campaign is to be, I shall take my leave. Adieu." de Tosny nods to both men and leaves with the remaining knight, with his men leaving the camp shortly after.

Citizen

Osulf watches as Waltheof and de Tosny leave, unwilling to aid the ambitions of this Norman Marcher Lord. The Saxon remains silent for a moment before standing up from the table.

Lord de Tosny is right, you called us forth to pacify these lands... not to support a claim that was voided by royal decree. I, too, will follow the same words as Waltheof. My oath to our good King bars me from standing in your way. To do so would dishonor the memory of my son, who died with sword in hand and protecting a king he was loyal to the very end. And so, I take my leave of this expedition.

The Earl of Bernicia turns away and leaves the tent without saying another word. Shortly after the soldiers of his lands depart the encampment returning North via Westmorland and Cumbria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast