Thread: Estates of Godwin Godwinson

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Estates of Godwin Godwinson

Godwin, Head Hancho The eldest son of King Harold Godwinson, Godwin was born from the union of King Harold and Edith the Fair. In the year 1066 Anno Domini, Godwin marched with his father to the battles of both Stamford Bridge and Hastings, fighting to defend his father's newly gained throne.

With the death of his father and the shattering of Anglo-Saxon strength at Hastings, Godwin fled with his brother Edmund, seeking allies to aid them in avenging their father and reclaiming England.

Godwin is a man of middling height and better than average looks. He tends towards being a well groomed, stylish man, having always taken especial pride in his long blonde locks and braided mustache.

Traits:
    +4 Battles (2 Trait, 1 Temperament, 1 Wye)
    +1 Personal Combat
    +2 Charisma (3 Trait, -1 Temperament)

Temperaments:
    Phlegmatic
    - Reserved
    This character is a stoic who generally keeps to him/herself and exercises strict control over their emotions. While this means they're not likely to make reckless moves in court or on the battlefield, they can come across as unfeeling robots to others. +1 battle rolls, -1 Charisma

Household Dunster, Somerset:
    Ardeth Osulfdohter (Born 1054): Wife
    Gytha Godwindohter (Born 1072): Daughter
    Tostig Godwinson (Born 1073): Son
    Magnus Haroldson (Born 1051): Brother
    Harold Haroldson (Born 1066): Brother
    Ulf Haroldson (Born 1066): Brother

Lands Demesne Size: 10/15

Somerset:
    Taunton - Prosperous Income
    Welling - Prosperous Income
    Dulverton - Average Income
    Williton/Dunster - Average Income
    Bridgwater - Prosperous Income
    Langport - Prosperous Income
    Yeovil - Prosperous Income
    Chard - Prosperous Income

Devonshire:
    Honiton/Hemyock - Prosperous Income
    Axminster - Average Income

Annual Income: 3,350
    Modified Income: 5,863

Retinue and Levies Standing:
    25 Huscarls
    75 Thegns
    Total: 100 men

Levies:
    10 Provinces x 130 = 1,300 Men (Maximum)
    4x Coastal Provinces x 20 = 80 Ships

Levy Makeup:
    15 Huscarls, 20 Thegns, 30 Fyrdmen, 25 English Footmen, 25 English Archers, 15 Hobelars

Buildings Tier I:
    Armed Peasants: Add 5 English Bowmen and 5 English Footmen to base levy
    Tenant Homesteads: +5% land income
    Castle Village: +5% land income
    Fishing Village (Coastal holding only): +5% land income. Adds 5 ships to ship levy.
    Mustering Fields: +1 to levy call up rolls
    Local Blacksmiths: -5% to levy upkeep
    Tier II:
    Fyrd Barracks: Adds ten Fyrdmen to base levy
    Peasant Farmsteads: +10% land income
    Castle Town: +10% land income
    Small Fishery (coastal holding only): +10% land income. Adds 5 ships to ship levy.
    Training fields: +1 to levy call up rolls
    Tier III:
    Vassal Network: Adds 5 Thegns and 5 Huscarls to base levy
    Coastal Town: +10% land income. Adds 10 ships to ship levy.
    Rented Estates: +10% land income
    Castle Market: +10% land income
    Castles:
    Stone Keep (+7 siege defense, +50% garrison, and +4 to levy rolls in the province it is constructed in) in Dunster, Somerset.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; August 04, 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: Estates of Godwin Godwinson

A messenger from the Burh of Rising arrives: Wulfnoth Godwinson, the long-lost uncle of the Godwining children, has returned to his home soil at last, having been released from Rouen by the English army of Mar Bageard. Godwin's twin Edmund has promptly busied himself with preparations for a Godwining family reunion to celebrate Wulfnoth's homecoming.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; July 07, 2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: null perceval

After his conversation with Osulf of Northumbria, Richard Perceval rides for Godwin Haroldson's residence as the Earl had suggested, far to the south from his and Northumbria's lands.

Godwin’s keep at Dunster is much like his brother’s in Norfolk, an homage to the halls their ancestors once say in, nearly as cozy even if less secure. Richard is allowed entrance and within finds Godwin, oddly enough the man was here administering his own lands for the time being rather than serving at the King’s court. Haroldson was wrapped in furs, and makes brief eyecontact as the Norman approaches, gesturing for him to speak.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 12, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

"Lord Godwin." Perceval greeted with a respectful nod. "I have received Lord Osulf's permission to marry your lady sister, Gunhild, on the condition that her son - his grandson - is taught the ways of his Saxon ancestors, and eventually sent to squire for him when he's of age. Northumbria has also informed me that she will be granted the Honour of Westmoreland as her dower, in order to support her in this trying time. I come to you now to ask about one last thing: the dowry." He mentally braced himself as he waited for Godwin's response. Few men much liked talking dowries, his father included, for who wanted to part with sums of money save those so open-handed they were practically saints already? But it was a custom of not just Saxon and Norman alike, but all Christendom in general, and so it had to be done.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; July 12, 2018 at 07:54 PM.

There was a long silence as Godwin sank deep into his seat, the furs nearly enveloping his entire form. “2,000.” Haroldson’s voice came blankly, as he pushed himself into a proper seated position. “2,000 pounds for my dearest and beloved sister, on the condition that you treat her as a dragon might treat his treasure.”

"Naturally." Richard affirmed simply, folding his arms. 2,000 was a reasonable sum - it was the size of his sister's own dowry when Father married her off to Percy, and in any case the Percevals' current estates made them more than enough to get by comfortably already. "I shall have the wedding date set to late this autumn, if that is to your liking." Unless Godwin had any complaints or other matters of import to bring up, the conversation would surely taper off here.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Gerald d'Avranches has journeyed south to meet with Lord Godwin and discuss matters concerning Wales.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 27, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

He is welcomed into Godwin’s keep, a rather plain Motte and Bailey. Though the wooden keep was made to look more like the halls of Godwin’s ancestors. Within Avranches finds a roaring fire, and a hall covered in pelts and furs. Godwin himself sits close to the hearth.

Citizen

As he approaches, Lord Godwin continues to look into the fire, gazing off as though he were trying to divine images from the flames. Next to him a sole chair lies empty. As Gerald nears it a slight breeze blows across the room, sending a shill down his back. Without a word he takes the seat beside Godwin, settling in, he too begins to peer into the flames. The room grew quiet, except for the sound of wind from an open window and the crackle of the roaring fire.

After some time Gerald finally broaches the silence “I always have found fire relaxing.”

“Yes.” Godwin replied curtly, allowing an uneasy silence to fall between them again. “I can see the appeal, but it’s destructive capacity makes it unsavory.”

Citizen

Lifting his eyes slightly he gazes at the flames considerately "Where would we be without it? It lights our way though the darkest night, and Its destruction may clear a forest, but from it new life emerges."
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 27, 2018 at 04:01 PM.

“Indeed. Cooked food, warmth, light.. fire gives us much. But it can also sear flesh, destroy homes, and ravage fields.” He shrugged dismissively. “However, the balance between the two aspects is for clergymen, theologians, and madmen to discuss.” He pulled the furs closer around his shoulders. “Lords tend to come to me with more worldly concerns in mind.”

Citizen

"Quite so" Gerald cleared his throat before continuing, "I am here to speak on Wales. I am forming an expedition to drive into the heart of Powys."

“You’d get more out of installing a native king there as vassal to Edgar.” Godwin replied, Wales was not the wealthiest of places, but minimizing raids had always been a priority for marchers. “They’re a hard people to fight that lot, harder to find if they don’t want to be.” Godwin’s father Harold had fought Welshmen, made allies and friends with some as well.

Citizen

“You’d get more out of installing a native king there as vassal to Edgar.” Godwin replied, Wales was not the wealthiest of places, but minimizing raids had always been a priority for marchers. “They’re a hard people to fight that lot, harder to find if they don’t want to be.” Godwin’s father Harold had fought Welshmen, made allies and friends with some as well.
    Thinking Godwins words over "Perhaps, but any such arrangement would only last as long as the man did. I seek permanency, which can only be achieved through blood. Either on the field or in the bedroom. We would need the right man." giving Godwin an inquisitive grin "I know your family has a history with the Welshmen. You have an understanding few here in England hold. It could prove of good use in the coming campaign." pausing briefly

"An army is forming at Chester, one backed by the king and his whole levy, as well as the men of quite a few other lords. I would be honored if you would join us" finishing his pitch Gerald patiently waits for a response.

“And what does the King seek?” Godwin rose then wordlessly, going toward a corner of the room and retrieving two logs. He placed one next to the hearth and threw the other one into the inferno, a hailing of embers spewing forward as he did so. “Maredudd, Iorweth, and Cawagen ap Bleddyn. Powys is theirs by right, after their father’s untimely death or so the law would say.” Godwin has remained in touch with some of his father’s old allies, specifically the Welsh after the aid they’d provided during the rebellion. “Aid in one’s consolidation of his father’s holdings and you might find your border at peace, and King Edgar will see a loyal vassal as Bleddyn ap Cynfyn was to Edward and my father both.” He threw the second log into the flame, being answered with another forceful ploom. “Harold was a brash man of rare marshal talent, but even he could see the value of a grateful friend over a repressed conquest.” It was not uncommon for the Welsh to bend the knee, in fear or gratitude, and this family has shown loyalty even when loyalty seemed a rare commodity. “And what has driven these men toward this campaign?” Godwin questioned, this might have been a way to see Magnus out of his sight.. but making war in a hostile land without allies, against old friends seemed.. unnatural.

Citizen

So many questions, Gerald attempts to answer them "The king wishes to broaden his rule to encompass Wales. Whether that be through diplomacy or conquest will largely depend on how the Welsh kings respond. Perhaps one of these lords could be enticed to bend the knee, perhaps even some marriage arranged to strengthen ties. All a possibility." Much could happen in these coming months, so many possibilities. "The king has expressed a desire to see his influence one day extend to the sea, this is but the first step. The king has given me much, a decade ago I did not even have a tower keep to my name, let alone an earldom." a great many lords owed their success to Edgar

The recently set log now begin to crackle and pop as the oils inside boil. The flames dancing upwards in the heart, and a sweet acrid smoke carried upwards.
    "The expedition is going to happen, that much is certain. How it is carried out will depend upon the men who go and the council they give. You know the men we will be facing, or know of them. Your words give weight, and I would be honored to have you."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A party of riders, bearing the banner of the Earl of Hereford, arrive at the estates of Godwin Godwinson. William Giffard desired to speak with the Earl of Wessex.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Giffard found it a pleasant enough ride to Dunster. His castle was no master work by any means, but the wooden walls were thick and the keep itself was hewn from stone. The Norman was granted entrance through the gate, and he soon found Godwin Haroldson in the main hall. The man was hearing petitions from men of varying rank, when he noticed Giffard enter he rose. “I will be retiring for the evening, those with the need to break words with me may stay and enjoy my hospitality until the morrow.” With that the small crowd began to disperse, with a fair bit of grumbling. Godwin then turn looked took his seat again, looking toward the newcomer with wordless anticipation.