Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Invasion of Normandy

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: The Invasion of Normandy

"My greetings to thee, King of the English," Hoël of Kernev said with a flourish of his hand, while his knights bowed in respect. After all they were not enemies, at least not yet. Once the pleasantries had concluded the regent of Brittany broached the topic that brought them both out here, "Now what's this all about? Here I thought you'd be happier to see we Bretons reclaiming those parts of our ancient patrimony lost to your Norman foe, King Edgar. Certainly I thought this was part of the deal we negotiated through your man, Norfolk, in exchange for my aid against Mortain and William's brood."

"Alas, since that time I have been invited by the Norman peers to assume position as their Duke, as the husband of William's eldest daughter, God rest him."

The King crossed himself piously. It was beyond strange to think of William as his father by marriage... But it was a reality he had come to accept. They had never been friends in life, but not foes, either.

"So I find myself conflicted. As King of the English, I sought your friendship against my enemy, Mortain. But as Duke of the Normans, you occupy and claim lands that have been attached to my patrimony since before William was even born."

Clerks were good for something. They had poured over the necessary claims and writs dating back for many years, and the King had spent one or two days of boredom allowing himself to be educated by them in the arguments he was to use.

"Ah. You mean the lands that were part of my son's patrimony before the first of William's ancestors stepped foot on French soil." Hoël half-coughed, half-grunted, evidently not particularly impressed. "But if you believe them to be part of your new patrimony, I expect you'll want me to hand them to you, then?" So this was why they were talking next to a no-name village in the winter.

"Yes. You can leave Normandy, our friendship intact, or I will raise many thousands of men and make it so whether you wish it or not. A campaign that will be long and painful. For you, anyway."

Perhaps they could come to a compromise. But it was better to seem ruthless. There was a chance that Hoel would simply be intimidated into leaving by the English who were fresh off defeating Mortain utterly.

(Roll: 1-5 Hoël digs in, 6-15 he's open to compromise, 16-20 he caves entirely. Rolled a 6, +3 Charisma from Edgar = 9)

If Hoël was intimidated, he didn't show it, at least not physically. He crosses his arms and huffs, instead. "I'll concede that war between Brittany and England would be ruinous to us both, though I think you overestimate your warriors. I will agree to withdraw my men from western Normandy, in exchange for monetary compensation - this army of mine didn't come all the way out here to return empty-handed to their liege lord, after all." He paused, thinking of an agreeable sum with which he could pay his soldiers and still have something left over for his son's treasury. Besides, Edgar never coughed up that dowry money for his son's betrothal to Princess Cristina, which was likely off the table now anyway. "Three Norman counties were once Breton: Cherbourg, the Channel Islands, and Avranches. Of these, the first two have already yielded to me, and the third was near it when you arrived. I'll return them all to you in exchange for three times their combined annual revenue. Do we have a deal?"
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; July 07, 2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missed Edgar's extra charisma from temperament

"Fine. I can consent to these terms."

He didn't even know what this sum of money amounted to. It was enough for him to assume that De Vere would handle any payment.

"Well then." Hoël nodded with a rakish smile, as if suggesting that he'd remember this. "Enjoy your new duchy, King Edgar."

Unless there was anything more of import to say, Hoël and his party would surely soon depart.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As the barons and local Counts swear fealty to Edgar the troops occupying their land will move to Mortain.

Mar watches the meeting thoughtful. So there would be no fight it seemed a bit of a let down, but it made sense in the end. Perhaps the new count of Maine would dig in and there could be a proper fight there. Still once Maine was done he could return home to England he had been away for a long time and it would be nice to return home.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Richard d'Avranches reluctantly says his words to the king before making his way back home.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Godwin didn’t like this place, the continent had a strange smell to the air, no wonder these Normans left it behind for England. He wore heavy furs to keep the cold of winter off his skin, his blond hair concealed beneath a hood. He wanted to return to England, but he knew his King had business here to handle, and so he would wait. The cut on his cheek had faded into a scar by this point, a simple line running along the side of his right cheek. The men of Britanny had crumbled like stale bread beneath a firm hand, so much for the courageous and independent spirit of their peoples. Only Maine was left to conquer now, and their job here would be complete, Godwin wondered if they would put up a fight or if they too would bend to Edgar’s demands.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The Badgers and the de Vere Mercenaries
    Mar Bageard +2 battles +1 Personal Combat +2 Charisma +1 Survival
    Richard Bageard+1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding,+1 Personal combat,+1 Survival
    Robert the Younger

74 Norman Knights
    163 Norman Sergeants
    58 fyrdmen
    120 English Footmen
    95 English Archers
    55 Hobelars
    99 English Housecarls
    80 Frankish Knights (mercenary)
    159 Welsh Bowmen

Total 903 men
    Last edited by Trot; July 09, 2018 at 07:42 AM.

The King sends scouts through the county to locate the Angevin forces. Meanwhile, he sends riders demanding fealty of the barons of Maine as their count, starting with those in the north of the region.

A few Mainais barons bend the knee, but not many. Counts Hugh V of Maine and Fulk IV of Anjou have been spotted massing their strength at Laval, the very heart of the contested County.

The barons who don't bend the knee have their lands scorched by Edgar's hobelars. When finished, the King marches his forces down to to confront the Angevins at Laval.

King's army

King Edgar Adelin (+2 charisma +1 survival +2 personal combat +1 battles)

121 knights
    12 Huscarls
    17 Thegns
    214 serjeants
    218 fyrdmen
    215 footmen
    220 archers
    161 hobelars

Total: 1178

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Godwin
    Godwin Haroldson (+2 Charisma, +1 Personal Combat, +4 Battles)
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 09, 2018 at 01:53 PM.

void
    Last edited by Xion; July 09, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

Battle of Laval

Terrain:
    Lightly forested valley, bounded by the River Mayenne.

Anjou-Maine force
    Fulk IV, Count of Anjou (+3 Battles, +3 Personal Combat)
    Hugh V, Count of Maine (no traits)
    150 Frankish Knights (100 mercenary, 40 Angevin, 10 Mainais)
    175 Serjeants (100 mercenary, 60 Angevin, 15 Mainais)
    200 Militia (160 Angevin, 40 Mainais)
    100 Archers (80 Angevin, 20 Mainais)
    75 Hobelars (60 Angevin, 15 Mainais)

Feel free to post your orders directly in this thread.

Orders

Left

Mar Bageard +2 battles +1 Personal Combat +2 Charisma +1 Survival
    Richard Bageard+1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding,+1 Personal combat,+1 Survival
    Robert the Younger

118 Knights
    161 Hobelars
    88 Fyrdmen
    68 Footmen
    100 Serjeants
    110 Archers

Infantry are to just hold the enemy in place. Cavalry to flank and defeat enemy cavalry before using javelins/ charging into rear of enemy. Use wide lines to envelop enemy.

centre

Godwin Haroldson (+2 Charisma, +1 Personal Combat, +4 Battles)
    111 Huscarls
    17 Thegns
    177 Serjeants
    100 Fyrdmen
    200 Footmen
    159 Welsh Bowmen
    95 English Archers

Centre forms a shield wall and charges the enemy line. Heaviest troops in front, lightest at back, archers firing as they advance. Use wedge formation to break into enemy lines. Wide lines rather than deep.

Right

King Edgar Adelin (+2 charisma +1 survival +2 personal combat +1 battles)
    80 Frankish Knights
    77 Norman Knights
    55 Hobelars
    88 Fyrdmen
    66 Footmen
    100 Serjeants
    110 Archers

Same orders as the left.

Last edited by Gandalfus; July 09, 2018 at 04:35 PM.

The Battle of Laval was a quick, decisive affair. Outnumbered about 3:1, the Angevin and Mainais forces had little chance to begin with against the host arrayed before them, despite having previously found a convenient stash of money with which to hire mercenaries to stiffen their force: Hugh of Maine led the majority of the knights and outriders in a foolhardy charge right into the English shield-wall in the center (flinging their javelins only once before switching to their lances and swords), was promptly repelled, and immediately tried to quit the field, leaving his infantry behind to get rolled over by the English housecarls leading their charge. Fulk of Anjou formed the right wing into a wedge and led them into a brief but sharp engagement with Mar Bageard's men, crunching through the wide but shallow Anglo-Norman ranks in places and unhorsing the newly minted Count of Mortain, but were forced to retreat when the cavalry slammed into their flank. And on the Angevin/Mainais left, Edgar's division swept their much smaller one aside with ease.

With the battle over in less than an hour, the Anglo-Normans were able to pursue their Angevin-Mainais enemy a good distance before breaking off, for a meager reserve of fewer than one hundred men had been left by the two Counts to cover their rout. The Counts appear to have gone their separate ways: Fulk of Anjou withdrew southward back to his home county, while Hugh bolted for his capital at Le Mans with the paltry remnants of his own men.

English charas and survivors
    King Edgar Adelin - 76, free
    Mar Bageard - 50, free
    Richard Bageard - 34, captured, freed by roll of 10
    Godwin Haroldson - 63, free
    Robert the Younger of Eu - 26, minor wound (-1 Duel for 2 days)

Left:
    112 Knights
    157 Hobelars
    80 Fyrdmen
    65 Footmen
    96 Serjeants
    104 Archers

Center:
    109 Huscarls
    14 Thegns
    170 Serjeants
    95 Fyrdmen
    196 Footmen
    157 Welsh Bowmen
    94 English Archers

Right:
    76 Frankish Knights
    76 Norman Knights
    52 Hobelars
    83 Fyrdmen
    60 Footmen
    97 Serjeants
    108 Archers

Angevin-Mainais force
    Fulk V of Anjou - 47, free
    Hugh V of Maine - 25, minor wound (-1 to Duel for 2 days)

114 Frankish Knights (4 Mainais remaining)
    122 Serjeants (9 Mainais remaining)
    101 Militia (26 Mainais remaining)
    87 Archers (12 Mainais remaining)
    60 Outriders (11 Mainais remaining)

The King presses on to Le Mans and demands surrender of the castle. A rider is also sent to the Comte de Anjou requesting parley.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast