Thread: African Unit Sets for Garamantes and Aksumites

Libertus

Default African Unit Sets for Garamantes and Aksumites

African Units Set for Garamantes and Aksumites

This mod replaces a number of units in the Garamantian and Aksumite rosters with darker-skinned African equivalents. I thought it was strange seeing African factions like the Garamantes and Aksumites hiring so many Arab-looking "desert" units. Each of the new units has the same gameplay stats and abilities as the originals; it's only their appearance that has changed. In addition, the Garamantes and Aksumites should be able to train the new units in the campaign mode.

Units which have been replaced for the Aksumite and Garamantian factions (but not any of the others) include:

* All units labeled "Desert" (e.g. Desert Levy, Desert Tribesmen, Desert Warlord, etc.) -> "African" equivalents
    * All "Amazigh" units (now replaced with "Saharan" equivalents)

In addition, the Garamantian Lancers, Hunters, Tuaregs, and the Aksumtie Kushites have also been reskinned.

KNOWN ISSUES
    As mentioned earlier, while the Garamantes and Aksumites can train the new units instead of their old counterparts, I was not able to swap the units that their leaders' armies start out with. Which is to say, the armies that the Garamantians and Aksumite leaders start out with still have the old "desert" units in their armies. This problem has now been fixed. All starting armies for the Aksumites and Garamantes include the new units.

Screenies!

Last edited by Kahotep; July 04, 2018 at 11:40 PM.

Default Re: African Unit Sets for Garamantes and Aksumites

Do this for the naval units and artillery crew too.

Also, do you know you can apply more than one unit_variant per unit which depends on faction? Reminder that unit_variant tables has a faction column. It means it can be configured that a certain faction own a particular unit, that unit shall use an unique variant only that faction have. You can further make the Axumite and Garamantians different even if they share some units, without making unique units for both of them.

I don't see why not retain Amazigh units in Garamantian roster. In addition, you should add Light Moorish Lancers to North African factions - It is strange when Vandals have them but not the Moors themselves.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; July 05, 2018 at 05:16 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Also, do you know you can apply more than one unit_variant per unit which depends on faction? Reminder that unit_variant tables has a faction column. It means it can be configured that a certain faction own a particular unit, that unit shall use an unique variant only that faction have. You can further make the Axumite and Garamantians different even if they share some units, without making unique units for both of them.
    Dang, I should have known this before making the mod. It would have saved me a LOT of trouble.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will be adding updates to the naval units shortly (though I believe I already changed the artillery crew).

UPDATE: The naval units have been reskinned now:

Screenie!
    Last edited by Kahotep; July 05, 2018 at 06:48 AM.

Libertus

OK, I'm trying to remake the mod using the method @You_Guess_Who suggested (that is, simply create "alternate" skins of the Desert etc. units by editing only the unit_variants db table), and it's worked well for the most part. Problem is that, unlike my previous method, I haven't figured out how to give the "alternate" skins their own officers. Instead they use the same Arab-looking officers as the "default" skins:

Screenshot

It doesn't seem that you can have officers with different skins depending on faction as well. Or am I wrong?