Thread: EU internet censorship, modding might become illegal

Non-binary person's Avatar Decanus

Icon9 EU internet censorship, modding might become illegal

The EU plans to censor the internet, and if this passes then modding will become illegal, streaming total war games will become illegal, forums like Total War Center will become inaccessible in the EU, etc.

this video explains it very well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXOfq3AB8s

this article is more specific about modding:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/3...threatens-mods

There are currently several petitions against this proposal:

Petition 1:

https://www.change.org/p/axel-voss-s...share_petition

Petition 2:

https://www.change.org/p/european-pa...share_petition

Petition 3:

https://www.change.org/p/stop-censor...ombo_share_abi

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Non-binary person; July 03, 2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Mod leader of:

Veggiemod: Direct download at TWC - ModDB - TW Center thread
    Total War: Alexander III: Preview - Website - Blog

Default Re: EU internet censorship, modding might become illegal

Look on the bright side, less time spent modding and playing games will give you more time to watch Al Jazeera and become more familiar with the European cultural replacement. Enjoy your tyrannical ultra-government.

It's stuff like this that vindicates my vote to Leave the EU in 2016, which I voted for on the basis of democratic principles. However I don't trust my government enough to think they will ignore it, they'll probably jump at the chance to stifle freedom of speech at any cost. So in essence I gaze at this with extreme concern.

Quote Originally Posted by joethepro36 View Post
    It's stuff like this that vindicates my vote to Leave the EU in 2016, which I voted for on the basis of democratic principles. However I don't trust my government enough to think they will ignore it, they'll probably jump at the chance to stifle freedom of speech at any cost. So in essence I gaze at this with extreme concern.
    My condolences, you'll be very welcome here in the US once your visa clears.

Non-binary person's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Well, the US got rid of net neutrality which will have similar consequences.
    Better move to Iceland or Norway.
    Mod leader of:

Veggiemod: Direct download at TWC - ModDB - TW Center thread
    Total War: Alexander III: Preview - Website - Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Non-binary person View Post
    No, no it won't. The end of net neutrality has nothing to do with abolishing fair use laws. Net neutrality was a government regulation on the internet that was removed. This is a massive content based regulation that has basically nothing to do with net neutrality. I know that misleading titles in laws can make government regulation sound soft and fluffy, but it is still government regulation which inherently reduces freedoms and autonomy. Also, Iceland and Norway do not have free speech as a right. So I'll pass.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; July 03, 2018 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I work for a major US defence contractor in their UK branch, I'm seriously considering emigrating if possible should this country carry on like it is. I can't see it improving much.

Quote Originally Posted by Non-binary person View Post
    Better move to Iceland or Norway.
    Net neutrality even at its worse wouldn't be as bad as these new EU laws. An article I read a while back said that ISPs would be obligated to hold effective databases of content assigned to copyright holders which could then use algorithms or even machine learning to detect similar content and then block it. Now I'm a software guy myself and realistically with the funding, it's quite possible to do this. I do think the whole "banning" memes thing is a bit much but even a well run system would throw far, far more false positives than you'd think. Even at it's best approach, it's a terrible slippery slope. Imagine a group gets into power and decides a certain political persuasion has had a bit too much to think. All they'd need to do is mark up logos and common images into the system and bam, all content gets scrubbed.

Worse still would be the slowdown of an internet needing to have all images and content checked regularly for this content. It's practically possible all the same though, a super computer scanning for a website's content once a week would clear huge amounts of web content alone. Then its a marked URL and bool flag named "block" set to true and it's gone.

I'd best download all the Honey Select mods I need now then

It's been rejected thank god.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44712475