Thread: Rome: Shadows of the Empire - A DEI Campaign

Default Rome: Shadows of the Empire - A DEI Campaign

ROME: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE

A Divide et Impera Grand Campaign

Story by Lucius Verus

In 390 BC, a Gallic tribe of Semnones lead by their chief Brennus advanced to Rome and defeated a Roman army outside of Rome, and then entered and sacked the city. As as a result, much of Rome's recorded history was destroyed. From the moment Brennus threw his sword onto the scales and said the words "Vae Victis", Romans thirsted for revenge. Marcus Furius Camillus then organized forces and drove Brennus and the Gauls out of the city and annihilated them. For this, he was proclaimed dictator by the Senate and hailed as the 'Second Founder of Rome'. The story begins here 112 years later in 278 BC with Camillus' descendant, the patrician Quintus Aemillius Papus.

S P Q R

The Senate has called upon the leaders of the families to band together and rid Italia of the Greeks and Etruscans once and for all. We will boldly show the world our resolve.

Chapter I

Winter 278 BC

After much debate, Papus and his I Legion departed Beneventum for Rome, arriving a few days later. Upon arrival, he conferred with his fellow Senators and it was decided that a two part strategy would be pursued: Firstly, fully manning his army and moving onto and taking the last Etruscan bastion to the north at Arretium. The Etruscans have been a thorn in the Roman's side for centuries, and this was the chance to finish them off permanently. Next, Papus would move south to link up with II Legion under the Nobile Gaius Fabricius and march on the Epirus Greek stronghold at Taras.

Italia is meant to be Roman, not Greek.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Rome: Shadows of the Empire - A DEI Campaign

Welcome to TWC and to the Writers' Study! If you have questions about any aspect of AAR writing, just ask in the Writers' Lounge. I recommend Shankbot's Unofficial Guide for New Members.

I like the way that you connect the story with Rome's traumatic experience in 390BC, through the connection between Quintus Aemillius Papus and his ancestor, Marcus Furius Camillus. It's helpful to see Rome's strategic aim, I look forward to finding out how Papus and the I Legion will get on at Arretium, and how the southern campaign for Taras will go.
    Last edited by Alwyn; July 01, 2018 at 06:55 AM.

A good start! Much like Alwyn I too like the connection between Camillus and Papus. The strategy seems to be well thought out. Seems like an interesting AAR though I have one question- Will all the chapters be as short as Chapter I?
    I like the huge font style. Might try it someday. Good luck!
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR

Thank you for the compliments. We are moving on to the next phases, so stay tuned!

I am attempting to follow the same format as this gentleman that posted this excellent AAR, but unfortunately never finished. Some excellent reading in here.

http://www.gametactica.com/rise-of-the-julii.html

Note: I do not command battles myself, as I always use the autoresolve feature. I'm much more interested in the administrative and political aspects and prefer not to use the time in controlled battles.

Upon his arrival in Rome, Papus in conference with the Senate immediately set to work with several tasks at hand: Firstly, recruiting and assembling his I Legion for the the upcoming Etruscan campaign. Secondly, establishing relations with surrounding nations and city-states through use of diplomats and securing trade routes, and thirdly sending a messenger to his rival Gaius Fabricus and his II Legion to move to the area of Beneventum to prepare for the upcoming campaign against another old enemy: King Pyrrus of Epirus.

"Assent to my bold undertakings..."

With trade routes secured and I Legion fully manned, Papus - accompanied by the talented administrator Gnaeus Vispanus - moved north to Arretium, arriving at the gates of the city in fall 278 BC. The spy Postuma Scapula, who had failed in several attempts to subvert the army of Etruscan King Lucius Rex, lost track of Lucius. As it turns out, Lucius was well aware of Papus and sallied forth out of the city to do battle while Papus was unprepared.
    Papus, knowing his position was precarious, chose to retire back down the road to Rome than do battle unprepared. He was upset that he wouldn't be able to take Arretium before winter, but at least he had saved his army to fight another day. The Senate, hearing of this setback, was alarmed but Papus guaranteed victory with his life.

Winter arrived, and Papus again set off with hopes of surprising the Etruscans. This time, he immediately surrounded Arretium on arrival. Lucius, this time it was he who was caught off guard, launched a desperate counterattack. Papus prayed to Mars and held firm, and although I Legion was severely mauled, they did not yield and Lucius broke off and fled into the mountains. By spring, Arretium was in Roman hands.

The search for Lucius would soon be on...

Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; July 04, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

Can a moderate please edit the font on my post to 5 above, please? Thanks.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Hi, Lucius.

I've changed the font size for you.

As soon as you've made 25 posts, you'll be able to edit your own posts. I recommend looking around the Writers' Study and posting comments on some of the writing you like. People always appreciate comments by someone who's enjoyed their writing (it may even encourage them to come and post here!) and it's a nice way to accumulate those 25 posts quickly.

I'm enjoying this fast-paced story, by the way!

Interesting format and I like your updates so far! The font and size make it pleasent to read. Looking forward to seeing if Lucius is a force to be reckoned with while Rome is trying to solidify it's control over Arretium.

There's something about this site that drives my computers crazy and makes them crash whenever I try to post, so bare with me.

It sounds like Papus made a wise choice on his first journey to Arretium. I wonder if Lucius will be found.

(I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your computers crashing when you try to post. I wonder if you'd like to report that in Questions & Suggestions, if you haven't already done that.)

This site damaged my other computer severely, I don't know what happened or why it did. Please don't take offense as ' happens'.

Anyhow, on with the story....

Come summer, Lucius Rex and the remnants of his people and army were hiding in the mountains. Papus was in absolutely no condition to pursue with his legion, so he spent the previous few months rebuilding the city and re-manning his severely depleted units. However, Roman morale remained high. The Senate was extremely pleased that Lucius was driven away, but still concerned that the Etruscans may escape again. Every scout sent to the mountains - save for one - never returned. The one that returned was merely the man's head in a basket, dropped off at a guard post in the thick of the night. Papus was enraged by this, but again, the realities of the situation had to be recognized. He was simply too weak to do anything about it. Nevertheless, the Romans were in good spirits.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lucius and his commanders held a council of war and only one thing was concluded: the fight must be at Arretium. There is no turning back. Either stand and die or take the fight to the Romans. The latter was unanimously chosen. Preparations for the attack began in the morning and was decided to be two days hence.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"They're coming, they're coming! The Etruscans are coming from the mountains!" the rider said as he burst through the city gates. "MAN THE WALLS!" shouted Papus to his commanders, and the call was echoed throughout the city. Everywhere you could hear the clanking of metal and the shuffling of feet and horses and donkeys. Papus himself manned the parapet and saw the Etruscans approaching...a mere shadow of what they once were, but determined nonetheless. The Romans were confident, but they knew that this would be the penultimate battle. As Papus donned his helmet, he knew that his life was on the line. Should he fail, he'd prefer to die in battle and not fulfill what he guaranteed the Senate...

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Etruscans attacked with everything they had...with brutality and desperation. At the climax of the battle, Papus saw Lucius' standard amidst the chaos and headed straight for it. Lucius saw him and immediately dismounted his horse, taking down a few Triarii that ran at him with the grace, elegance, and skill of a warrior king.

Not a word was spoken as both men knew that words had no place in this situation. This was a fight of honor....to the death.
    In the warm, mid morning summer sunlight, these two men in their magnificent dress battled as their swords flashed in the sun. Not a soldier on either side dared to interfere.

For what seemed like hours, Papus and Lucius battled. Papus blocked a powerful blow from Lucius that drove him to one knee and Lucius kicked him down to the ground. Lucius, thinking that his adversary was defeated, went in for the kill and as soon as his guard was down, Papus thrust his sword straight through the abdomen of Lucius. Papus saw the terror in the man's eyes as the sword dropped from his hands and he stared at the blade going straight through him and uttered "Ego rite celebrata..." (I am finished).

At this moment, the remaining Etruscans seeing their king dead, threw down their arms and surrendered to Papus. As Papus retrieved his sword from the dead king's body, he sheathed it, and the Romans cried out in victory.

He declared that there will be no further bloodshed and that survivors shall be spared as ".......They were Romans now."

Papus and his legion returned to Rome and celebrated a triumph with people crowding the streets and a grateful Senate showering him with honors and titles.

Deep in his mind, though, he knew that he still had more work to do. Rome must be a word that makes the world tremble.

And he was to be the man to make it so, much as his ancestor Furius Camillus was.

End ACT I

Lucis sounds like a challenging opponent for Papus, both as a commander and as an individual warrior. I look forward to seeing what Rome's legions will do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Lucis sounds like a challenging opponent for Papus, both as a commander and as an individual warrior. I look forward to seeing what Rome's legions will do next.
    We'll see! I invite you to subscribe to my posts both here and my Attilla AAR I'm working on. You will not be disappointed. I'm hoping to build a following for my campaigns.