Thread: Kievan Rus

Default Kievan Rus

One thing that really bothered me about the original SS is the depiction of the Kievan Rus military. It was basically a western European army textured yellow and blue (modern Ukrainian colours) with modern Ukrainian symbols used to replace West European heraldry on the troops. It basically made the game unplayable because I generally start in East Europe.

Thinking of trying out this mod and wondering if they have been adequately modified. I looked through the change logs and didn't see them mentioned almost at all

Just to expand, because I can't edit posts

I mean look at this

Random emblems all over the troops - what?

Rus principalities didn't wear surcoats, and they didn't have huge emblems on them the way western armies did with heraldry

Horses are something a french knight would have, but retextured and with ukrainian symbols all over them. This never existed in reality
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 27, 2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Posts merged for clarity

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kievan Rus

I've merged your posts for clarity and welcome along these forum

Back on topic, some of the Rusichi models have been implemented. Their roster probably still needs some work but I guess that it should be already better than in SS.
    Anyway, if you have sources about the Kievan Rus during that period (12 - 16th centuries), feel free to share them here. Anything that helps us to improve the mod is welcome
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I just find a website containing everything about Rus medieval arms and armor.http://www.xenophon-mil.org/rushisto...rmor/parti.htm

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Perfect. Many thanks for sharing it
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I understand the problem. In the 12th century, even in Western Europe, surcoats with emblems did not exist yet. It was during the 13th century that heraldry developed, but even at that time, the number of icons was too important for a single emblem to represent a whole faction. For the game, the challenge is to find a balance between historical credibility and playability. You can already disable the banners in the medieval2.preference (show_banners = 0) and actually play with SSHIP to take advantage of improved templates.

some pictures Kievan Rus in SSHIP

Share an interesting fact about the units: there were some strong links between Kievan Rus, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, England and Byzantine empire.The key is the Varangians.

The well-known Varangian Guard in Byzantine empire served as the personal life guard of the emperor and swore an oath of loyalty to him. They had formal duties within the imperial ritual, both as ceremonial retainers and acclaimers of the emperor. They also had extensive military duties, either when the emperor was on campaign, or on detached service with imperial armies.

What is important is that the duties of the Varangians were similar to the Kievan Rus’ druzhina, the vikinge-lag of Sweden, Norway and Denmark and the huscarls (Housecarls) of Denmark and England. All of these institutions were mercenary companies that served rulers personally as a bodyguards and elite units. The organization, discipline and of the Varangian Guard, was based upon the same customs as the abovementioned units. Inviolability of the oath, personal loyalty, and the use of the battle-axe were hallmarks of service in all of these mercenary institutions. The links of the English Varangians to the Scandinavian and even Russian Varangians may be closer than one thinks.

I learned this point from a interesting articale:http://deremilitari.org/2014/06/engl...consciousness/

-------

JoC: THREAD CLOSED AS THERE'S A NEW THREAD DEVOTED TO RUS.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 08, 2020 at 07:19 AM.