Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OPEN DISCUSSION: the renewal of the modding awards

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: OPEN DISCUSSION: the renewal of the modding awards

I've already voiced my opinion so I just copy it here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    If it would be on me, the next year I'd like to vote for:
    - new releases of the big mods (like another EBII version or DEI version or AE empires)
    - new small mods or their new releases (call them minimods, submods or whatever)
    - classical big mods (EBII, SS/SSHIP/HURB, WotN, HIMA, 1648, TATW etc.) with no necessarily no new release (some of the submods-to-big-mods should be considered as separate "big" mods, eg. SSHIP, Titanium, HURB, BftB are somehow each a separate big mod, maybe it can be also said on submods to TATW).
    - (possibly classical small modifications - I'd like to be able to vote for the BGR ;-)
    cheers
    JoC
    I'd like to make a comment on the following opinion that is representative to what I've read occasionally in different threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Modders with knowledge of modding of actual titles are essential for a commitee, which should make a choice between actual mods.
    I think it's equally important to have in the modding committee also players who actually play the game. I think it happens quite often that when you get into modding, you stop playing the game, sometimes even your own mod (I mean: you concentrate on the changes you make while overlooking the gameplay or the other features). At the same time, there're many avid players who don't mod but have much experience with various mods.

Given the open nature of voting and choosing the mods on the TWC (and also the dwindling numbers of the mods), I suspect that it doesn't matter much where do the modding committee members come from. The crucial thing is that they're committed to sacrifice their time for the community. It's really great if somebody can organize the voting process so that everybody interested can vote. Thanks, guys, for all your time!

JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 29, 2018 at 03:39 AM.

Why don't you guys set up a Steam page/event for the TWC modding awards. After all, as you said, most mods are on the steam workshop these days (the new games at least) and could help to draw attention to the modding awards. You could just have the main page stuff you guys do and stick it on steam as well and just have it link back to TWC. The current TWC steam page is pretty dead so you could just use that.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

To the users that really like this forum that, they must publish here. I have mods in Steam but in the main description page I add the TWCenter link.

What I mean by this? That users who like TWC and want to follow the best website for the saga "Total War", would be good to encourage participation in this forum by adding the link in your mod in Steam Workshop. To me, sometimes I "bombard" stupid messages in Steam; sometimes I answer: for serious support publish your problem or doubt in TWC, etc. Steam is not the problem, the problem is whether the modders give priority to Steam (extensive replies, chat, groups, etc...) or our forum, TWC.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 30, 2018 at 02:10 AM.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

I have a couple of thoughts about this subject, too.

TWC should be the premier place on the net for TW modders and mod users, right? If so, and if the awards are TWC's special way of recognizing the modders' work (another would be to keep the mod registry up to date ), I think a good way of showing all modders this recognition is to have all mods that are qualified for an award automatically nominated. To have the modder required to nominate his or her own work is backwards, not giving the modder said recognition. It does not matter if the modder cares about this recognition or not; the award is about the users' appreciation of his or her work (not the modder's appreciation of his or her own work or the modder's appreciation of other people's appreciation of his or her work).

To give all mods a fair chance of winning the award for the right reason, some presentation of each mod ought to be made before the vote, so that all voters can compare and select the one they really think deserves the award (not because they only know one of them and might have chosen differently otherwise).

Before each annual award vote, a general PM about this taking place might be sent out to all members (who're eligble to vote), so that no-one who's actually interested in taking part misses the chance to do so because of lack of info or being preoccupied with something that can be postponed.

So, yes, I support the formation of new staff to better promote TW modders and their work, and assist TW mod users more, which currently is under discussion in the CVRIA here and elsewhere on this site.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

There's a proposal ongoin in the Curia which might lead to something new, just to mention

if a modding staff will be created, they could certainly take part in the Awards, that's granted
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Just bumping this. Any more suggestions from anyone?

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

What about prizes to make the awards more attractive, what can TWC do here - has this been discussed?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

The entire process of receiving and nominating mod awards has always been quite obscure to me.

It also lacks an 'official' air and even when the mods created do win (for example EB2 has won one or two awards), the mod creators don't receive anything in particular. Seriously, why not award mod creators with a little something? Not everyone can get an artifex badge to show off, or an opifex award? So why not give some modding awards out in bling (not just the popular modding award bling to single people but *teams* whose mod won)

Making things feel less like a popularity contest might help -- objectively, even after working on EB2 I feel it should win some awards but lets be honest -- there's no officials of TWC that actually verify or check whether a mod truly deserves to be awarded. Leaving it to the community is fine to an extent -- but modders may feel better knowing exactly how the heck the process works. And also knowing there are some reputable judges to back things up aside from it being a popularity contest.

This is perhaps where the modding staff could step in and help and or the curia. Putting the curia to some use, may be worth it in multiple ways. Since they already administer the other awards like citizenship.

Don't get me wrong -- the current way (it mainly being a popularity contest) is fine, as long as it's backed up by some supporting structures which help verify and maybe ensure the same old mods don't always get recognized. Adding in some new blood can't hurt -- or recognizing some monumental efforts within a short period of time.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just a quick note about invlving the Curia: I've tried several time to get the Curia into these awards and have received no answer/interest at all. Considering the recent events as well, I'd be extremly reluctant to have it involved in the awards nowadays.
    At present we have also he Modding Staff who can help for the Modding Awards.

About transparency; there's nothing more compare to what it's explained in the rules. The committee checks the eligibility of the mods for each caegory (they only need to have released something relevant during the year) and make a list in order to make the nominations' check quicker and easier. Then people nominates their favorite mods and modders. The committee checks them and then the polls are made. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing hidden
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Moderator Emeritus

About transparency; there's nothing more compare to what it's explained in the rules. The committee checks the eligibility of the mods for each caegory (they only need to have released something relevant during the year) and make a list in order to make the nominations' check quicker and easier. Then people nominates their favorite mods and modders. The committee checks them and then the polls are made. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing hidden
    I should clarify about 'obscure', basically, as a modder who was originally interested in the awards back in 2012-2013 or so (shortly after I decided to stop lurking and make an account), I looked at it closely. But I couldn't make a heads or tails of how you were supposed to go about the process of having your mod voted for. The rules in that original state -- may have changed slightly as well.

I think having a thread solely dedicated to describing the procedure, rather than just the rules, would be great.

At present we have also he Modding Staff who can help for the Modding Awards.
    Hmm, the modding staff was actually implemented? I'd be down to join it for Rome or maybe Medieval 2, it was a good idea.

Just a quick note about invlving the Curia: I've tried several time to get the Curia into these awards and have received no answer/interest at all. Considering the recent events as well, I'd be extremly reluctant to have it involved in the awards nowadays.
    Cool, I understand.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Hmm, the modding staff was actually implemented? I'd be down to join it for Rome or maybe Medieval 2, it was a good idea.
    Gigantus is the man to PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks but after PM'ing him he's still in the process of setting it up, it'll take around another week or two.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    The entire process of receiving and nominating mod awards has always been quite obscure to me.

It also lacks an 'official' air and even when the mods created do win (for example EB2 has won one or two awards), the mod creators don't receive anything in particular. Seriously, why not award mod creators with a little something? Not everyone can get an artifex badge to show off, or an opifex award? So why not give some modding awards out in bling (not just the popular modding award bling to single people but *teams* whose mod won)
    I explained it many times, but I will do it again with pleasure: only modders as voted in the Favourite Modders categories recieve a Medal; when we talk about Mods, really only few are a one man show and even those ones cannot claim so because they very much have sourced models, coding and what's not from other mods as well, therefore in order to reward ALL the modders involved, we'll have to give out hundreds of medals every edition, which will render the medals themselves useless. As explained in the rules, every winning mod has the full right to show the medal it won and any member of the team of that mod has the right to show the same medal in their signature. Besides, some mods have a lot of former team members, should they be included too? and what if someone is missed? etc etc.. I hope you got my point

Making things feel less like a popularity contest might help -- objectively, even after working on EB2 I feel it should win some awards but lets be honest -- there's no officials of TWC that actually verify or check whether a mod truly deserves to be awarded. Leaving it to the community is fine to an extent -- but modders may feel better knowing exactly how the heck the process works. And also knowing there are some reputable judges to back things up aside from it being a popularity contest.

This is perhaps where the modding staff could step in and help and or the curia.
    the Modding Award committee is composed by modders, so they are certainly good at evaluating if a mod has met or not that minimum requirement of new material for the year in discussion; other than this we do not apply any other limitation to mods' nomination, how could it be fair if a team of modders, some of which might be directly involved in that year's competition with their works, would decide that mod A could not compete with mod B, because A has much more material in it? Categories are outlined to split the competition as much as possible, still there's a limit to that of course (the first of which being very limited nominations, due to little new or updated mods every year). The modding staff will be involved in the future, near or far depending on both how long it will take to them to establish and on what they could actually add to the Competition in iteself.

Putting the curia to some use, may be worth it in multiple ways. Since they already administer the other awards like citizenship.
    err, no.

Don't get me wrong -- the current way (it mainly being a popularity contest) is fine, as long as it's backed up by some supporting structures which help verify and maybe ensure the same old mods don't always get recognized. Adding in some new blood can't hurt -- or recognizing some monumental efforts within a short period of time.
    First, it's not all the same old mods that get recognized, if a mod is NOT updated it will not be eligilble, so there's nothing "old" in this; besides, there's always the Opifex for exceptional contibutions
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I'm closing this and moving it to the archives

thanks for everybody who gave their input

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123