Thread: Age of Charlemagne - Difficulties with Asturias Campaign

Default Age of Charlemagne - Difficulties with Asturias Campaign

I tried to play as Asturias on Very Hard. I'm finding it impossible. The port of Santander and the town of Braga will always rebel, and your starting territory of Galicia will take a while to pacify due to the limited building slots for public order buildings. On my latest attempt I tried simply abandoning Braga and Santander and focusing on maintaining Galicia, but a full stack of Asturian Separatists came up from Braga and invaded just as I was on the verge of finally pacifying the region. They promptly began taking over my settlements and reversing all my progress.
    How do I win this thing?

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Age of Charlemagne - Difficulties with Asturias Campaign

You lower the difficulty to normal
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Clint Eastwood's Avatar Civis

You can always get a mod on the workshop with removes public order penalties for difficulty level, and there's another one which reduces the tax penalty for AoC (Charlemagne had much higher tax penalties than the grand campaign).

Yeah, a few of the campaigns in AoC can go pear-shaped very quickly. Asturias is really tricky due to the problems mentioned in OP's post, and another is Mercia (or wessex?) where you get stomped by the Welsh on one front and vikings on the other before you can afford even a full stack. The Westphalia campaign is nearly impossible if some distant faction declares war on you and war weariness grows year after year.

To be honest, AoC is a bit of a mess and needs a balancing patch. For example, the Lombard campaign is super easy and a bit boring because of that, while other campaigns (as mentioned above) are nigh impossible unless everything falls into place at the right time.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've played on Legendary and I've been duly crushed - but not by the rebels, but the Caliphate. Also another faction has declared war on me (Saragossa) what added to the problems.
    One way of dealing with the money issue was to send a ship north to get trade agreements. After 23 turns my budget consisted of king's purse 1.5k, trade 1.0k, and taxes 0.4k (I could afford 33 units with this money). With 1,5 armies I tried to snipe the enemy, but the AI is wise to keep his armies together and got straight into my lands with three of them.

I also think a balancing patch is needed, but, frankly speaking, I don't have any plans to play ATW/AoC due to the problem described in this entry.
    I've heard that Thrones of Brittania are much better in this respect - to be seen when I buy it.

ThroB is definitely better in that you have more methods of waging war aside from stack whacking. I can't say I have fully explored the possibilities yet since I'm still waiting for the blood DLC to really get into a campaign. However, it seems that you can, for example, hit the AI by raiding and destroying its food and money-making buildings/settlements. The limited recruitment pool means the AI doesn't have an endless supply of manpower: one or two major battles generally prove decisive. These are positive developments by CA and are to be applauded.