Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Experimental Battle Pack] - New stat and combat system (09.03.2018)

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Experimental Battle Pack] - New stat and combat system (06.24.2018)

If I make vanilla hopkie phalanx passive formation, it will not help, it will make it much, much worse than current version as it also has AI putting units sideways and breaking lines but without ability to attack at a distance.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Default Re: [Experimental Battle Pack] - New stat and combat system (06.24.2018)

I've recently noticed that the AI's cavalry are actually moving themselves into my infantry or cav rather than attacking, as I do not see them lower their shock cav lances to charge. It doesn't happen all the time, and I don't know if it's because of something in this pack here, or if it's something that CA goofed on. If this isn't the right spot to mention it though, I can post regarding this again in the main bug thread instead.
    Last edited by CadetNewb; August 10, 2018 at 04:16 AM.

Patrician

It was like thay since ever. Especially if a unit has expert charge defence.

Alright, nothing new then. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been playing the slower combat version and I have to say that overall it feels really good. The one issue that bothers me is the pikes. I want to make the pikes hold better, not to make the unit deadlier but to really hold units at bay. I was able to do so in the current version of DEI playing with entity mass, spacing, pike size and scalar brazing. The issue is that I feel I can't do that in this new combat for some reason so I'm just asking for some tip on what values should I play with. Also it would be a big help if you could tell me the difference between mass entity and scalar_brazing.

I'm honestly surprised you want to further improve pikes and their ability to hold, especially since they're already superior to hoplites. The thing is, the longer they hold, the longer they're going to dish out the pain, so no matter what, they'll become more effective.

Alternatively, I'm a little surprised that the hoplite phalanx only seems to add +1 to melee defense. Is this right? I know all the values in this pack were simplified to smaller numbers, but I admit I sorta expected a 2 at least.

In current Battla Pack i have problem with elephants in early game. Playing Bactria, most of neighbours enemies army have 3 merc. elephants - i feel like its much harder to counter them by levy javs adn they destroy my bactria doriophoroe pretty quickly (didn`ty reach 50 turn reform yet). Also i wonder how they can spawn them so quickly - mercenary elephants supposed to be long enough.

I think that's honestly more of a topic for the general thread, and not specific to this one. Those dori guys are only a bit better than levy units, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they take massive casualties. Even if you mass arrow fire at the elephants, they're not going to die quite fast enough. You're honestly better off with a main-line of hoplites in that region. Though pikes would be even better against those elephants, you're in an eastern area surrounded by archer heavy armies, so I don't think they'd fare as well overall.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    I think that's honestly more of a topic for the general thread, and not specific to this one. Those dori guys are only a bit better than levy units, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they take massive casualties. Even if you mass arrow fire at the elephants, they're not going to die quite fast enough. You're honestly better off with a main-line of hoplites in that region. Though pikes would be even better against those elephants, you're in an eastern area surrounded by archer heavy armies, so I don't think they'd fare as well overall.
    I used similar army set up in older stat system, it was doable to kill elephants with javs. With this pack i have some not critical problems. Also after mercenary cost rework AI hiring more mercs and somehow have armies with 3 merc elephants - i wonder how, merc. replenish cooldown should not allow them have so many. Pikes and hoplites - can`t say they bad, but they don't fit my playstyle. I mostly play as hellenic faction and thureophoroi are widely used. This bactrian spears have similar (mostly identical) stats but do not have javs. My current solution 2 my army vs 1 ai army.

The best advice I can give you, is to play to your faction's strengths and adapt your own playstyle to said faction. You don't have to have an all-hoplite battle line, but having a mix of both hoplites and doriphoroi would give you a much easier time against elephants. Again, I don't think this mod is what's giving you such a hard time against elephants. Doriphoroi just aren't suited to taking them head on like this. They're too light.

Patrician

Hi people, just to let you know, I hope to have a new update released today!

After giving it some thought, I might go with Slower Pack as the main Experimental pack, with some tweaks ofcourse.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post

After giving it some thought, I might go with Slower Pack as the main Experimental pack, with some tweaks ofcourse.
    As a lover of slower combat, this is music to my ears!

Get hyped!!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Good to know, man.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post

Glad to hear!

Patrician

Almost all stuff are tested for new release I will get it out around noon after I will get some sleep. Just few minutes ago I finally was able to add vanilla shieldwall (I could not get it to work previously for some reason unless I made it passive) but I need to test it further a bit.

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

Kam - Just on a side note I still see when Roman Imperial units are in melee combat with there opponents there is still some teleport and sliding issues? However this disappears after a minute or so after the initial clash of units and everything is ok. I only see this with roman units in game

This is great news, though, is the AI using the shieldwall now or am I missing something?

UltimateTobi's Avatar Libertus

OMG I can't wait!

Patrician

Default Re: [Experimental Battle Pack] - New stat and combat system (08.22.2018)

Mod updated, please delete old version before downloading new one as file used for Slower version is now the main file.

-Roman aux cavalry is now hybrid heavy skirmisher/melee cavalry, they have 3 javelins they will use to harass enemy before closing in for the charge
    -tweaks to ranged combat, mainly slingers recieved a buff, armour and size of the shield matter more when it depends to being hit by certain ranged weapons
    -Hold Position formation of Roman and some Romanized units now works like a vanilla Shieldwall, it should be mostly used to defend from enemy charges (still need to figure out why it turns on for AI in vanilla when facing cavalry charge so it will do same in DeI)
    -minor tweaks to pikes and hoplites
    -Elite Fanatic units slightly nerfed
    -Spears are a bit better vs cavalry units
    Last edited by KAM 2150; August 22, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [Experimental Battle Pack] - New stat and combat system (08.22.2018)

Can't wait to take this little baby for a spin tonight! Those changes look delicious