Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!) Complete + Behind the Scenes

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [SS 6.4] God's Justice (Crusader States AAR, with BGR IV and more!)

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Catching up. I just read the few previous chapters. I will need to reread more to sort things out. You are doing a great with your writing, it is my reading and memory that need work. I will be looking forward to more this January!
    Hey now worries take your time! Good to see you again, by the way An interlude chapter is coming up, so that'd be a great summary for you if you feel like you don't want to read all the chapters that you've missed. Thanks for stopping by

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    I agree with Alwyn, a very enjoyable chapter! Indeed the meeting between the King and the Lord Philip is expertly done and then Gaston has to partycrash it. Way to ruin a party Gaston.

I also agree on the battle-side of things, if we were to report every single battle in the campaign we would come to a point where we won't report on anything else but battles.

a Jihad you say ....... *mutters under his breath* Inshallah we will smite this foe
    Well I'm sure poor ol Gaston is just trying his best to do his job, the partycrashing is just a bonus And yes, I decided to relegate those unnecessary ones to the Interlude chapters, and even then I'll probably not report on all of them.

Wow...what's this now? You dare stand against the might of God? (P.S. I had a good laugh when I saw that comment, thanks for that)

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I enjoyed this! It seems that the First Prince is learning much of warfare, and that he has much still to learn of political intrigue. The encounter between the King and Lord Philip is well done and Gaston's relevation is an exciting moment.

I agree that it's better to focus on the battles which are more interesting for the development of your nation's strategy and history, for the story and for the development of your characters, rather than including every battle (at least, in detail - of course, an account of a battle can last several updates, or several battles can be covered in a single paragraph).
    I humbly wonder if you can ever learn all there is about politics and intrigue, even if you spend a lifetime on the throne...and I've been waiting to drop that Gaston bomb since forever lol, other activities in the campaign really got in the way. Seems like we are all in agreement that focusing on the major battles are more important. Very well, one major battle coming up!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

High Lord Jean de Brienne the Honourable – King of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Marie de Lusignan – Wife of High Lord Jean, Queen of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Lord Jean de Brienne – First Prince of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, War Council Member
    Joan de Brienne – Wife of Lord Jean, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Henri de Lusignan – Close friend, cousin and later brother in law to Lord Jean
    Yolande de Lusignan – Older sister of Lord Jean, wife to Henri de Lusignan, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Baudouin de Brienne - Younger Brother of Lord Jean, Second Prince of Jerusalem

Bohemond de Poitiers the Chivalrous – Count of Tortosa, War Council member
    Melisende de Lusignan – Wife of Bohemond de Poitiers

Jean d’Ibelin – Prince of Acre, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Melisende – Wife of Jean d’Ibelin
    Balian d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Jean d’Ibelin

Philip d’Ibelin – Duke of Nicosia, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Alix – Wife of Philip d’Ibelin
    Jean d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Philip d’Ibelin

Lord Tigel de Linus - Commander of Jerusalem's garrison, its Master-at-Arms, and Adviser to Lord Jean
    Cardinal Reynaud - Presiding Cardinal in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Adviser to Lord Jean
    The Constable of Jerusalem
    Sir Raimondo - The First Prince's bodyguard Captain
    Alvaro - One of the First Prince's bodyguards
    Foucaud – Spymaster
    Gaston de Rocafolio – Spy
    Colin – Diplomat
    Gautier Corbet – Diplomat
    Pierre Dupuy – Diplomat
    Denethor the Second – Court jester/fool
    Chirgeon – Stable Master in Jerusalem
    Paragon – Treasurer on the Council of Nobles
    Sir Anduril – Hospitaller Knight
    Robert de Quar - Apprentice scribe to the Royal Chronicler
    Stefano - A mystery...for now

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

From the Perspective of Captain Aubrey, Tortosa Garrison Commander, The Castle of Tortosa, 1237 AD

I cursed the weight of my mail leggings as I lumbered towards the castle square, where Lord Jean d’Ibelin was directing the troops. “My Lord!” I yelled out as I approached. With the clamouring of the soldiers and the din of battle preparations, it was no surprise when he didn’t respond.

“My Lord!” I shouted again, this time managing to catch his attention. “The Seljuks are advancing.”

“Still no sign of reinforcements, then?” The Prince of Acre sighed. “Perhaps they will arrive after the battle again, like last time.”

Agreeing with him was all I could do, for deep down I held very little hope that we would live to see the morrow. Lord Jean gave instructions for the men to get to their positions, then charged me with riding with him. We rode the short distance to the castle’s frontier walls, where our troops were anxiously staring at the Seljuk army, currently closing the gap between their camp and our position.

“Hold your heads high, men.” Lord Jean ordered. “We are doing God’s work here.”

Few, if any, of the men obeyed, and I didn’t blame them. Although an important fortification along the coast and the last castle standing in the way of Damascus and the southern territories, we’ve had very little luck getting adequate supply lines running either by sea or by land. The Seljuks had sailed a portion of their own navy to sabotage our supply runs, and Damascus was so constantly under threat that they were unable to provide any relief of their own. The way I see it, we were doomed when we didn’t leave after the previous siege.

“Captain, my lord.” A soldier saluted us both before continuing. “It is as you have ordered. The knights are in place on the right wall and the Syrian auxiliaries on the left. Every man capable of holding a spear and shield has been mustered at the main gate. Awaiting your orders.”

“Good.” Lord Jean replied, but his tone made it sound like it was anything but good. “Look sharp, here they come! ARCHERS!”

The bowmen of the garrison let fly a volley, then a second, then a third, and I watched with satisfaction as the lightly armoured and thinly clothed Seljuks fell in droves. Yet more always rushed forth to replace them, and their siege engines kept coming – a siege tower for the left wall, ladders for the right, and a ram to batter down our gates.

“ARCHERS WITHDRAW!” Lord Jean roared. “INFANTRY TO THE FRONT!” He then turned to me as I heard the unmistakable clang of ladders against the walls. “Captain Aubrey, the right wall is yours. Don’t let a single one of those dogs down below.” He saluted back when I did so, then made his way towards the gates, as I focused my attention onto the walls.

I was among the famed Foot Knights of Jerusalem, and I knew we had the best chance of holding the walls, so I resolved not to let our defences be breached. “Push the ladders off the walls!” I shouted, but it was no use. As I peered over the walls for a brief moment before ducking out of range of their horse archers, I saw fifteen or so men holding the ladders steady. We were going to have to fight. I lowered my visor and gave my orders. “Cut them down as they arrive. DO NOT let them gain a foothold up here.”

And cut them down we did. These knights, well trained and disciplined, gave no quarter, and every time a Saracen showed his head, it was taken clean off. Occasionally they would barrel over the ladders in greater numbers to attempt to overwhelm us, but I had positioned the men well. Anyone who made it onto the wall alive had to contend with four or five men around him, and there was no way anyone could defend himself from that many attacks at the same time.

It was a slaughter.

War cries rang out from my left as the Seljuk siege tower had moved into position, and was now unloading scores of Saracen spearmen onto our walls. Those men were better trained than the militia we were facing now, and our auxiliaries would surely find it difficult to hold onto their section of the walls. Just as I was about to order my detachment to reinforce our Syrian Auxiliaries, another wave of Seljuk spearmen crested the ladders, and once again we had to fight.

“OIL!” Lord Jean yelled from somewhere down below, and I heard the all too recognizable sound of the gatehouse opening its trapdoors and the boiling oil being released. Screams of burnt men rent the air, but not nearly enough, I thought. The fighting was too hard to get a glimpse of what was happening over the battlements, but suffice to say I was pretty sure the Saracen ram had started to smash our gates down. Another few minutes of intense melee went by before we repelled the last of the Seljuks from our walls.

Just then, an auxiliary from the left wall arrived and begged reinforcements. “We’re holding them back,” he reported, his face splattered with blood, “but we need more men!” I risked another quick peek over the walls, and cursed the arrows sent flying my way, before making my decision.

“Serjeant Andre, hold this position with two dozen knights. The rest of you, with me!”

As we rushed towards the left wall, the sounds of battle grew fiercer and fiercer. Alas, when we arrived, I saw that the Seljuks had already gained ground, and had secured a position from which they could step off the siege tower unfettered. Dismay wormed its way to the forefront of my mind, for if the Seljuks were still struggling to safely clamber off their siege tower, it would have been a much more manageable fight. As things stood, it was definitely going to be a bloodbath.

“Reinforce them, hurry!” As I dashed into the melee, I realized why the auxiliaries were having such a tough time. They weren’t facing any average soldier – these spearmen were the Sultan’s preferred infantry – the Dismounted Sipahi Lancers. They gained fame and notoriety for being one of the main units in the Seljuk Sultan’s push to drive the Byzantine Empire out of Anatolia, and the word was, they were brutally effective.

Their killing spree ends here. Today, they face true knights.

For the next few minutes, the battle raged as intensely as any I had in my younger days. The ram against our gates, their spears against our swords, their arrows against our shields, and the many vociferous grunts and shouts let loose during the battle, created a maelstrom of noises, from which one sound was indistinguishable from another. We had all become battle frenzied, the phase when so much blood clouded your vision and so much hate was etched in your mind that you could strike down an allied soldier if he was unfortunate enough to be in the path of your sword strokes.

But not me. I was used to this.

“We must push them back to the tower, else many more of our men will die! Knights, with me!”

As professional soldiers, we had the luxury of being well versed in tactics the common infantryman would never even have practised. The Foot Knights of Jerusalem formed a wall of shields, and shoved their hardest against the Sipahi lancers. When our adversaries realized what was happening, they threw their own bodies and weapons against us, but our shields were bigger, our armour was heavier, and our mass was greater. It took a gargantuan effort, coming up against the best of the Seljuk footmen, but we prevailed. Those who didn’t make it back onto the siege tower in time were crushed, and those who did had nowhere to run.

I clapped the captain of the auxiliaries on the back. “That’s how you do it.” He mumbled something that sounded like gratitude, then rushed to rejoin the melee. “Now keep them pinned on the tower!” I shouted.

A very loud crash announced the success of the Seljuk battering ram – our gates were no more! Concerned, I peered below, and saw the infantry manning the ram charge at our defences. The local spear militia were in charge of the first line of defence, but unlike most other militia, Lord Jean had seen fit to equip them well. They were well armed and armoured, and held their own against the Seljuks charging against them. "MORE OIL!" Someone yelled.

“Captain!” Another voice rang out. I turned – it was Serjeant Andre, accompanied by the men I had left him. “We have secured our walls, their ladders are eating sand at the bottom. Do we go down and reinforce our lord?”

“I will see for myself.” I replied. As a seasoned warrior, I knew that one of the worst ways to have a hole punched in your defences was to leave an area thought to be secure unattended, only to have it taken by the enemy at some point later. But Serjeant Andre was true to his word: the Seljuk ladders were out of commission.

Unfortunately, a far more menacing sight greeted my eyes. The entire bulk of the Seljuk cavalry were now making a beeline straight for the gates to reinforce their infantry, and against such numbers the spearmen surely could not hold them back. I left five men on the walls to guard against any future incursion, then informed an archer that he could now fire the signal. As I watched three flaming arrows soar their way into the sky, I knew that at the Eastern gate, the two detachments of cavalry Lord Jean had kept in reserve were now riding to flank the Seljuks and hopefully take them from the rear. I quickly ordered my men to descend towards the gates – the worst part of the fighting would soon be upon us.

“JAVELINS!”

I crouched down instinctively and covered my body with my shield, but it was unnecessary, for the javelins were not aimed at us. I looked up and saw Lord Jean directing two detachments of javelinmen –one mounted and one on foot. Most of them were nothing more than locals armed with spears trying to defend their homes, but their skill was undeniable. Their javelins struck hard and true, and unhorsed many Sipahi lancers who were trying to break through our lines.

As I ordered my knights into the fray, I saw that our own archers and crossbowmen were firing at the flanks of the enemy. Realizing that I was cutting some of their angle off by placing my men there, I hurriedly attempted to retract my order, but it was too late. Once committed, it would be very difficult and dangerous to order a retreat, even for well trained knights. Even if they could execute that manoeuvre correctly, it was impossible for them to hear me by now. Instead, I ran towards the archers and ordered them to scale the walls and shoot the Seljuks from there. They needed some convincing before they would return to the parapets. “Yes, we already cleared the walls, damnit!” I yelled. “Now get up there before I gut you myself!”

I was sweating profusely and fatigue was starting to get the better of me. As I watched the battle progress, I realized with dread that despite all our efforts, we were still losing. The Seljuk cavalry had trampled most of the spear militia at the gates, and were now attacking with wild abandon the second line of our defence – the Templars.

As I stood there, about to join the melee myself, Lord Jean rode up to me. “Captain! Gather the rest of the men on the walls and bring them here! We’re about to be overrun! See if you can get the knights outside to charge their rear as well, quickly!”

“But the walls, my lord? The siege tower is still – ”

“Forget about the siege tower, Aubrey! If we lose the gatehouse, the battle is done!”

I scrambled to obey, and once I reached the left walls I hastened to repeat my lord’s orders. As the remaining defenders on the walls headed for the gatehouse, I noticed our own cavalry engaging the enemy archers outside, who had tried to use the ladders I thought to be damaged to scale the walls again!

There was no one left to hold the walls, I could only pray that our mounted knights could deal with them fully. I headed below.

Our javelinmen were out of ammunition, and were running to reinforce our badly battered Templar spearmen. Lord Jean himself had just rode into the melee at the gates, and his retinue was fighting an uphill battle to keep him safe. Dozens, if not hundreds of bodies lay strewn around the floor, the blood of men and the trampling of horses pounding them into an unrecognizable muck. As I searched for the knights under my command, I realized with terror that most of them were dead. Despite their best efforts, the Seljuks had overwhelmed them, and even now the Templars were falling back. I wretched feeling in my stomach manifested as I saw the standard of my detachment lying in the sand, broken in two.

Saracen dogs…

I roared something incomprehensible and charged into the fray. Coming in from the side, I took the first two Seljuks by surprise, but the third one was ready for me. He parried my slash, but I surprised him with a shield to the face. Before I could finish him off, two of his compatriots thrust their spears at me, and I stumbled backwards with my shield raised. Somewhere to my left, a Templar tried to assist me, but himself was cut down as he left his own side exposed. Cursing, I tried to divide my two adversaries, but they stuck together and forced me to retreat.

With a great bellow, Serjeant Andre slammed into the Seljuks, causing all of them to tumble to the ground. Surprised but thankful, I recovered and stabbed into the heart of the Seljuk I had downed earlier, then turned and cleaved the arm off another one. “Captain!” Serjeant Andre screamed, “we must make for the castle square, else we –”

My eyes widened as an object I recognized to be an arrow lodged itself in his throat. Dropping his sword and gurgling in agony, the man who had defended Tortosa with me for the last ten years fell to the ground and passed.

Enraged, I tried to rejoin the main body of men, or what was left of it, but providence had other ideas. If they had held their lines for another minute, perhaps I could have made it back behind their shields and commanded a fighting retreat from there. But all at once they were routed, the Templars trying their best to pull back to the castle square alive, and the rest of the militia all but giving up. Right there on the ground, where the Templars had bravely stood their ground, I saw the body of Lord Jean d’Ibelin on the ground, his armour battered and broken, and two arrows and a spear sticking out of his stomach.

Bastards.

I was surrounded. Sipahi lancers and other nameless gutterdogs formed a ring around me as their general rode into the castle. “What are you going to do with me, eh?” I bellowed, dropping my sword and shield. “You going to torture me like the rest of the civilians you’ve killed?”

The Seljuk general gazed at me, wordless and intimidating.

“No.”

As soon as I realized it was the general who had uttered that word, I heard movement from behind and felt something protrude from my stomach. If I had the strength to look down, I would have seen the spear that had penetrated my armor, creating a fountain of blood gushing out of me. If I still had my senses, I would have heard my own screams ululating, projecting the sound of pure agony. But alas, I couldn't even think anymore.
    What I could only describe as burning fire spread from the point of impact towards the rest of my body, engulfing my limbs, my organs, and finally, my head.

It was the last thing I ever felt.

Author's Note:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This partially addresses the problem with most AARs that Cookiegod mentioned earlier on - the protagonist keeps on winning. It's not a solution, but it's a step in the right direction. I cannot overstate how grievous this battle was to me, the loss of an experienced general in BGR IV places a huge toll on your military, among other things requiring the redistribution of war Councillorship. It will probably be the last big battle I write about for a while, as I have many plot details to catch up on. Also, I blame Turkafinwe for this. He obviously hacked into my game while I was fighting the AI and turned it into a drop in battle...
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 10, 2019 at 03:53 AM. Reason: edited death throes

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Jeez, you're already at the high-point of your AAR. I need to get my s together and start posting again... someday.
    Yeh, I don't wanna be mean, but Jean probably deserved to die. You don't put together an army the size of 666 men unless you're in a pact with the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Also, I blame Turkafinwe for this. He obviously hacked into my game while I was fighting the AI and turned it into a drop in battle...
    Yeh, I don't wanna be mean, but Jean probably deserved to die. You don't put together an army the size of 666 men unless you're in a pact with the devil.
    A sacrifice was made, a repayment was delivered!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Wait, that has me confused: Is the army the sacrifice to the devil or are you repaying by destroying the army? Otherwise that would be like me paying for a pizza by eating it?
    Either way, now I'm hooked for the return of the army of 666 undead returning to claim the souls of all the living. Swaeft, I expect you to deliver, or the gates to Cookieheaven shall be closed for you!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Dispirited men mounting a desperate defence, with skilled and well-equipped warriors but many enemies - a nail-biting chapter!

I also immediately noticed the army size and was like, "Weeeellll, this ain't gonna go well." Sorry to say Swaeft, but sometimes God's Justice goes the other way too. Allahu Akbar!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Jeez, you're already at the high-point of your AAR. I need to get my s together and start posting again... someday.
    Haha yeah that was pretty funny, the thing is I actually withdrew a unit of Templar spearmen before that because they were down to 20 men or so and I didn't want to lose them (they had 3 silver chevrons), that 666 number was a happy coincidence! Also don't worry about posting, I'll still be around to read it

A sacrifice was made, a repayment was delivered!
    I will see to it that the city of Annuminas BURNS!!!

Wait, that has me confused: Is the army the sacrifice to the devil or are you repaying by destroying the army? Otherwise that would be like me paying for a pizza by eating it?
    Either way, now I'm hooked for the return of the army of 666 undead returning to claim the souls of all the living. Swaeft, I expect you to deliver, or the gates to Cookieheaven shall be closed for you!
    You see Turk, you're not making any sense Also the thought of a LOTR style Army of the Dead appearing would be pretty hilarious, guess I'll have to find some suitable alternatives to my chocolate chip cookies

Dispirited men mounting a desperate defence, with skilled and well-equipped warriors but many enemies - a nail-biting chapter!
    I had too much fun playing this battle, it actually went pretty well, I was holding them back until their cavalry rushed me. I sent Lord Jean to plug the gap on the left and he lasted quite a while too

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I also immediately noticed the army size and was like, "Weeeellll, this ain't gonna go well." Sorry to say Swaeft, but sometimes God's Justice goes the other way too. Allahu Akbar!
    Yeah, it really does. I don't think I've seen an AAR ended because the faction got defeated, I shall strive to not be the first!!

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas! (Or boxing day, if you're in the future)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    You see Turk, you're not making any sense Also the thought of a LOTR style Army of the Dead appearing would be pretty hilarious, guess I'll have to find some suitable alternatives to my chocolate chip cookies

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas! (Or boxing day, if you're in the future)
    It is not the first time my blabbing made no sense, nor will it be the last time I promise you that. The sacrifice was already made (off screen of course by the Ayyubids perhaps, who knows they did say inshallah so ) I, the devil, had taken control of your AI, as you accused me I did, through my dark powers. The 666 strong army of God's Kingdom forced me to come join the battle as it is an insult to me. I couldn't keep an army alive that proclaims it's "God's Justice" now can I.

Anyway merry christmas!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It is not the first time my blabbing made no sense, nor will it be the last time I promise you that. The sacrifice was already made (off screen of course by the Ayyubids perhaps, who knows they did say inshallah so ) I, the devil, had taken control of your AI, as you accused me I did, through my dark powers. The 666 strong army of God's Kingdom forced me to come join the battle as it is an insult to me. I couldn't keep an army alive that proclaims it's "God's Justice" now can I.

Anyway merry christmas!
    Ahh, I see, that makes more sense out of no sense. Which is no n sense. Right where can I find a guide to drop in battles and how to avoid them? You will have your comeuppance when you try for Barad Dur!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Character List

High Lord Jean de Brienne the Honourable – King of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Marie de Lusignan – Wife of High Lord Jean, Queen of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Lord Jean de Brienne – First Prince of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, War Council Member
    Joan de Brienne – Wife of Lord Jean, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Henri de Lusignan – Close friend, cousin and later brother in law to Lord Jean
    Yolande de Lusignan – Older sister of Lord Jean, wife to Henri de Lusignan, Princess of Jerusalem and the Crusader States
    Baudouin de Brienne - Younger Brother of Lord Jean, Second Prince of Jerusalem

Bohemond de Poitiers the Chivalrous – Count of Tortosa, War Council member
    Melisende de Lusignan – Wife of Bohemond de Poitiers

Jean d’Ibelin – Deceased Prince of Acre, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Melisende – Wife of Jean d’Ibelin
    Balian d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Jean d’Ibelin

Philip d’Ibelin – Duke of Nicosia, Grandmaster of the Knights Templar, Grand Uncle to Lord Jean, Uncle to High Lord Jean
    Alix – Wife of Philip d’Ibelin
    Jean d’Ibelin – Deceased son of Philip d’Ibelin

Lord Tigel de Linus - Commander of Jerusalem's garrison, its Master-at-Arms, and Adviser to Lord Jean, and now Constable of Jerusalem
    Cardinal Reynaud - Presiding Cardinal in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Adviser to Lord Jean
    Sir Raimondo - The First Prince's bodyguard Captain
    Alvaro - One of the First Prince's bodyguards
    Foucaud – Spymaster
    Gaston de Rocafolio – Spy
    Colin – Diplomat
    Gautier Corbet – Diplomat
    Pierre Dupuy – Diplomat
    Denethor the Second – Court jester/fool
    Chirgeon – Stable Master in Jerusalem
    Paragon – Treasurer on the Council of Nobles
    Sir Anduril – Hospitaller Knight
    Robert de Quar - Apprentice scribe to the Royal Chronicler
    Stefano - A mystery...for now

CHAPTER THIRTY

From the Perspective of Lord Jean, First Prince of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1238 AD

Coming back to Jerusalem was always something an army on campaign looked forward to.

After defeating the enemies of the Kingdom, a warm and celebratory outcome often awaited the soldiers who had braved the many rigors and dangers of a campaign into enemy territory, as well as the many accolades and respect gained from doing so.

But this time, it was not the case. The march home from Al Aqaba was a somber, solemn one. We had abandoned the town that had taken the lives of so many Saracens and Crusaders, yet it felt like we were heading towards our own doom. Every step forward is another step into the grave. Only a tight watch by the Templars prevented desertion from certain disillusioned sections of the army. It felt horrible – like we were herding prisoners to their cells. Yet what else could we do? Desertion was never tolerated in the first place, and it wasn’t going to be allowed now just because a Jihad had been called.

Jihad. The very word sent chills down grown men’s spines.

The last Jihad, or at least the one that our Kingdom had recognised as a proper Jihad, was the campaign of Salah-ad-din, the founder of the Ayyubid Sultanate, and the conqueror of Jerusalem. His faith and zeal united the Muslims in the Holy Lands against any Christian, and saw the defeat of the Third Crusade, the sacking of Acre, and numerous losses, chief amongst the land battles, the defeat at Hattin. Almost every Christian in the Holy Land lived in terror, not knowing if they would be murdered in their sleep, or if they would rise on the morrow to see a Saracen flag flying over their fiefs. After all the stories I’d heard about Salah-ad-din’s Jihad, I was silently glad that I wasn’t born during that period of time.

The approach to Jerusalem was fraught with even more despair. Peasants and serfs were desperately trying to flee the city, all too aware of the doom bearing down upon them, and perhaps knowing that the city’s defenders were horribly outnumbered should a Saracen horde arrive at Jerusalem. The well to do rode horses out of the city, with armed guards for their caravan. The less wealthy pooled together florins to share a caravan with like-minded fleeing citizens. And the poor…the poor had to walk out of the city with whatever meagre possessions they had.

The interior of Jerusalem was even worse. If its exterior was desperation, this was all out war. The city watch had its hands full dealing with thieves and beggars, and the air was thick with tension. Christians gave the Muslims dirty stares, and would curse vociferously whenever one came too close for their comfort. Muslim hostility towards their Christian counterparts was also on the rise, and as we rode the few kilometers to the Royal Palace, the streets were littered with shouting matches and, well you could almost call it a full blown riot. It was so bad my father had to stop several times to pacify the aggressors. And even then there were some questions he couldn’t answer.

“Your Majesty, how are we going to defend ourselves with less than two thousand men?”

“My King, has God forsaken us? Why do the Western Kingdoms not help?”

It was a relief to finally reach the palace, and once I entered, I was instantly greeted by the face of my beautiful wife. I immediately rushed over and embraced her, trembling and whispering I’m sorry, I’m so sorry God knows how many times. She hugged me tightly and told me not to worry, but how could I not? I saw her just once this past year, and that was before leaving for the Al Aqaba campaign. I’m going to spend whatever time I have left before the city falls under siege with her.

Alas, even that was beyond my control.

Barely five minutes after we returned, father called for a council meeting which required everyone’s presence to be held in an hour’s time. I spent that hour bathing, eating, and catching up with Joan. She confided in me that she did feel lonely whilst I was on campaign, but understood that it was part of her duty as wife to a prince. “I’m sure you’ll be going on many more campaigns, love.” She gazed at me with those perfect eyes. “I’ll have to get used to it, won’t I?” Even now I wonder what I’d done to deserve such a loving and caring woman…

As we strode towards the council chambers together for the council meeting, I found myself going slack jawed, then bursting with exuberance when I saw a face I’d not expected to see here in the city. I ran over and hugged my best friend as my wife let out one of her pearly laughter’s.

“Henri!” I clasped him gently, chuckling. “Well, you certainly look older. How…how was Gaza?”

He snorted, then chortled. “Jean, you make it sound as though I was having a holiday there. It was tough, I’ll concede, but I daresay I came out a stronger man than I was before. Ah, Princess Joan, how very lovely to see you again.”

I chatted excitedly with Henri about his stay in the former Ayyubid Fortress, and although it was just a ten minute walk from my quarters to the council chambers, we were speaking so fast it felt as though our lives could be summarized in those ten minutes. Henri had been ordered back to Jerusalem the night after my father received news of the Jihad, and had been staying in the city ever since, occasionally going to Acre to visit his family. I even jested that he had received the better deal, as my punishment was considered to be more severe, a notion which he was strenuously against.

All our elation vanished upon entering the council chambers, however, as the stark reality of a city about to come under siege made itself apparent to us. The council of nobles were grim people, but this time they looked really depressed. Father’s men didn’t look any better – Lord de Linus was mumbling to himself, and Raimondo was sitting with his arms folded, casting his solemn gaze around the table. My mother looked very stressed out, and something told me she hadn’t slept well since we were gone.

Only my father remained the same, his trademark stoic face on display for all to see. “Jean. I trust young Henri has told you I’ve allowed him back.”

I took my place next to my mother, who shot me a waning smile. I grasped her hand and squeezed it gently, then answered: “Yes, father. Thank you for taking him back. Does this mean – ”

High Lord Jean shook his head. “Don’t be too pleased. The reason I brought him back is so he can fight against the Jihad in person. I’m still vexed with him.” Henri bowed his head, shamefaced, and said nothing. I sighed, as I was once again reminded that nothing was ever easy with my father.

“On to the matters at hand.” My father beckoned to a middle aged man in a leather jerkin, who inclined his head.

“As you have ordered a year ago, my King, the fortifications in Jerusalem have been strengthened. The gates have been reinforced with more steel, and the towers are being fitted with ballistae. More oil slots have been added to the gatehouses, and a good portion of stone has been added to the top of the walls to be used in repelling enemy invaders.”

“Very good, master mason. Lord de Linus?”

“The city watch remains understrength, as is the custom,” Tigel de Linus reported, “but they’ll do their job in keeping the peace. I may have to conscript a few dozen men from the populace in order to quell the rising unrest from the Jihad declaration, though.”

Father nodded. “Very well. Take whatever measures you feel are necessary. I trust in your judgement. Lord Paragon! How fares our treasury?”

“It behooves me to say that despite your success in the Al Aqaba campaign, its logistical demands have taken a toll on our limited resources. We are treading very thinly, the construction of ballistae used up the last of our reserves. Any more significant expenses may push us deeper into bankruptcy.”

My father stroked his chin. “Understood. Has our trade been impacted in any way since the declaration? Have you noticed anything abnormal? Missing trade shipments, perhaps?”

Lord Paragon answered normally, but Lord de Linus and Raimondo stiffened ever so slightly. They knew why father was asking such questions, but unfortunately Lord Paragon’s answer gave nothing away. “We’ve had some troubles with Seljuk raids around the city of Nicosia, my King. Certain trade ships have been attacked and sunk. Nevertheless, trade between the Byzantine Empire and other eastern Kingdoms remains open.” My father let that sink in for a moment, then nodded his understanding.

“Your Majesty.” Another member of the council of nobles spoke up. “You must deal with Lord Philip as soon as you can. The longer you keep him without a trial, the more disillusioned the Templars will become. We cannot ensure their loyalty in battle when we hold their grandmaster captive.”

“The issue with Cardinal Reynaud must also be solved quickly, your Majesty.” A third member added his voice to the mix. “The Sepulchre cannot function for too long without a cardinal, lest the people wonder why we have forsaken our traditions. If you will not punish him, at least appoint a replacement from one of the clergy here in Jerusalem.”

My father rubbed his hands together. “Gentlemen, I have thought long and hard about this matter on the way back from Al Aqaba. The Cardinal will be punished as a combatant, then sent back to Rome for the Pope to deal with. I will appoint a replacement immediately. Lord Philip’s situation is unique because he has a commitment to the Knights Templar, yet first and foremost he is a Lord of this realm. A trial will be held at the earliest convenience, please arrange one, Lord de Linus.”

The trial took place earlier than expected. The very next day everyone in the palace received summons to attend a public trial to be held in front of the palace steps. Some of the more curious city folk had arrived to witness the spectacle, and the streets thronged with guardsmen, Templars, and citizens.

Lord Philip was brought before the council of nobles, presided over by my father. “Your punishment will be severe.” My father had decreed. “Since you are both a lord of this realm and the grandmaster of the Knights Templar, I offer you these two choices. Pass on your title of grandmaster to another of your Templars – I am certain they do not want a person of your morals leading them anyway. Then you will be punished according to military law. Or…you can forsake your lordship and all other titles, and continue as the grandmaster of the Templars.”

Oohs and aahs rang out from the crowd, and Lord Philip looked like he had been hit in the head. It took a few minutes before the flabbergasted look vanished from his face, and even then it had not disappeared entirely. A shrewd plan. This way, neither the Templars nor the nobility can claim he wasn’t punished commensurate to his crime. Avoids some of the legal problems as well.

It ended more quickly than I had expected too. Lord Philip proclaimed to all that he was stepping down as the Templar Grandmaster, to the jeering of the crowd. He was escorted away by guards, and that was the end of the whole sordid affair.

Now, it was time to turn my attention to the defense of Jerusalem.

From the Perspective of High Lord Jean, King of Jerusalem, The City of Jerusalem, 1238 AD

Two of my bodyguards accompanied me into the city jail while the rest waited outside. I waved the jailer away and proceeded straight to Lord Philip’s cell. He had been sequestered away in a corner of the jail, and no one was within a hundred feet of him. The man looked at me with repugnance in his eyes.

“How could you do this, sire? For years I have done nothing but fight to defend –”

“Lord Philip. I do not believe that you did this.”

“You have no proof! And even if you did shouldn’t I get to – what did you say?”

“The whole trial was a farce. A spectacle. Somewhere out there, the real perpetrators of this crime are laughing amongst themselves. They think that they’ve managed to hoodwink all of us. But a man of your principles and dedication could not have done this.”

Lord Philip looked astounded. “So the trial…”

I nodded. “Yes. A trap of my own. To make the criminals think they have the upper hand for now.”

As Lord Philip absorbed this information, a flash of anger appeared on his face. “Sire, you could have picked anyone to be the scapegoat. Why me? I am ruined! The Templars no longer welcome me in their ranks, and my name is now treated with disdain. You have dishonoured myself and my family, and for what? You don’t even know who’s behind this!”

I crossed my arms. “You’re right. I don’t. That’s what I want you to find out. You are still Lord of Nicosia, are you not? I didn’t strip you of your titles. Return to Nicosia, link up with my spymaster Foucaud, figure out who’s behind this, and report back to me. We need those supplies.”

“And why the hell would I do that, after all you’ve put me through?”

I grasped the bars of the cell he was in and looked him straight in the eye. “I’m getting old, Lord Philip. A man can only expect to live another ten years at this rate. I may even die in this Jihad. My son isn’t ready to become King. He’s too soft-hearted. Too kind.”

My voice dropped to a whisper. “The Templars won’t take you back now. But you can still command them and more. How does the title Lord Regent sound?”

Author's Note:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Interlude coming up next! I must say the AI is very relentless, perhaps I should not have done VH/VH for an AAR playthrough, what happens if my generals all die?
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 10, 2019 at 03:53 AM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've just stumbled on this and seen the last two updates. I won't comment on the story stuff as I intend to read this as a binge type thing. But I must say Swaeft you write better action than I could ever hope too. The action and tension is very good.

I don't know how to comment on AARs. I will go and read the prologue but I'm not sure how to give feedback so do tell me.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    I've just stumbled on this and seen the last two updates. I won't comment on the story stuff as I intend to read this as a binge type thing. But I must say Swaeft you write better action than I could ever hope too. The action and tension is very good.

I don't know how to comment on AARs. I will go and read the prologue but I'm not sure how to give feedback so do tell me.
    Hello! Nice of you to drop by! Yeah don't worry about the comments, don't feel obligated to do so. But I think you read the better parts of the AAR, the first ten-ish chapters are very convoluted. Thank you kindly for the praise, though!

As for the feedback, well, anything that comes to your mind, really. There isn't a standard format, but for me when I read other AARs I point out what impressed me the most in the chapter, what I like in general about it and what improvements the Author could potentially make (though that is pretty rare seeing as the level of work here far exceeds my critique). But really, anything goes. Pretty sure most of us just love knowing that there are people out there appreciating our work. Cheers!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Np Swaeft, many thanks and will read on!

Content Emeritus

I really liked this chapter! Well done Swaeft! I just finished reading a trilogy on Salah-ad-Din by Jack Hight and the first part really brings me back to it. Rather than Jihad it was the word Crusade that made men shiver in fear. A really good series and I would highly recommend it if you have the time. High Lord Jean proves time and again that he is shrewd and clever man, though shaming one's ally and ruining his reputation is a dangerous thing indeed that could come back to bite him in the behind. I can't imagine that Philip will forgive the King easily for this transgression.

I wholeheartedly agree with Swaeft that there is no standard format for commenting on AAR's. Like Swaeft I usually point out the things I liked the most or what intrigued me most or just the random thoughts that popped up in my brain when reading said chapter(s). Also criticism can be given if you think something could be improved, even if it is just correcting a spelling mistake or giving a way to improve the construction of a certain sentence that might fit better. Or you could just tell the person you like what they are creating. It's like Swaeft says, most writers just like to see people are appreciating their work. It sure makes me happy and definitely gives me a boost of confidence when I see someone has commented their thoughts on my creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    Ahh, I see, that makes more sense out of no sense. Which is no n sense. Right where can I find a guide to drop in battles and how to avoid them? You will have your comeuppance when you try for Barad Dur!
    Turkafinwë used confuse, It was super effective I have a Master's Degree in no n sense, don't you know. I got it at the University of Bal-On-Ey. You'll need at least lvl 60 in magic before you can drop into battles like that. Everyone fears Sauron but they really should fear the Dark Lord Swaeft instead. Perhaps you don't have to wait for Barad-Dur, we haven't passed the Black Gate yet .....
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; December 31, 2018 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added some shenanigans

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The High Lord's decree at the trial of Lord Philip sounds like a politically smart move, indeed. When the perspective shifts to the High Lord, I enjoyed the twist and the different perspective on the trial which is revealed in the conversation. I'm enjoying this!

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The High Lord's decree at the trial of Lord Philip sounds like a politically smart move, indeed. When the perspective shifts to the High Lord, I enjoyed the twist and the different perspective on the trial which is revealed in the conversation. I'm enjoying this!
    Glad to hear it! To be honest it wasn't initially supposed to turn out that way, but as I was writing the chapter I was thinking to myself: I've already portrayed High Lord Jean as a shrewd character. It won't do to have him mess up a trial! Although, it might not have been such a good idea to slander his most noble lord...

Np Swaeft, many thanks and will read on!
    Anytime! Oh and don't feel pressured to comment or anything, I know you've got your own works, so focus on those first! Cheers

I really liked this chapter! Well done Swaeft! I just finished reading a trilogy on Salah-ad-Din by Jack Hight and the first part really brings me back to it. Rather than Jihad it was the word Crusade that made men shiver in fear. A really good series and I would highly recommend it if you have the time. High Lord Jean proves time and again that he is shrewd and clever man, though shaming one's ally and ruining his reputation is a dangerous thing indeed that could come back to bite him in the behind. I can't imagine that Philip will forgive the King easily for this transgression.
    Thanks Turk! Afinwe! Oh that's cool, I've read a few books on the crusade myself, but it was from my local library and from quite a few years back. Thanks for the suggestion! Well, depending on which side you're on, it could definitely be the word crusade that sent you running in fear. Although for me the word war already gives me the shivvies. Yes that's not a word and I just made that up. I can't imagine that Philip will forgive the King either! A bold move indeed...

I wholeheartedly agree with Swaeft that there is no standard format for commenting on AAR's. Like Swaeft I usually point out the things I liked the most or what intrigued me most or just the random thoughts that popped up in my brain when reading said chapter(s). Also criticism can be given if you think something could be improved, even if it is just correcting a spelling mistake or giving a way to improve the construction of a certain sentence that might fit better. Or you could just tell the person you like what they are creating. It's like Swaeft says, most writers just like to see people are appreciating their work. It sure makes me happy and definitely gives me a boost of confidence when I see someone has commented their thoughts on my creation.
    Nice to hear your input on this! I concur

Turkafinwë used confuse, It was super effective I have a Master's Degree in no n sense, don't you know. I got it at the University of Bal-On-Ey. You'll need at least lvl 60 in magic before you can drop into battles like that. Everyone fears Sauron but they really should fear the Dark Lord Swaeft instead. Perhaps you don't have to wait for Barad-Dur, we haven't passed the Black Gate yet .....
    Okay that was a good one. I was thinking: Balloon...ey? Then: Ohhhh... Level 60! I don't have the time to grind for that! *opens the console* Oh, I am a dark lord now, am I? But I'm supposed to be the Transcendent of Light, leading the crusaders to glory! Oh and *takes deep breath and in best impression of harry p - i mean Gandalf*: YOUUUUU SHAALLLLL NOT PAAASSSS

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Interlude II

Robert de Quar paced back and forth, ill at ease with the current situation. A Jihad. Things were quickly spiraling out of control. He'd heard rumours of the wild cruelty of the Muslims, how they attacked with reckless abandon during times of Holy War. As a scribe, wrong, Junior Master now, Robert stood dutifully at his post, overseeing the novices and apprentices who were scribbling away on their parchments.

The Pope normally requested for a thorough and detailed report only once every ten years, but the call for a Jihad had him so worried that he wanted a report as soon as possible. Robert fumed, for the report was taking longer than it should have, with some scribes deserting their post and the city when news of the Jihad filtered in. The previous Junior Master had fled, and so Robert had been promoted by the Royal Chronicler to that post for his excellent work on one of his own After Action Reports. This was a post he intended to do his very best in, and the lethargy with which this report was being compiled smacked of poor performance on his part.

Too harsh, Robert. He told himself. Any of his scribes could have deserted, but the ones that had stayed, had stayed because they were honest in their pursuit of the truth. Robert proceeded to look at the final draft they were drawing up. As he examined the report, a feeling of dread arose within him. We are in a very poor position, what with the trial of Lord Philip and the recent Pyrrhic victory at Tortosa. I will be lucky to live through this Jihad. Though reports of a plague at Damascus is troubling...

The Impromptu Report on the Crusader States, published during the year of our lord 1238 Anno Domini.

Economy

The population of the Crusader States is: 89085, and is steadily increasing. The populace is split into 24612 in Jerusalem, 11212 in Acre, 5844 in Tortosa, 6494 in Kerak, 13292 in Damascus, 9696 in Al Aqaba, 11895 in Gaza, and 6040 in Nicosia, of which all are showing positive growth rates with the notable exception of Jerusalem, where hundreds of people have been fleeing from.

The territory of the Crusader States consists of: The capital city of Jerusalem, the city of Nicosia, the city of Damascus, the fortress of Gaza, the town of Al Aqaba, the castle of Acre, the castle of Kerak, and the castle of Tortosa. The fortress of Gaza was captured in 1237 AD, and the town of Al Aqaba in the same year.

The religious dispositions of the abovementioned territories are as such: Jerusalem 96%, Acre 99%, Tortosa 86%, Kerak 75%, Nicosia 66%, Damascus 76%. (Christianity)

The progress of construction of buildings in the abovementioned territories are as follows:
    Jerusalem – Huge Stone Walls, Militia Barracks, Communal Farming, Dirt Roads, Great Market, Cathedral, Holy Sepulchre, Dome of the Rock, Port, Leather Tanner, Council Chambers, Siege Works, Templars’ Minor Chapter House
    Acre – Fortress, Stables, Drill Square, Paved Roads, Port, Practice Range, Blacksmith, Small Chapel, Templars’ Minor Chapter House
    Tortosa – Castle, Garrison Quarters, Small Chapel, Dirt Roads, Port, Practice Range, Blacksmith, Catapult Maker
    Kerak – Castle, Dirt Roads, Stables, Drill Square, Practice Range, Leather Tanner, Small Chapel, Land Clearance, Stonemason’s Hut
    Nicosia – Wooden Wall, Dirt Roads, Port, Leather Tanner, Communal Farming, Mines
    Damascus – Stone Wall, Town Guard, Paved Roads, Leather Tanner, Market, Town Hall, Land Clearance, Small Church

Robert de Quar paused, and blinked twice in confusion. "Where is the report on our finances?" He asked a novice. The novice bowed and replied: "Lord Paragon has yet to furnish us with the details. I have already sent a messenger to request the information again."

Robert frowned. This was most unlike the Royal Treasurer. "Very well. Perhaps he had not the time to prepare a thorough report for us. Continue."

Battles

The number of significant battles the Crusader States has fought since the last report is: 12, of which 12 were victories and 0 were defeats. The full list of battles and the losses sustained are as follows:

(Commanding General: Lord Jean d'Ibelin) The First Siege of Tortosa, 1237 AD: Heroic Victory – 31 crusaders lost, whereas 125 Saracens were killed and another 78 captured. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: Lord Bohemond de Poitiers) The Second Siege of Damascus, 1237 AD: Heroic Victory – 128 crusaders lost, whereas 355 Saracens were killed and another 229 were taken prisoner. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: High Lord Jean) The First Battle of Gaza, 1237 AD: Victory – But the losses of our own troops and that of the enemy were not recorded, for the High Lord immediately laid siege to Gaza.

(Commanding General: High Lord Jean - Auxiliary Generals: Lord Arnoldt von Hohenstaufen from the Holy Roman Empire, and Councillor Conrad of the Teutonic Order) The First Siege of Gaza, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 126 crusaders lost, whereas 281 Saracens were killed and another 82 captured. The prisoners were held for ransom and executed when no reply was forthcoming.

(Commanding General: High Lord Jean) The First Siege of Al Aqaba, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 163 crusaders lost, whereas 684 Saracens were killed and another 2 were taken prisoner. The prisoners were held for ransom and executed when no reply was forthcoming.

(Commanding General: Lord Jean) The First Battle of Al Aqaba, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 144 crusaders lost, whereas 371 Saracens were killed and another 113 captured. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: Lord Jean d'Ibelin) The Second Siege of Tortosa, 1237 AD: Heroic Victory – 34 crusaders lost, whereas 231 Saracens were killed and another 73 captured. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: Lord Philip d'Ibelin) The First Battle of Kerak, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 24 crusaders lost, whereas 70 Saracens were killed and another 304 captured. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: Lord Jean) The Second Battle of Al Aqaba, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 9 crusaders lost, whereas 36 Saracens were killed and another 79 captured. The prisoners were released.

(Commanding General: High Lord Jean) The Third Battle of Al Aqaba, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 61 crusaders lost, whereas 302 Saracens were killed and another 516 captured. The prisoners were held for ransom and executed when no reply was forthcoming.

(Commanding General: High Lord Jean) The Fourth Battle of Al Aqaba, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – 14 crusaders lost, whereas 232 Saracens were killed and another 47 captured. The prisoners were held for ransom and executed when no reply was forthcoming.

(Commanding General: Lord Jean d'Ibelin) The Third Siege of Tortosa, 1237 AD: Clear Victory – Reports are still coming in, but it is apparent that it was a very brutal battle.

Robert de Quar sighed. This has been a year of battles. Many have died. But why does it feel like we're still in the same position as before, perhaps even worse? Shaking his head morosely, he turned his attention to the diplomacy section.

Diplomacy

The trading partners of the Crusader States consist of: The Papal States, The Kingdom of Sicily, The Republic of Venice, The Republic of Genoa, the Holy Roman Empire, The French Empire, The Kingdom of England, The Kingdom of Hungary, The Kingdom of Poland, The Kingdom of Portugal, The Byzantine Empire, and the Teutonic Order.

The current pledged allies of the Crusader States consist of: The Papal States, The Holy Roman Empire, The Kingdom of Hungary, The Kingdom of Sicily, The Kingdom of Portugal, The Teutonic Order, and the Kingdom of England by marriage.

"Junior Master Robert!" Robert's ears pricked up slightly. As much as he kept telling himself it was just a title, it was nice to be called Master, even if it was Junior Master.

An apprentice came running. The same apprentice he had sent to the docks. "The Royal Chronicler is at the docks and is asking for the report right now. He says that Saracen ships will soon encircle Jerusalem's waters, and now is our only chance to bring the report out." The apprentice glanced towards the report that was still being compiled, and sheepishly looked back at Robert.

Blast it. "Very well. You three, bring that report to the docks. The rest of you, leave for Cyprus immediately. The city is no longer safe."

The novices and apprentices bowed and rushed about their business, but the last one to leave stopped at the door as he realized Robert was not coming. "Junior Master." The apprentice scribe croaked. "You are...staying?"

Robert de Quar nodded, and dismissed the incredulous apprentice with a flick of his wrist. Someone needs to ensure that the atrocities committed during this Jihad are recorded first hand. Because there will be atrocities. By both sides. And we are impartial. Robert gave one glance at the sigil of the Royal Chronicler's office. Deus Videt Omnia. God sees all.

Now where did the Royal Chronicler keep his stash of that fine vintage?
    Last edited by Swaeft; January 10, 2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Changed the scribe name

As with the last interlude, I really liked this. The idea is still cool, and it's a nice way to put in black and white the gritty details of the campaign without breaking the fourth wall. I'm not sure if you're planning this or not, but the following line got me thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    Someone needs to ensure that the atrocities committed during this Jihad are recorded first hand. Because there will be atrocities. By both sides. And we are impartial.

Given that the scribes are supposed to be impartial, it might be cool to here and there get a small standalone report from Robin about some event (a report outside of this bigger census stuff, I mean). Then you could give a less "God's Steel" type of narrative here and there, and show the enemy for what they are, which is also just people doing their normal people thing. It's just a thought, and not one which has to be at all incorporated, but I thought it might be cool.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    As with the last interlude, I really liked this. The idea is still cool, and it's a nice way to put in black and white the gritty details of the campaign without breaking the fourth wall. I'm not sure if you're planning this or not, but the following line got me thinking:

[/FONT][/SIZE]Given that the scribes are supposed to be impartial, it might be cool to here and there get a small standalone report from Robin about some event (a report outside of this bigger census stuff, I mean). Then you could give a less "God's Steel" type of narrative here and there, and show the enemy for what they are, which is also just people doing their normal people thing. It's just a thought, and not one which has to be at all incorporated, but I thought it might be cool.
    Hey Kilo11!

I'm glad the interlude still holds its appeal. Though I must admit I'm a little confused as to what you mean by show the enemy for what they are. Are you trying to say something like get him to mingle with the Saracens in the city, or write a report about the more civil, less war type concerns of the people?

As always, thanks for giving your input!