Thread: Shiny Black Guard

Default Shiny Black Guard

Hi, I've been trying to change Black Guard of Naggarond to a more shiny version that i saw on various dark elf artworks. I tried to use gloss map and .normal textures from dread knights and it helped a little but its still not what ive wanted. I suppose that some textures must na changed in other way- dam somebody help me with that? Or maybe someone Has done something simillar already?

Default Re: Shiny Black Guard

Do You have any example of artwork You want blackguard to look like?

If you want metallic look it is possible to give it to most of textures:

Usually model has diffuse , specular (metallic color and intensity), gloss_map ( not sure ,amount of shine ?) , mask (team coloring) , normal ( 3d effect on texture) . dds files, some have alpha channel also it makes part's of model invisible usually hair. there are nice Magnar guides on youtube.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

As you said I tried Mgnar guides on youtube and tired to work on diffuse and specular, but I must be doing something wrong, because now Black guard armour looks like is full of green and blue pixels.
    All I did was in photoshop, Gimp and its dds plugin doesn't work for me.

Image posted here should represent black guard models in game ( paint it over and post what You want to achieve)
    Open diffuse , specular and normal , mask paint black where you don't want to see team color overwrite other textures.

To make part gold metallic notice gold color parts in specular.dds, so you need to color parts you wanna make shiny in specular .dds to gold color but also to paint diffuse and gloss to the same as those parts are in there get same effect ( diffuse ussualy is dark grey /black to be more shiny, if it is non team colourable texture like humanoid skin it remains like in game , but if it should be tc its usually grey and later mask colors it..
    Gloss determines amount of lightning it reflects.

Some tips
    In photoshop I save file as psd to make editing later easier.
    Great help is use of lasso and layers , Layers are easier to copy later via select pixels option, if you select corners of image and pixels you want to transfer to other texture via copy it makes editing easier , later you just delete copied corners.
    I
    have done similar with dragon prince texture where parts of armor are ceramic white i changed them to metallic like they are in army book. Here are some examples.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post15615452

Important is also how you save file with which options , alpha channel where it was , mipmaps, which dxt format , I save with Dxt5 but it should be same size as original file.

Thank you for tips
    I saw your thread with HE retextures and what you've done to dragon pronces and swordmasters is precisely what i want to do- to have black guard a more "mirrorlike" armor, but still to be black in color.
    here Is what I achieved so far, and only gloss map works, diffuse is still mess in game(Im just trying to darken the color now). It seems that any diffuse file that I open in photoshop and then save- without touching it, causes taht effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails def_black_guard_body_01_diffuse.psd  

It is kinda hard to tell what problem is if you don't post whole project or in game shot but I will try.
    To save properly You need dds plugin for Photoshop You got nvidia, intel , I believe I use some kinda integrated downloaded from link from this site . If you can't opens some items properly or moded file size is way different that may cause non wanted results also.

On this image that I opened various files in Photoshop 1 and 2 are original diffuse and specular

3 and 4 is opened diffuse You posted with and without darkened layer I notice some difference in diffuse , If you haven't modded it it might be version before Queen and Crone patch when they changed some Elven textures.

Image 1 and 2 notice Yellow parts in specular if You paint them silver You will get silver blackguard .
    If you darken specular You will get darkened armour. Though this can be done on gloss also.

Another tip is to find very similar Armor mod on steam workshop there is maybe Black Karl Franz , Archaon, Grimgor and that may guide You to your solution.

But to make other parts metallic you got to use same principle by observing areas with gold ,and reproducing same sequence on each texture type relevant diffuse, gloss, specular, mask just paint black to avoid team colour on those parts, normal is for 3d effects if You don't change them it is irrelevant.

( On diffuse those parts are black so paint new parts black too, and paint metallic version on specular similar bright ( yellow or other colour and make same thing on gloss , I usally copy specular and use photo filter red 100% and edit brightness / contrast)

Also try searching here and official game forums for additional information , and even some older games have similar ways of modding textures.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...reaks-textures
    https://forums.totalwar.com/categories/mods
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...hed-out#latest
    Last edited by kelembribor21; August 09, 2018 at 12:48 PM.