Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Trump announces... Space Force?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    I'm pretty excited about this. Will definitely look at joining when they release that information.

  2. #22
    Praepositus
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,409

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Wow the last thing the US needs, given how much having a Air Farce already detracts from fighting the wars we really are actually fighting. Look another reason to kill the A-10, because we need to fund an armed space fighter just to be ready - I am sure it can provide ground support on target at Hyper-sonic speeds
    Although its started as a joke or possibly a throwaway by a orange turd desperate to appear "Presidential" I suddenly have a sick feeling this is exactly how it will end up, like Reagan's "Star Wars" turning into Bush II's "Missile Defence Program".

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Who has a pound of flesh in this? Who cares outside of making jokes and inserting a sci-fi meme.
    Probably no one, although its possible a sneaky Admiral got into the president's ear second before he approached the mic and whispered "Air Force can't go into space, there's no air there".

    IIRC space has been demilitarised by treaty, and although both sides have ignored that with spy satellites etc only the US can afford to seriously militarise space. As you say, I'm sure they'll find an expensive weapons program to drain away from something that actually works.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

  3. #23

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Wow the last thing the US needs, given how much having a Air Farce already detracts from fighting the wars we really are actually fighting. Look another reason to kill the A-10, because we need to fund an armed space fighter just to be ready - I am sure it can provide ground support on target at Hyper-sonic speeds.

    Who has a pound of flesh in this? Who cares outside of making jokes and inserting a sci-fi meme.
    The A-10 should be killed. It needs a proper successor. Other platforms can cover the gap while the rest of the military figures out whether we need it again. I think it's a bit foolish to keep relying on a decades old platform that has no political backing to keep it on life support. Just pull the plug and see if we are really missing it or not.

  4. #24
    LWC's Avatar Foederatus
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Ummm, Suki Mountain, that's very cavalier of you to declare "A-10 should be killed." Do you have any clue on the use of airpower and the assets in our inventory? Whether there's political backing or not is a very poor reason to terminate an asset that our ground troops came to trust and rely upon. Do you have inside knowledge on what is currently in the works to replace the A-10s with its known durability, ability to loiter over a sector under fire, and firepower? "Just pull the plug and see if we are really missing it or not," would you say this if you or your family is the one on the front line under heavy fire requesting a close air support? You are beginning to sound like Nancy "Stretch" Pelosi, we have to pass the bill before we could read it. Yeesh. You claim you are a citizen, may I ask a citizen of what???? Declare your allegiance, so readers know the intention behind your writings.

    Reading all the negative reactions to the proposal of creating a Space Force is quite surprising, considering most of us here plays Total War and have some sense of national defense and strategy. Do you know since the 90's the russians and commie China have been planning and developing optical and kinetic weapons to take out satellites? Western society and military rely increasingly on telecommunications, internet, and GPS, and as we joke around here they already have the ability to take out those satellites (in space). So we should just leave that vulnerability undefended? Why should we build a wall around our settlement? Why militarize a peaceful settlement? Even if we have a wall that would indicate our desire to be left alone and live in peace - why agitate our neighbors with ballistas, archery towers, catapults, scorpions, trebuchets, portcullis, oil boiling cauldrons, moats and keeps????!!!!!

    Most of the debate at the Administration, DoD and Pentagon is in regard to having a Space Corp under USAF or an independent Space Force, not over whether to have defenses to protect our interests and assets in space.
    Last edited by NorseThing; July 19, 2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: consecutive posts

  5. #25
    AqD's Avatar Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    9,356

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWC View Post
    Reading all the negative reactions to the proposal of creating a Space Force is quite surprising, considering most of us here plays Total War and have some sense of national defense and strategy. Do you know since the 90's the russians and commie China have been planning and developing optical and kinetic weapons to take out satellites? Western society and military rely increasingly on telecommunications, internet, and GPS, and as we joke around here they already have the ability to take out those satellites (in space). So we should just leave that vulnerability undefended? Why should we build a wall around our settlement? Why militarize a peaceful settlement? Even if we have a wall that would indicate our desire to be left alone and live in peace - why agitate our neighbors with ballistas, archery towers, catapults, scorpions, trebuchets, portcullis, oil boiling cauldrons, moats and keeps????!!!!!

    Most of the debate at the Administration, DoD and Pentagon is in regard to having a Space Corp under USAF or an independent Space Force, not over whether to have defenses to protect our interests and assets in space.
    to protect all the assets in space would imply nothing sort of complete world domination.

    Life is by nature vulnerable and you're being paranoid, afraid of being killed by anyone who's not your friend.

    Our planet is not a playground of Total War.

  6. #26
    LWC's Avatar Foederatus
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    33

    Default

    No, thank God, our planet is not a Total War playground all the time, but last century came pretty close twice. It's a fine line between prudence and paranoia when it comes to security. Like playing Chess (sorry about using another game as an example) one has to look forward ahead a few steps and anticipate how your opponent will act or react. Not being paranoid, but to anticipate opponents or competitors moves to protect oneself - nature of diplomacy, politics, and military - since the cost of not doing so is too great; survival vs destruction, life vs death, and not to mention blood to be spilt. Sun Tzu's caution is the very first sentence in his work. Look at history, a country's weakness invites opponents' probes to see how far they could go to take advantage of it. Life is vulnerable, so we should just leave our door and windows open and not try to protect what is ours?

    Nice sentiment, but the real world we live in are filled with bad actors. As I've said, russia and commie china have already developed the means to take out our satellites and have done successful trial runs in aiming and shooting lasers at them, if we do nothing then it's negligence. We've being put on notice.

    Just because I put a lock on my doors and windows, and set up an alarm system in my house to prevent intruders, that is not an intent to dominate the neighborhood. So, why would satellite defenses and protection be considered a domination of space? Why not question the burglars and nation actors who seek to intrude or destroy satellites - wouldn't they be more guilty of aggression and seeking dominance over someone else's property?
    Last edited by NorseThing; July 19, 2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: consecutive posts

  7. #27

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    This is the problem with knee-jerk party politics.

    Protecting the sat network is a vital element of the US military, due to it's reliance on GPS and satelite linked tech. However the left will cry foul at any of trump's policies based on the fact that that trump is not their faction's president.

  8. #28
    AqD's Avatar Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    9,356

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Quote Originally Posted by LWC View Post
    Why not question the burglars and nation actors who seek to intrude or destroy satellites - wouldn't they be more guilty of aggression and seeking dominance over someone else's property?
    You're assuming they have bad intentions. But there is a strong possibility they see US as evil and simply feel compelled to act on it.

    To them US is nothing but a big who often beat the crap out of small kids, making the teens afraid and they have to do something.

    Of course those countries are led by oppressive evil governments but Trump is not talking about addressing those problems, he's just seeking to build up military, and then those countries will follow. To what end? If US loses the arms race (quite foreseeable unless his economic strategy works), we'd all be the losers.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    You're assuming they have bad intentions. But there is a strong possibility they see US as evil and simply feel compelled to act on it.

    To them US is nothing but a big who often beat the crap out of small kids, making the teens afraid and they have to do something.

    Of course those countries are led by oppressive evil governments but Trump is not talking about addressing those problems, he's just seeking to build up military, and then those countries will follow. To what end? If US loses the arms race (quite foreseeable unless his economic strategy works), we'd all be the losers.
    It's a valid point, the sat network is key to how America prosecutes warfare, it's a valid target.

  10. #30
    LWC's Avatar Foederatus
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Trump announces... Space Force?

    Not just the US, may I add, but all the developed economies East and West. When those opponents indicated a clear intent, what should we do, how could we just stand by and still be sovereign nations, what is the cost of doing nothing via Chamberlain's strategy last century??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •