Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's America is taking children away from their parents at the border and detaining them separately

Elfdude's Avatar Tribunus
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Trump's America is taking children away from their parents at the border and detaining them separately

With beliefs like that I'm glad you weren't born in Nazi Germany. Civil disobedience is an american tradition.

Default Re: Trump's America is taking children away from their parents at the border and detaining them separately

Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    With beliefs like that I'm glad you weren't born in Nazi Germany. Civil disobedience is an american tradition.
    Only within reason, laws have to be respected at some level in society or you have a breakdown of society. Having the odd joint is against the law in many places and that's reasonable to subvert, but to physically harm others or steal is a clear example of overstepping. Even if we go down to a purely civil matter such as not paying taxes, the law must be enforced to ensure the stability of society. What gets me is how you're unable to understand the nuance of this and have to jump to making nazi comparisons, it speaks volumes about your perception of what are otherwise complex issues.

In terms of border enforcement, civil disobedience or not, the borders need to be enforced to stop a floodgates opening type situation. As it stands, if there were only a few border jumpers it wouldn't be such an issue. Instead the number has crept up to the point where there are millions of "undocumented" (illegal) migrants residing in the states. Even what are seen as unfair laws are often in place to do as we say in Britain, prevent people from taking the piss.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Skahn View Post
    This has to be one of the most ignorant and ridiculous things ever posted on this forum... The Indigenous peoples of the Americas almost certainly could NOT have stopped the immigration/invasion of Europeans into their homelands. For one, they didn't have a freaking navy to stop all the damn boats crossing the Atlantic. Secondly, they didn't even smelt iron and were painfully disadvantaged by their lack of technological progress compared with the Europeans, who had freaking guns. Third, the Europeans brought tons of diseases with them that the indigenous peoples had no evolutionary experience dealing with, meaning that huge swathes of their population died simply by coming into contact with Europeans. Try stopping the European colonization when suddenly 50% or more of your entire tribal confederacy is suffering from smallpox. Yeah, not gonna happen. They also almost certainly did see it as a problem, and those who didn't see European colonization as a problem quickly changed their tune as the Europeans grew more and more aggressive and expansionary.

If they could have stopped them, I'm almost positive they would have, because the end result of European immigration/invasion/colonization into the Americas was the genocide of countless indigenous tribes and the destruction of their culture and identity.

In case you didn't realize, Aexodus was talking about indigenous peoples, and not "native" colonists who'd been living in America for a century or two. So if you were confused about that point, I guess I can forgive the wildly ignorant claim that the Natives could have stopped European colonization/immigration or didn't see it as a problem.
    Actually if the colony was quite new, despite heavily reduced numbers there would have been a good possibility that an indigenous tribe or state could destroy it especially if it was nomadic. Take for example the Mapuche who through a series of revolts over the 16th to early 19th centuries managed to destroy seven major Spanish outposts in Chile multiple times from a period from 1598 to the mid 17th centuries, halting the Spanish conquest of Araucania and the Mapuche managed to retain their independence until the mid to late 19th century when Argentina and Chile managed to conquer the Mapuche and the rest of Patagonia.

Also I think you're overestimating the role of superior European technology had in the conquest of the Americas, gunpowder weapons and horses especially during the 15th to early 17th centuries were often in short supply. Arqubuses and cavalry often made great psychological weapons at first due to their noise but over time the natives would gradually develop new tactics to deal and would get used to them, allowing the natives to easily counteract them. By around the mid 17th to 18th centuries, indigenous tribes all over the Americas were using metal tools, lots of guns and horses completely transforming their entire lifestyle and methods of warfare. The Spanish often had to rely on local infighting and tens or even hundreds of thousands of native auxilaries and sometimes an absurd amount of luck to conquer the Aztecs, the Incan Empire and other indigenous civilisations.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by joethepro36 View Post
    Only within reason, laws have to be respected at some level in society or you have a breakdown of society. Having the odd joint is against the law in many places and that's reasonable to subvert, but to physically harm others or steal is a clear example of overstepping. Even if we go down to a purely civil matter such as not paying taxes, the law must be enforced to ensure the stability of society. What gets me is how you're unable to understand the nuance of this and have to jump to making nazi comparisons, it speaks volumes about your perception of what are otherwise complex issues.
    What speaks volumes is that you don't understand how our society works. First off the US accepts less proportional immigrants and refugees than the UK does by almost 50%, Second the US's legal immigration waitlist for most countries (and we sort it by country which means some have no waitlist) is up to 22 years preventing anyone from legally migrating no matter what the circumstances, Third immigrants in the US pay taxes and especially undocumented ones use almost no social welfare whatsoever.

In terms of border enforcement, civil disobedience or not, the borders need to be enforced to stop a floodgates opening type situation. As it stands, if there were only a few border jumpers it wouldn't be such an issue. Instead the number has crept up to the point where there are millions of "undocumented" (illegal) migrants residing in the states. Even what are seen as unfair laws are often in place to do as we say in Britain, prevent people from taking the piss.
    There is no floodgates situation, there are not a higher number of undocumented migrants living in the US than most western countries, in fact there's far fewer.

https://immigration.procon.org/view....ourceID=005235

There's about the same as elsewhere, except that we have significantly more harmful laws:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...countries.html

Ultimately, undocumented immigrants qualify for no state aid, they work for jobs which are automatically assessed taxes because it provides the businesses which hire them plausible deniability (businesses are culpable for paying immigrants under the table) allowing them to hire immigrants with impunity. They pay billions of dollars in taxes and see none of it back.

What speaks volumes is that you don't understand how our society works. First off the US accepts less proportional immigrants and refugees than the UK does by almost 50%, Second the US's legal immigration waitlist for most countries (and we sort it by country which means some have no waitlist) is up to 22 years preventing anyone from legally migrating no matter what the circumstances, Third immigrants in the US pay taxes and especially undocumented ones use almost no social welfare whatsoever.
    I also think the UK accepts far, far too many migrants as is. That the USA accepts proportionally less does not necessarily make it a-okay. A country is not obligated to let anyone in.

As for your last line in bold:
    In post #414:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15622566
    Refugees cost more than they provide for the USA.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...llion-annuall/

The National Academies found that first-generation immigrants (who were born outside of the United States) cost governments more money than the native-born population. The costs are largely taken on by state and local governments that educate the immigrants’ children.

But members of the second generation "are among the strongest economic and fiscal contributors in the U.S. population," the report said, with tax contributions greater than their parents and the native-born population.
    It is not a clear cut situation of immigrants being a net benefit to the country economically. It takes a lot of time for a newly arrived citizen to contribute. Many of the sources I checked out other than that posted share the same conclusion that working out the precise costs of illegal migration or immigration in general is extremely difficult. As such it is inappropriate for either of us to make sweeping assertions about the costs or benefits of migration in the USA.

There is no floodgates situation, there are not a higher number of undocumented migrants living in the US than most western countries, in fact there's far fewer.

https://immigration.procon.org/view....ourceID=005235
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From your own source^. I see you're regressed into lie mode now, why debate when you can just blatantly lie about everything? This is your own source. Did you read it? Did you look at it? This is at the top of it.
    Step it up mate, if this is not a simple mistake its arguing in extremely bad faith.

There's about the same as elsewhere, except that we have significantly more harmful laws:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...countries.html

Ultimately, undocumented immigrants qualify for no state aid, they work for jobs which are automatically assessed taxes because it provides the businesses which hire them plausible deniability (businesses are culpable for paying immigrants under the table) allowing them to hire immigrants with impunity. They pay billions of dollars in taxes and see none of it back.

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fi...mmigration.pdf

Again you're asserting that migration is universally an economic benefit when the reality is more complex and difficult to measure. I'm not going to assert migrants are universally bad because that's out of line from what the evidence holds in the same way seeing it as a universal positive is.

The available estimates of the budgetary impact of unauthorizedimmigrants vary greatly in their timing andscope. Most of the studies that include both revenues andcosts for multiple programs show that state and local governmentsspend more on unauthorized immigrants thanthey collect in revenues from that population. Forexample:B Recent estimates indicate that annual costs for unauthorizedimmigrants in Colorado were between$217 million and $225 million for education, Medicaid,and corrections.42 By comparison, taxes collectedfrom unauthorized immigrants at both the state andlocal levels amounted to an estimated $159 million to$194 million annually.43
    B The Iowa Legislative Services Agency reported that theestimated 70,000 unauthorized immigrants in thestate paid between $45.5 million and $70.9 million instate income and sales taxes in fiscal year 2004.44 Thereport did not quantify the costs of providing specificservices to unauthorized immigrants. Rather, it estimatedan average benefit of $1,534 per state residentbased on total spending from the state’s general fundand the number of state residents (including unauthorizedimmigrants). Using that average benefit calculation,the estimated cost for providing all services tounauthorized immigrants was $107.4 million in fiscalyear 2004.
    In 2006, the Missouri Budget Project estimated thatunauthorized immigrants paid between $29 millionand $57 million in state income, property, and excisetaxes.45 That organization estimated that the statespent between $17.5 million and $32.6 million toprovide elementary and secondary education forbetween 5,800 and 10,833 unauthorized immigrants.Local districts incurred between $26.5 million and$49.3 million in additional costs for educationalservices.
    The New Mexico Fiscal Policy Project estimated thatthe state collects about $69 million annually in individualincome, property, and sales taxes from unauthorizedimmigrants, about $1 million to $2 millionmore annually than it spends on public elementaryand secondary education for children who are unauthorizedimmigrants
    This is why I made comments about you not understanding nuance in all of this. The situation is not a black white one, but a complex one with many grey areas. For example even with the variety of data that points to conclusions in all directions, we have not even discussed social issues or integration of immigrants in a cultural sense.

What speaks volumes is that you don't understand how our society works. ...undocumented ones use almost no social welfare whatsoever.....Ultimately, undocumented immigrants qualify for no state aid
    All forms of public assistance count. Benefits obtained through loopholes also count. Benefits for their kids definitely count.

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    All forms of public assistance count. Benefits obtained through loopholes also count. Benefits for their kids definitely count.
    They also pay taxes.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    They also pay taxes.
    Illegal immigrants are criminals, so I don't see how they can pay taxes!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    How do you figure they get around sales tax?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Patrician Citizen

Income tax is also automatically deducted, anyone who doesn't pay it is an immediate target for ICE because it's like advertising you've hired undocumented knowingly.

They pay social security taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, etc. They do it, the income and social security part, through getting an individual taxpayer identification number from the IRS. They were estimated to contribute about 12 billion dollars a year a few years ago.
    The Armenian Issue

They pay taxes, but they also reaps in tons of benefits, in the name of their children, and they usually have a lot of children. According to articles I gleamed over, taxes they pay ranged from 11 to 22 billion/year, but the benefit their children receive ( welfare, education and medical ) from both Federal and State range from 11 to 80 billion/year.

As posted above with evidence to support in my post conveniently ignored, first gen immigrants cost more than they pay in while 2nd gen are usually strong contributors.

As posted above with evidence to support in my post conveniently ignored, first gen immigrants cost more than they pay in while 2nd gen are usually strong contributors.
    Well you cant get the greater beneficial 2nd gen immigrants without the 1st generational wave of immigrants

But lets face it ,generally most people who object to immigrants arriving at their country are perhaps not looking though tons of facts to justify whether they are "beneficial" to there society , but object on simple grounds of not wanting "different" people into their communities , due to their colour or their religion . A lot of people who have lived in a society without change for generations , do not wish to see change , particularly of newcomers to their community , and as such, I fear such people are not "racists" but rather people in fear of change of new things and people.

I also think that we are starting to veer off topic to the main subject, which is about children separation and immigration , which is a issue that many countries are having to face in this day and age. Immigration is always going to happen , particularly to successful states, and such a thing cannot really be stopped , only limited and has happened to our people [humanity] throughout history , as seen even in the ancient roman empire days.

I do hope that America , which is suffering from a form of xenophobia , particularly in areas of central America , which haven't seen much change in decades ,for they have been fed particularly fear mongering news , [particularly from the right] exaggerating matters and stirring the issue for there own benefit [political power] and also economic issues . Such a stirring of this most toxic of pots , can have serious side effects , as people cling to these toxic issues, bringing them out in there day to day lives . My hope is that America which has always been the most innovative of countries , can adapt to immigration in a way , that perhaps most of there people can be happy with ,rather than shutting borders[looking backwards] whilst looking at ways to improve there economical status . This is perhaps only alternative to such issues , and the alternative is the hardening of views, of attitudes , and such views , will inevitably lead to conflict , between rural and urban populations.
    Last edited by paladinbob123; July 23, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
    "War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Patrician Citizen

I don't usually argue CBO because most of the time their rough estimates are solid but they performed pretty bad estimates, you can read your quotes why and if it doesn't stand out to you then lol. For example, taking benefits averaged per person and estimating cost based on number of estimated undocumented immigrants. benefits are not used homogenously, that's a stupid method.

Here's a real study:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w23498

Total taxes paid by immigrants in 2017 was between 13-21 billion depending on how you estimate it which is approximately 8-15% of their total income, and another 13 billion in social security taxes. By contrast total taxes paid by the wealthiest 1% was just 5.4% of their income.

Furthermore about 500 billion in economic activity is generated by the undocumented immigrants per year:
    https://www.nber.org/papers/w22102

In fact you see a 1.15% GDP growth for every million immigrants taken in by the US
    https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/gdp

Also, as far as your response earlier about me "lying", let's review, germany for example took 1.4 million for their 65 million population in 2014, they have almost 0 illegal immigration. That's proportionally 6-8x more immigrants than the US takes.

Russia on the other hand takes in about 1.5 million in the same year, for their 145 million population, they have an 8-12% illegal immigration rate and they want more immigrants (Russian economic theory states more immigrants = more money which has proven true). The US by contrast takes almost no legal migrants, we have a relatively nominal level of illegal migration and that is entirely based on some of the harshest immigration laws in the world.

Also, as far as your response earlier about me "lying", let's review, germany for example took 1.4 million for their 65 million population in 2014, they have almost 0 illegal immigration. That's proportionally 6-8x more immigrants than the US takes.
    I believe the population of Germany is closer to 80 million.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The US by contrast takes almost no legal migrants, we have a relatively nominal level of illegal migration and that is entirely based on some of the harshest immigration laws in the world.
    You have a fifth of all the worlds legal migrants.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Patrician Citizen

The US takes a million a year since 2000, of that approximately 600,000 are those currently already here who have changed their status limiting it to 400,000. I'm not sure what your point is about legal migrants.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Well you seem to be trying to say that America doesn’t take in that many/enough migrants per year. In 2017, by contrast, the US had a larger net migration rate than both Russia and Germany combined.

https://www.indexmundi.com/germany/n...tion_rate.html
    https://www.indexmundi.com/russia/ne...tion_rate.html
    https://www.indexmundi.com/united_st...tion_rate.html
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Well you seem to be trying to say that America doesn’t take in that many/enough migrants per year. In 2017, by contrast, the US had a larger net migration rate than both Russia and Germany combined.

https://www.indexmundi.com/germany/n...tion_rate.html
    https://www.indexmundi.com/russia/ne...tion_rate.html
    https://www.indexmundi.com/united_st...tion_rate.html
    I'd question some of those statistics:

https://knoema.com/atlas/Germany/top...migration-rate

https://knoema.com/atlas/United-Stat...migration-rate

The US rate seems right but for Germany which indicates germany had 123,000 migrants last year which is ridiculous. They had about 435,000 migrants.
    Last edited by Elfdude; July 23, 2018 at 02:48 PM.