Thread: Into Bretagne

Default Into Bretagne

Alan Ar Du, as he is known in the native tongue, has finally returned to the land of his birth. Though hopefully not for long.
    From Caen he first rides to the castle of his father, Eudon Penteur, whose domains lie to the west of Rennes, along the northern coast, and requests an audience.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Into Bretagne

He is admitted into a large antechamber where Eodon was giving audience. He looks and frowns slightly when his sons name was announced.

"Alan what brings you back to Brittany?" He asks, "I had thought you were going to England with William de Normandy."

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    He is admitted into a large antechamber where Eodon was giving audience. He looks and frowns slightly when his sons name was announced.

"Alan what brings you back to Brittany?" He asks, "I had thought you were going to England with William de Normandy."
    "Father, William is dead. Another has usurped his throne."

Replied Alan. In his absence he'd gained a few scars, and had turned from a green boy into a warrior hardened by multiple battles against the Saxons.

"I've been sent by our cousin, Richard, who claims the English crown as his father's heir."

The mans eyes raise slightly, "So the Conqueror is dead before his conquest could be secured, and his eldest son by the sound of it. His heir was Robert was it not?" He pauses and shakes his head slightly, "It is now matter. So what brings you back home son?"

"My stay shall, unfortunately, only be brief. I have come on behalf of Richard to request support. I know we did much for William, father, but his son needs us more than he ever did."

Alan grimaced. He'd only return to England in victory.

Base chance 10/20 +5 for family relations -3 for recent support 12/20 chance
    1-8 failure 9-20 success.
    Roll 15

The man strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Very well my son once more I will give William's kin my aid."
    Last edited by Trot; June 16, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

Following his meeting with his father, Alan travelled to the ducal court to arrange a meeting with Hoel of Brittany.

He is allowed in to meet with the Duke.

Alan bowed before the Duke obsequiously.

"Lord Duke, I come on behalf of King Richard of England, seeking an alliance. Perhaps one that can be sealed by marriage."

The Duke of Brittany raises an eyebrow at this, "An alliance with Richard de Normandy?" He chuckles, "I hear another is claiming the title of the King of England though. One who actually controls the land. What would this alliance you propose entail, and how would I benefit." The man was skeptical it seemed. Alan would need to do much more to convince him an alliance was in his interests.

"I can offer you a marriage alliance. Our king himself is unwed, as are his sisters. My lord can promise you great wealth once has recovered his patrimony, as fitting reward for your loyal friendship."

Alan very much doubted that the Breton Duke would even accept a marriage, let alone send soldiers. So he elected not to ask.

Chance 0/20 +5 for the offer of marriage -3 for the assassination of the previous Duke by William chance 2/20

1-18 failure
    19-20 sucess

Roll 18

The Breton Duke looks at the man thoughtfully for a few minutes. "No we will not give William's kin our aid no matter what promises of wealth are made."

Alan simply excused himself and left, riding back to Normandy to deliver the news to Mortain.