Thread: How to Enable Immortal Generals

Default How to Enable Immortal Generals

I want to them to be immortal to natural causes but still vulnerable to everything else. How do I make this modification? Any help would be appreciated! Sorry if this question was asked before, but I did a lot of googling and found nothing.

Default Re: How to Enable Immortal Generals

There's no specific function for an immortal trait like with RTW: Alexander, but in descr_campaign_db there's a max_age, max_age_before_death, and old_age, which you can raise to all be well above 100 years. In BOTET we currently have them at 150, 165, and 120, respectively.

Depending on the turns per year for your mod, that could make them last effectively all campaign unless they die of unnatural causes, like in BOTET we have it 12 turns per year, so even the oldest characters at game start wouldn't start dying of old age until 60 years in, which is 720+ turns, and past our current campaign end date.
    But if the mod is only 1 turn per year, then 200 turns into a campaign you probably wouldn't have anyone from the start still alive.

Yeah, the irony is you can preserve generals from non-natural death, boosting their protection against assassination, even battle wounds via traits, and using the invulnerable_general/vulnerable general commands when you know their names.(Only in battle)

But to preserve them from age, you have no choice but taking the descr_campaign lines mentioned above to a crazy number, depending on your campaign time frame, and it apply to every characters without possibility to change it during the game.

Thanks, Now can you change the age of already existing generals? Either with cheats or without them?

You would like to advance the age of your generals supposed to die in a human time frame to simulate a shorter life spawn ? I like it but no, there are no command to change the age of characters that I know of.
    However, even if there was, it would likely require to know the full internal character name like the move command, send_off_map, kill, ect...
    Speaking of the latter, you could try killing them once they reach a certain age in the console if you are that determined, with the console_command kill_character. But you might find it's tedious after a while, and if it's part of a larger modding you plan to share someday, so could players?
    But I can't think of a other option? Still you gave me a other idea for a different thing, so, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by selv View Post
    You would like to advance the age of your generals supposed to die in a human time frame to simulate a shorter life spawn ?
    No I want to make them younger lol, not kill them but I think there is a "Cheat" to kill units in battle. What idea did I give you?

Also how does the game decide which general is going to die? So I have two 60 year old generals: my faction leader and Francisco De Montejo; if I don't do anything Montejo will die, if I move Montejo my faction leader will die even if I move him as well; if I do a suicidal spy mission same thing. And where is this "success probability" located?

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfshutze View Post
    No I want to make them younger lol, not kill them but I think there is a "Cheat" to kill units in battle. What idea did I give you?
    Oh, well I guessed backward. There is a command to kill units yeah, and a other for characters on the strat map. Anyway I just have a bunch of old starting characters, which die very quickly while some lived around 20 years more after the start date, according to history. I am still unsure of gameplay details for this but I think I will make them younger( in descr_strat, around 40 rather than 60) for gameplay reasons, then kill them by script around their recorded death date, depending on other conditions.

Also how does the game decide which general is going to die? So I have two 60 year old generals: my faction leader and Francisco De Montejo; if I don't do anything Montejo will die, if I move Montejo my faction leader will die even if I move him as well; if I do a suicidal spy mission same thing. And where is this "success probability" located?
    It's random. A old character will die , then if you reload your game before it happen he might live a few more turns while a other might die sooner and so on. I vaguely remember the popes from vanilla that sometimes reached their nineties that way...
    These random chances are hardcoded I think, or I never came across them in the files.

Thanks, Now can you change the age of already existing generals? Either with cheats or without them?
    In descr_strat, just lower their starting ages. It won't be save game compatible. Also make sure they're still old enough to have fathered any children they have in the family tree.

In the descr_campaign_db file I mentioned, there's a chance of death every turn once a character reaches the old_age value, and then if they make it to max_age the chance shoots way up, and finally max_age_before_death is a hard cap, or very close to it, so if a character reaches that, they'll almost certainly die the next turn.
    So like I said, if you raise those numbers, then you'll have generals living much longer.

The base success probabilities for agents are also in descr_campaign_db, but they're also modified by traits and ancillaries giving more agent skill.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    So like I said, if you raise those numbers, then you'll have generals living much longer.
    And I did raise them on descr_campaign_db, however at this point I am curious what events trigger a natural causes death or other things. I experimented with doing unrelated things and instead of my Faction leader becoming cruel leader and Montejo dying, he got mining expertise and Cortez I think got architect, (but he wasn't anywhere near a city.) It doesn't seem to be completely random even though it doesn't all make sense in human logic. So my question is what is the algorithm? Once you reach old_age, max_age and max_age_before_death what determines the chances? Because a spy mission etc. could give you a few more turns or result in the death of another general.

So with man of the hour generals or the ones randomly offered to you at the beginning of some turns, you are screwed? Because I wanted to make them go from 50 to 20 the same way you can modify traits and ancillaries.

So my question is what is the algorithm? Once you reach old_age, max_age and max_age_before_death what determines the chances? Because a spy mission etc. could give you a few more turns or result in the death of another general.
    I f there is a algorithm, it is likely buried within the exe/hardcode. Like I said, reloading a save and changing your actions will change the chances, whether it is for the natural death of a general or the success of a spy/assassin mission, even the success chances of a auto_resolved battles.

So with man of the hour generals or the ones randomly offered to you at the beginning of some turns, you are screwed? Because I wanted to make them go from 50 to 20 the same way you can modify traits and ancillaries.
    You mean making them younger again? Age is not a attribute, so you can't change it with traits or ancillaries. No scripting command that I know of either.

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Quote Originally Posted by WhiffOfGrapeshot View Post
    There's no specific function for an immortal trait like with RTW: Alexander, but in descr_campaign_db there's a max_age, max_age_before_death, and old_age, which you can raise to all be well above 100 years. In BOTET we currently have them at 150, 165, and 120, respectively.
    Is there a limit to these values ? I mean, can you raise it up to 450, 500 and 400 ? Or the game will crash ?