Thread: Question about seabattle

Foederatus

Default Question about seabattle

Hi there,
    I've wondered why we have now 1 landtroop spread out on 3 ships simultaneously. Never seen this before in a mod. The problem is that we lose actually a great deal of control in the seabattle, because we can only select and attack 1 ship out of the 3, the other 2 are just ignored. This leads to great chaos and does not feel immersive.

So my question is: why? And: will this be changed in the future?

Default Re: Question about seabattle

I think immersion was the original motivation for this feature. Its functionality in practice can be called into question. Since it is a creative decision, it warrants a discussion. I'd like to hear what people think before possibly changing the feature. Myself, I haven't played a single naval battle in the mod (sad), so my thoughts would be futile.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Only transports should have 3 ships per unit, due to how Attila pulls the ships back from the shore after disembarking you need to cut down the amount of men per ship so that half the unit doesn't jump into the depths of the sea.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Only transports should have 3 ships per unit, due to how Attila pulls the ships back from the shore after disembarking you need to cut down the amount of men per ship so that half the unit doesn't jump into the depths of the sea.
    Interesting, I see.

I had yesterday a battle (Myra/Cilicia; Seleukids attacking Egypt). On that map the enemy came with one landarmy and one fleet of landtroops reinforcements. The battle lastet at least 2 hours (!) realtime. The reason for it was that the enemy fleet could not properly land its troops. Dozens of ships tried to land for 2 hours (!) their troops and blocked each other on the sea and shore, what a mess of clutter. Some ships were travelling halfsunken in the ground ON the landmap, with troops on it that could not leave the ships. Its obviously that the AI cannot handle that at all and creates huge cluttering, all boats becoming wedged.

On another occasion I attacked with a landarmy a city from the seaside. My troops could not land properly in the harbor because of the AI creating a mess on sea and shore. There was also a situation were a Phalanx could not land because the 4 ships the single Phalanx was boarding had only 3 landing spaces in the harbor available. Such troops can never land, it stops any given order.

This solution is unfortunately not workling properly (as much as I like the idea of it, very creative indeed), but it breaks any seabattle, it breaks any landing operation. It makes troops uncontrollable in seabattle and not available on land when they should.

Please: I prefer to lose sometimes a part of buggy troops jumping into the seashore when landing (I've seen that happening, but not so often, maybe map related?), then experiencing this mess that sabotages the battles on sea AND on land (if sea forces are involved) with certainity each time. Thanks for your highly appreciated work on this great mod!

I agree with the above. Just my opinion here, I think this is not going to work. The coastal battles are a mess right now, the AI is not capable of landing these units. I hope there are contingency plans for reverting back to more vanilla operations.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by swissdragon View Post
    Interesting, I see.

On another occasion I attacked with a landarmy a city from the seaside. My troops could not land properly in the harbor because of the AI creating a mess on sea and shore. There was also a situation were a Phalanx could not land because the 4 ships the single Phalanx was boarding had only 3 landing spaces in the harbor available. Such troops can never land, it stops any given order.

Perhaps you should have been landing your army on a beach instead of at the docks?

Foederatus

Icon7 Re: Question about seabattle

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Perhaps you should have been landing your army on a beach instead of at the docks?
    Of course I could do that but I choose another tactical approach: A surprise attack from the sea on the harbor, neglecting the strong wall defenses at once. And this should be possible, it always was doable before.
    Its obviously a bug so I'm reporting this. This said, even the normal beachlandings have huge problems in no time with wedged ships all over the place, as I described. It happens regularly in my campaigns.