Thread: Edmund Godwinson's Estates

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative
    Gaming Staff

Default Edmund Godwinson's Estates

The House of Godwin was an upstart latecomer to English politics. Its progenitor was Godwin of Wessex, the son of a Sussex thegn by the name of Wulfnoth Cild who collaborated with the regime of Sweyn Forkbeard and Canute following the defeat of the House of Wessex at Danish hands. With their patronage, Godwin gained great power and wealth, becoming Earl of Wessex in four years and marrying Canute's sister-in-law Githa Thorkilsdottir, with whom he had many sons and only slightly fewer daughters. And all it took for Godwin was...to repeatedly betray and undercut the House of Wessex's efforts at restoring itself, including deceiving Edward the Confessor's brother Alfred into torture and an early grave. Even after engineering the Confessor's enthronement, he feuded with the ancient line of Cerdic, spearheading opposition to the growth of Norman influence at court and ultimately getting himself exiled for a time. After his death, his second son Harold succeeded him as Earl of Wessex was elected King of England ahead of both William the Bastard, Duke of Normandy and Edgar Atheling, the last living male representative of the House of Wessex after the Confessor.

Of course, then Harold went on to fight both Harald Hardrada of Norway and William of Normandy for the throne, and while he defeated the former he didn't have the strength to vanquish the latter. Following his death and the deaths of his brothers at Hastings, Godwinson's family fled into exile. His eldest sons by his common-law wife Edith Swan-neck, twins Godwin and Edmund, are old enough to plot their return to their father's throne, however...and Edmund, though a man fairly moderate in temperament who is more sanguine and less warlike than his father, still staunchly believes his family better deserves to rule than either the foreign Norman invaders or the Atheling, for what is birthright compared to the merit proven by his father's valor and energy in trying to oppose two simultaneous invasions of their fair isle?

After a two-year struggle, the Saxons succeeded in killing William at great cost to themselves, and were reconciled with his successor - not one of his children, but rather Edgar the Atheling, a fellow Saxon and most unexpected heir to the throne of England. Edmund was among them, and secured some land in Norfolk (one half of the earldom of East Anglia, previously held by his uncle Gyrth who was the middle Godwinson child) as a consequence of his bending the knee to the new King of the English.

Household
    Edmund Haroldson Godwinson

Spouse: N/A
    Traits: 6 pts
    +2 Charisma
    +2 Survival
    +1 Battles
    +1 Personal Combat

Temperaments:
    - Upbeat: Nothing seems to get this character down. They're perpetually smiling and looking on the bright side of even the darkest developments, truly the kind of optimism that can be infectious...or delusional, if the situation is bad enough. +1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding).

Provinces
    Norfolk
    Freebridge/King’s Lynn/Castle Rising - Prosperous Income
    Docking - Prosperous Income
    Walsingham/Gresham/Baconsthorpe - Prosperous Income
    Erpingham - Prosperous Income

Total income: 1,400

Levies & retinue
    Levy
    4 provinces x 100 men = 400 men (max potential)

Godwinson retinue composition: 10 knights/huscarls, 15 serjeants/thegns, 20 fyrdmen, 20 english footmen, 20 english archers, 15 hobelars

Buildings
    WIP
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; Yesterday at 10:13 PM.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Edmund Godwinson's Estates

Godwin Haroldson arrived to see his brother, Edmund.

Gaming Staff

Godwin finds his brother loitering outside the Norfolk estate and watching the sunset in an unusually somber state, for their grandmother Gytha Thorkilsdottir had shaken off her mortal coil early this year.

Godwin rode forwards, accompanied by a number of Huscarls. The elder Haroldson had grown ever more paranoid in Norman England, believing that going around without significant protection was a foolish choice. He Dismounted, handed his horse to a retainer and moved towards his brother, and placed a hand on his shoulder. Nothing needed to be said about their grandmother, they were close enough to understand each other intrinsically. "Our sister is to marry, as am I. Osulf's children." Godwin removed his hand and stared off at the sunset. "We Saxons must be united. I forsee the day when we will be able to drive the Normans from our shores."

Gaming Staff

"If the Normans don't come to kick Edgar out and strike at us first." Edmund said, glancing at his twin. He suspected that Edgar's ascension was a last resort of the Norman commanders following the Bastard's death, not something they had planned or foreseen ahead of time - that must have been as shocking a swerve as their father invading Normandy to install himself as its duke, only to die and be replaced by one of William's brats at the hour of his triumph. "But yes, I agree. Whether in times of peace or trouble, us Saxons presenting a unified front can't hurt, and I wish you and Gytha both joy and many children. I've been looking for a bride of good-and-proper English stock from my new lands, myself."

"Only a handful of lords followed Marten, I think the Normans we should fear are the ones we are trapped with here, not the die hard brother of a slain conqueror." Godwinson paused, stopping to look at his brother, before turning his eyes back to the sunset. "Thank you, Edmund. I wish you luck in your search." Godwin hooked a thumb through his belt, and stroked his moustache with the other hand. "I'm not happy about Morcar, Edmund, he was one of us, and a great warrior to boot."

Gaming Staff

"Neither am I," Edmund confessed, shaking his head. "I told him the truth, at least, before Bamburgh could treacherously seize him or cut him down. He deserved that much for his work in staving off the Conqueror, and keeping England free from total Norman subjugation. He didn't take it nearly as well as I'd dared to hope, but at least I and Northampton were able to keep his head on his shoulders when Bamburgh's man did strike him." The younger twin sighed. "But, Edgar had been very insistent on Morcar's removal. I don't know if there existed personal animosity between the two or whether the Norman lords had demanded it of him as a condition for their fealty, but he was immovable on this subject. And Morcar himself did admit we had no hope of victory after York and his brother's demise..."

"We could have fought at Stamford, as Marten intended to do. The Normans would have been mad enough to attack us over that crossing." Godwin felt strongly about the subject still, and a part of him still longed for blood. For Norman blood. "Osulf will bear watching, father in law or not. I won't obey him, Edmund, he provides strength, but we must lead our fellows now." Godwin paused, he was still unsure of his opinions of their new King. "The chance to cripple the Normans will come yet, Edmund, and we must be ready for it."

Gaming Staff

"You're right, they would have been mad to try after the hiding you gave Marten. So they'd probably have rested on their laurels at York, cutting you off from the rest of the North, and waited for you to come to them, or crossed elsewhere to circumvent you." Edmund replied. An odd change of places - now Godwin was the twin advocating probably-doomed action, while he was the one throwing pessimistic shade upon it, at least this once. "I'm not sure how receptive the northern earls will be to the notion of our leadership considering how much vaster their lands are than ours, but I'm with you nonetheless. Just send me word if anything of import should come up, brother." Edmund stretched and turned away from the sun, now little more than a thin blip of orange on the darkened horizon. "Though whatever the Normans across the Channel and here might be planning, I do hope Edgar manages to stay alive and on that throne for a few years at least. After all that riding, I could really use some rest." The familiar easy grin reformed itself on his lips.

Godwin grunted with ill humour. He knew that, he just wanted to believe there had been a better option. Still, the young Ealderman glanced at his brother. "You leave that t me, I'll think of something." Truth be told, Godwin already had an idea, and it was the reason he has wedded Ardith in the manner of the Saxons and the Danes. "Perhaps, Edmund, you ought to forget about the local girls and marry the King's Sister."

Gaming Staff

"I've considered that." Edmund replied, nodding as he propped himself up against a tree. "But even I don't have high hopes of such a union being permitted, and I'd rather live in my new hall than on the run after attempting elopement. Edgar's going to guard that sister of his as fiercely as the sons of Jacob guarded theirs, and marrying her to one of us would be almost as mad a prospect as marrying her to one of the Bastard's sons. There's still far too much bad blood between we Godwiningas and the Cerdicingas." Now he shook his head and crossed his arms atop his chest. It hadn't even been half a decade since Harold Godwinson was crowned ahead of Edgar, and if his reaction to Morcar was any indication, this wasn't a man who forgot such slights (to understate it) lightly. He may have allowed Harold's sons to live and even govern estates in his new order, but Edgar was not likely to give either of them a chance to claim his throne through his sister; even asking would paint a target on their backs and engender suspicion.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A letter arrives from Osulf Uthredsson, inviting the presence of Edmund Haroldson to the residence of Waltheof. The purpose of this invitation would be known upon his arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "I've considered that." Edmund replied, nodding as he propped himself up against a tree. "But even I don't have high hopes of such a union being permitted, and I'd rather live in my new hall than on the run after attempting elopement. Edgar's going to guard that sister of his as fiercely as the sons of Jacob guarded theirs, and marrying her to one of us would be almost as mad a prospect as marrying her to one of the Bastard's sons. There's still far too much bad blood between we Godwiningas and the Cerdicingas." Now he shook his head and crossed his arms atop his chest. It hadn't even been half a decade since Harold Godwinson was crowned ahead of Edgar, and if his reaction to Morcar was any indication, this wasn't a man who forgot such slights (to understate it) lightly. He may have allowed Harold's sons to live and even govern estates in his new order, but Edgar was not likely to give either of them a chance to claim his throne through his sister; even asking would paint a target on their backs and engender suspicion.
    Godwin shrugged. "I think I will go to court and attempt to befriend him - he is far more likely to restore part of our inheritance if we are close." The unsaid truth was that if it came to blows between Saxon and Norman, Godwin wanted to be close enough to the King to ensure he would land on the side of the Saxons.

Gaming Staff

"Sounds like a plan." Edmund replied, nodding. Even if a Cerdicing-Godwining marriage was unlikely unless Edgar had completely taken leave of his senses, it couldn't hurt to try to rebuild relations between the two houses, especially if it meant that such a marriage might become possible in the next generation when the grudges of this one and the one before it had mended. "I will also have to visit him soon, to ask for Father's body. We should see him buried at his birthplace, if we can, and build a church there too. I'd be more than happy to split the cost with you." The Wessex town where Harold Godwinson was born and raised, where he met the true love of his life in Edith Swan-neck and where his children by her were born would make a far more fitting resting place for the deceased defender of English shores than any mass grave atop Caldbec Hill or by the Channel where the Normans probably left him, of that Edmund was certain.