Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Meh, they almost dynamited their chances to go through the group.

England is (and always has been) a team of great "complimentary" players. They are not flashy, stylish, nor or they methodically technical, they are just solid. Result, a "Good" team that will play solid football. They are never going "wow" you.

Let's face it, that group could be renamed Belgium sparing partners with England being the one to be final "tester" before they face a real challenge. (For the record the best squad was in 1990, oh what a waste..apologies for the salt Brits).

I actually think they have a really good team this year, but I'd never bet on them anyway. The team with Lampard/Beckham/Owen etc was pretty good as well, they achieved nothing.

My god Portugal played horribly.

Witch only underlines how magnificent CR7 is...

It is sad, i think the team has players and collective to be much more capable then what they are showing.
    Fernando Santos wasn't great either. In my mind.

i don't think it was so much Portugal looking bad as it was Morocco playing very well. Ronaldo was marked out of the game for long stretches. It is almost cruel that they are out. If you don't score, you cannot win.

Generally, the more games the more time that teams with strong on paper teams have to shine. Any professional athlete can have a great game, but 'star" players have them more consistently. It is normal for players to appear ordinary. it something that happens more often than you think but over a course of a long season it is not easily observed. When there are limited number of games, it becomes amplified. Portugal didn't have a "bad" game, they just played an ordinary game.

In my opinion it was expected much more from Portugal, ( at least i was expecting it, given the players they have, i think they have better players overall then they had in 2016) They couldn't even make two passes in a row. Couldn't even make a proper build up play.

Yes i know Morocco played very well. They did the same against Iran. It wasn't surprising for me at least. The point is that given, the quality players Portugal has ( not just Ronaldo), more is to be expected from them

Bernardo Silva, Joăo Moutinho, Joăo mario, Guerreiro, or William, even Guedes are capable of much more then what they are showing. I know this players very well, following their carrers from some time.

I know the style of the manager is not on Build up plays, but still. I do know we have a team for that if they wanted to.

Basically they have very interesting players, but the collective isn't just functioning as it should.

Iran next wont be easy as well. They almost draw with Spain.

I would probably play with Manuel Fernandes instead of Moutinho. And would swtich Guedes for Andre Silva or Bruno fernandes. On the lelft i wouldnt mind having gelson martins instead of Joăo Mario, or even Guedes witch the wings is more of his natural position, then a striker.

But all that is meaningless if they cant do at least two passes play.

Also defense doesn't look as solid as it once was.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 20, 2018 at 07:48 PM.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is it wrong that I want Germany and Russia to meet each other? Would be awesome if the could play in Stalingrad.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    Is it wrong that I want Germany and Russia to meet each other? Would be awesome if the could play in Stalingrad.
    Here take my Rep sir.

Island is the champion of my heart though.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 22, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Germany lost their first match but this will only motivate them to go all the way to the final, where they meet Brasil. And Brasil takes their revenge and win the World Cup 2018

If they both make it out of their group, then they will have to finish in different places or else they will play in the next round (of 16).

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    If they both make it out of their group, then they will have to finish in different places or else they will play in the next round (of 16).
    Indeed.
    Brazil is not a serious team though. Too much ''talk'' with no results.

PS
    I feel sorry for Island. Sometimes it feels like I have Viking blood or something.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Indeed.
    Brazil is not a serious team though. Too much ''talk'' with no results.
    They are very entertaining though, with their childish nicknames. Also, in 2014, they even had a Simpsons character on the field.

PS
    I feel sorry for Island. Sometimes it feels like I have Viking blood or something.
    Hardly surprising though - Iceland vs Nigeria is the most demographically imbalanced matchup of the series. Even taking into account poor organization etc., it would have been a disgrace for Nigeria to lose that one, given the difference in the respective sizes of talent pools.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    They are very entertaining though, with their childish nicknames. Also, in 2014, they even had a Simpsons character on the field.

Lol which one ?

Hardly surprising though - Iceland vs Nigeria is the most demographically imbalanced matchup of the series. Even taking into account poor organization etc., it would have been a disgrace for Nigeria to lose that one, given the difference in the respective sizes of talent pools.
    Agreed. Island is too likeable though. Mostly for their attitude and fighting spirit.

Not really. If this was the case, then India, China and the US would simply dominate all sports.

They are a number of different issues
    -Wealth (Money) Plus it isn't just wealth of the nation, but how well the sport s financially supported
    -Cultural Tradition (Is it a culturally preferred sport?)
    -Past success (Have they had success in the sports which promotes development?)
    -Organisation (somewhat related to the other three, e.g. training, coaching, scouting, etc...).
    -Infrastructure

If you look at the countries with the most success, they have many of the above in their favor.

The population can be a factor, but not absolute population. Population includes young, the old, and woman as well. In Nigeria's case very young population. You can have a look here (Iceland) and here (Nigeria)

Nigeria beating Iceland is probably the best result Argentina could get, so they can still hope to make it through the group.

And Pike, really good post, I agree with you, but I'd a bit of luck as the final component. Sometimes, some countries get a really good generation of players (eg Belgium now) and overperform, sometimes country with all the factors you list get a bad generation and they underperform (Netherlands, even Italy to some degree).

Germany playing Turkish style today. Bit of a nail-biter for the fans...

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    Not really.
    Really really, actually. For an independent country, Iceland has a puny population, there's only so much you can get out of that. Even compared to places like Belgium or Norway, they are a very small nation.

If this was the case, then India, China and the US would simply dominate all sports.
    You're presenting my argument as much more simple than it actually was. Also, Chinese and Indians have a default disadvantage in most sports because of their unimpressive average body size. Most Nigerians and other sub-Saharans aren't huge either (in contrast to popular perception, I think), but they're about average height.

They are a number of different issues
    -Wealth (Money) Plus it isn't just wealth of the nation, but how well the sport s financially supported
    -Cultural Tradition (Is it a culturally preferred sport?)
    -Past success (Have they had success in the sports which promotes development?)
    -Organisation (somewhat related to the other three, e.g. training, coaching, scouting, etc...).
    -Infrastructure

If you look at the countries with the most success, they have many of the above in their favor.

The population can be a factor, but not absolute population. Population includes young, the old, and woman as well. In Nigeria's case very young population. You can have a look here (Iceland) and here (Nigeria)
    I am very conscious of all those factors, that's why I posted in the first place.

You're presenting my argument as much more simple than it actually was. Also, Chinese and Indians have a default disadvantage in most sports because of their unimpressive average body size. Most Nigerians and other sub-Saharans aren't huge either (in contrast to popular perception, I think), but they're about average height.
    I am confused now. You claim I am simplifying the argument and then you present a simplified argument.

Really really, actually. For an independent country, Iceland has a puny population, there's only so much you can get out of that. Even compared to places like Belgium or Norway, they are a very small nation.
    As I noted, yes and no. Population size could be factor assuming other factors are at least equal.

I am very conscious of all those factors, that's why I posted in the first place.
    You made the remark about population has a significant factor which it isn't. There are a number of other factors in which I did not list them all.

If no one is following me... consider New Zeland in rugby and cricket.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Germans doing German things.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Russia is suspected of doping
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

that was...too close. me, i need all the drinks.