Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: WORLD CUP: Russia 2018 Commentary Thread

Apart from Neymar's ridiculous scene on the side of the field, great match from Brazil. Mexico didn't stand a chance at any time during the match (if I'm not mistaken they had only one shot on goal, which was easy for Alisson to defend). Too bad we won't have Casemiro for the match against Belgium, he would be more necessary than ever. Thiago Silva seems to be hurt in his torso as well, from that foul the Mexican made on him. There was a point in the match that the Mexicans lost their temper and just went for the fouls. Good thing Brazil kept cool.

By the way, the Mexican player did intentionally step on Neymar's ankle (where he had the injury that took him off football for 3 months). He exaggerared it, of course, but still a lack of sportsmanship from the Mexican as well.

I guess you all just consider Brazil a "unlikeable" team because it routinely beat your own national teams. Certainly wasn't this match that gave you this impression. I thought Mexico was much more unlikeable. Their players and managers made provocative statements before the match and their fans kept cheering "olé" when they were just passing the ball on the defense. How silly. In the end they didn't even shot on goal. Not to mention that "puto" yell.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 02, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    If you watched the qualifiers and the friendlies before the tournament, Spain looked mighty.They slaughtered Argentina 6-1. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

(They did however draw 3-3 against Russia a few months ago).
    Yes with a team like that... it would be a scandal to not dominate the european qualifiers. And friendlies as far im concerned doesn't really count. and i mean its not really a measure of a team worth, if you go by the results on friendlies.

Look im probably Bias, but im not and was never really impressed with Lopetegui. His only experience in training a club was in F.C. Porto ( quite unsuccessful i might add) he didn't resonate with porto fans as well on the account of his lack of purpose football ( a ticky tacka form without depth and porpuse) and excessive player rotation.... as well the bad managing of some players ( like Quaresma wich he dismiss out of the team for free...) also considering he had the most Expensive Roster in the History of the club. A team lacking direction is a trait of lopetegui football. He often made substitutions before the first half was ended in Porto... for example.

So yes in my book not a good manager at all. ( of course it is easier to look good with top notch teams, like the Spanish national team, and now Real Madrid.)

Other than that He did managed U21 Spain, and now The A team.

But i guess time will tell. Personally i wish him all the best, and hope he has improved. Because so far im not really that impressed.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 02, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Apart from Neymar's ridiculous scene on the side of the field, great match from Brazil. Mexico didn't stand a chance at any time during the match (if I'm not mistaken they had only one shot on goal, which was easy for Alisson to defend). Too bad we won't have Casemiro for the match against Belgium, he would be more necessary than ever. Thiago Silva seems to be hurt in his torso as well, from that foul the Mexican made on him. There was a point in the match that the Mexicans lost their temper and just went for the fouls. Good thing Brazil kept cool.

By the way, the Mexican player did intentionally step on Neymar's ankle (where he had the injury that took him off football for 3 months). He exaggerared it, of course, but still a lack of sportsmanship from the Mexican as well.

I guess you all just consider Brazil a "unlikeable" team because he routinely beat your own national teams. Certainly wasn't this match that gave you this impression. I thought Mexico was much more unlikeable. Their players and managers made provocative statements before the match and their fans kept cheering "olé" when they were just passing the ball on the defense. How silly. In the end they didn't even shot on goal. Not to mention that "puto" yell.
    I completely disagree. Mexico had plenty of chances to score. There was a particular time when Lozano (I believe) cut in and had a chance to shoot on goal, but opted to pass to the center where are of the Brazilians were defending. There were also poor touches and poor decisions made in the attacking third that led to a lack of shots.

Neymar was stomped. I am surprised it did not at least receive a caution. It was more cynical than violent conduct. I wish FIFA would do what the NFL does, fine players for the play acting like little girls and other nonsense.
    Last edited by PikeStance; July 02, 2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔PikeStance♔ View Post
    I completely disagree. Mexico had plenty of chances to score. There was a particular time when Lozano (I believe) cut in and had a chance to shoot on goal, but opted to pass to the center where are of the Brazilians were defending. There were also poor touches and poor decisions made in the attacking third that led to a lack of chances.
    Make up your mind mate . Seriously, a chance for me is a kick in the direction of the goal. If the Brazilian defense stopped the player before he did this (or blocked the shot), it's not a chance.

Apparently the Mexico manager blamed the refereeing for the result today. Pathetic.

I guess you all just consider Brazil a "unlikeable" team because it routinely beat your own national teams.
    7:1

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    7:1
    Too bad Korea sent you home this year, everyone around here wanted a rematch.

Don't forget 2002.

Unless France displayed great matches, Brazil will be the champion clearly.

Too bad Korea sent you home this year, everyone around here wanted a rematch.

Don't forget 2002.
    None of these are equal to losing horribly on home soil. Speaking of Korea, IIRC the 2002 games attracted some accusations of rigging, mostly in favour of the host country.
    Actually, I might've cheered for Brazil this year, if it weren't for their douchy attitude (including the above mentioned nicknames and Neymar being Neymar).

Meh what is the lost of one match in comparison to this...

Make up your mind mate . Seriously, a chance for me is a kick in the direction of the goal. If the Brazilian defense stopped the player before he did this (or blocked the shot), it's not a chance.

Apparently the Mexico manager blamed the refereeing for the result today. Pathetic.
    Mexico didn't stand a chance imo. Brasil looks like more and more a real contender. It would be between them and France most likely.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 02, 2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    None of these are equal to losing horribly on home soil. Speaking of Korea, IIRC the 2002 games attracted some accusations of rigging, mostly in favour of the host country.
    Actually, I might've cheered for Brazil this year, if it weren't for their douchy attitude (including the above mentioned nicknames and Neymar being Neymar).
    That's my question: what douchy attitude? Neymar is a douche and everyone knows that, but the rest of the team has nothing to do with it. They've been playing well and being respectful to their adversaries, not resorting to unfair play or provoking them on interviews. So I don't understand all the hate.

And I was just pointing out that now you have your own "shameful display" to care for. German team performed some horrible football, and wasn't able to pass in a group that shouldn't be a great challenge to them.

Edit: Man, Lukaku looks like an adult among a bunch of kids in the Japanese defense.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 02, 2018 at 01:13 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Brazil are like an old pair of slippers. Comfortable. So far they've raised their game just enough to beat whoever they've played. Be interesting to see if they can keep doing that as the opposition gets better.

Belgium are like a drunken night in Bangkok. Too many unnecessary parts for my liking. I'd love to see Japan score, just to make it interesting. Unfortunately I think they'll run out of steam second half, same as Mexico.

Japan is playing suprisingly well within its limitations. If their player paid more attention to the play he could have scored when Courtois weirdly let go of the ball. Belgium is lacking objectivity and is outnumbered in the midfield. Still, I think it's hard for them to actually lose this.

I meant lack of shots. I am a not a stat whore, so I do not look at that as a definitive marker. Mexico had plenty of quality build-up with unforced errors that led to a lack of SHOTS.

This match just got a lot more interesting.

Blog Entries

Holy balls... !!!!!

Damn, Japan could have scored the third if the assistant didn't signaled that non existant foul on Kompany. Absolutely crazy match.

And now Belgium evens it with FELLAINI. Football is madness.
    Last edited by Macunaíma; July 02, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Loving this japan. Great Match.

Blog Entries

Well, that was a fantastic break from De Bruyne. So hard on the Japanese...

Japs got too careless. Did they actually thought they would score in a corner against a team that has double their height? Should have held the ball until extra time.

The second half was one of best in the championship so far. Good football and suspense as both teams had a chance at win. Such a pity that one had to go...

Neymar should be removed from championship though. His behaviour is nothing short of disgrace.