Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Three Kingdoms Video Thread

Default Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Video Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    It is the next major historical Total War game.
    We've already been through this several times. You're in very deep denial. This is clearly a fantasy game and you're just denying the light of the sun here.

Just because there are two modes and one has fantasy elements doesn't make it not the next major historical title.
    Actually, it does. Fantasy elements like magic spells automatically make a game fantasy.

I've never heard of CA talking about this game not having magic. So, you gotta show how they stubbornly repeated that there was no magic.
    CA didn't really make contradicting statements on whether you play as only a character or as a faction. In the interview they talk about how the game is character centric, not that its an only-RPG game now.
    4:07 - 4:16 "But that's the key, you don't pick a faction, you pick a character. That's the key, you pick the Cao Cao and then that's who you're playing as."
    13:36 "There's no magic."

I'm wondering, why are you throwing so many lies to accuse CA of lying?
    I'm wondering, why are you throwing so many lies to falsely accuse me of lying and cover up CA's proven lies? I'm also wondering, why are you hunting my posts? What's the matter? You can't handle the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    We've already been through this several times. You're in very deep denial. This is clearly a fantasy game and you're just denying the light of the sun here.
    It's a fact that this is the next major historical title no matter how much you try to twist reality.

Actually, it does. Fantasy elements like magic spells automatically make a game fantasy.
    For the romance part, maybe, not for the classical part.

4:07 - 4:16 "But that's the key, you don't pick a faction, you pick a character. That's the key, you pick the Cao Cao and then that's who you're playing as."
    Right before that: "Like you said, 11 factions, 11 playable factions." You do pick a faction but its much more character centric. This doesn't mean you won't have an additional army controlled by Cao Cao's son, or his uncle governing a particular city under your control. These are very basic things that most people don't really think twice about explaining to an average person.

Oh wow, you must have found the only reference to magic they make but their explanation does make sense. There is no magic of the kind we saw in Warhammer. It's normal acts that are magnified by the common folks, like Sun Ren's snipe ability (Heart Seeker). So, that is still true.

I'm wondering, why are you throwing so many lies to falsely accuse me of lying and cover up CA's proven lies? I'm also wondering, why are you hunting my posts? What's the matter? You can't handle the truth?
    I didn't lie at all which is evident from the fact that you provided no substance in this post to highlight and refute them. You have lied on the other hand. You're merely trying to cloud facts to create things to argue against.
    The Armenian Issue

Senator

Every right to be mad at CA especially in terms of decision choices for R2 - understand that. But this is not right to just complain on every damn mechanic of the game that's not been released yet! Three Kingdoms is just a Shogun 2 style game!
    People said the same for R2....."it's going to change","it's alpha","you have to wait"Bla bla bla.....and what happened?The release was a train wreck.I tire of people who try to hype up everything just becasue CA once made good games.I'm going to judge what they show us not what they may show us in a few months.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

So these latest news have confirmed two old lies and revealed a new third lie as well.
    Can you show me where they are saying that the trailer is from Classic mode? They are all the time clearly saying that it is from Romance mode. You are making assumptions and making fake news Nothing else. You can think whatever you want abour Romance mode but until we see Classic one, we donīt know and you as well.

Lie number 1: CA has been insistently advertising this game as "the next major historical TW game" since the announcement trailer.
    So Shogun 2 is also not historical title right?

Lie number 3: CA said in an interview that we will not play as a faction, but as a character. But at the latest event they told the TW youtubers that we will not play as a single character, but as his clan, which includes his bloodline and children as well. That is a faction. These statements can't both be true, one of them is false. Time will tell which one. And by the way, apparently both statements were miraculously made by the same person. Who, by the way, had also lied to us about Rome 2 before its release as well. Interesting how life often repeats itself, huh?

And to the people who wonder about the negative feedback: you reap what you sow. CA is lying to us and shows footage of a really badly designed game with cartoony animations, magic abilities, arcade mechanics, extremely fast battles and so many more. Seriously, how did you expect people to react? Even though Rome 2 has come a really long way by now, its release state has left a sour taste to many TW players, which apparently has not gone away yet for many of them. And the awful way CA is handling the whole three kingdoms project so far doesn't help at all either.

What you consider cartoonish I consider very nice colour palette. FINALLY! CA learned how to use colors! Shogun 2 had nice Japan feeling, Napoleon,Attila quite grim, Warhammer are bloody and dark..

Whatīs your problem with characters? Look at Warhammer 2, faction = Legendary Lord, main character, main protagonist of that faction. You will have family tree with other members, getting new people in by birth, adoptions, marriage plus you will have social system will all other characters in the world. I donīt see problem in that. Look at Shogun 2, Empire....each faction has a leader, king, daimyo... For the first time we are getting some kind of characterīs interaction and consequences. Faction after all is nothing more than a lot commoners plus a few leaders/generals/rulers and their families..

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas
    ...Now we have official gameplay showing characters with magic abilities (like casting an AOE explosion). Magic is what really defines fantasy and separates it from fiction, so even if these abilities are not there in the classic mode this is still mainly a fantasy game, as the fantasy mode is the big focus (of both the game and the marketing) and the default campaign. First old lie confirmed.
    Lie number 2: CA has been stubbornly repeating over and over since the announcement trailer that there will be no magic in this game. They were very insistent on that and repeated it several times. They specifically said that we will not see Zhuge Liang casting fireballs. But now we've seen Sun Ren casting AOE explosions. If that's not magic, what is? Second old lie confirmed.
    What is ingame difference between Naval Bombardment in FotS and similar "magic spells" in Warhammer? In game representation it is the same thing. It doesnīt matter if my Grenadiers are throwing grenates or Skaven Poison Wind Globadiers are throwing poison warp magic stuff. Fantasy is just enhanced real stuff. More options, not limited by nature, thatīs it. Formations like testudo granting different bonuses, abilities like Banzai... heck generalīs are having magical inspire abilities as long as I remember. These are okay? Or they are okay because we pretend that general can with one sentence rally his troops but cannot do the same with magical spell casted by saying a few words? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    People said the same for R2....."it's going to change","it's alpha","you have to wait"Bla bla bla.....and what happened?The release was a train wreck.I tire of people who try to hype up everything just becasue CA once made good games.I'm going to judge what they show us not what they may show us in a few months.
    We are just waiting to see the Classic mode. So far they are clearly showing Romance mode but for example we know nothing about province system. Is it R2/attila/Wh or more like ToB? We donīt know. We just learned about social system, espionage and how they are handling characters because thatīs important part. And showing it in Romance mode makes sense as in this mode Characters arenot just focus but enhanced as well. Do I like that there is no naval combat? No, and I donīt expect that to change. However textures, animations, units are usually little different in final version and thatīs part IīM expecting to change!
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 18, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Outside of the music sounding good for once( really don't think it's beddow since the composition and percussion sounds far stronger then what he usually does) the combat between units looks like ass and the voice acting is starting to sound worse, really think it is lame how they are all speaking English in comparison to Shogun where they spoke fitting Japanese. This outdated engine keeps showing it's age with how boring and weightless the combat looks and this is supposed to be the over the top "Romance mode" so that does not bode well for how dull the "Classic mode" is going to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Also this, apologists are literally repeating themselves here. It's gotten far too old.

Oh wow, you must have found the only reference to magic they make but their explanation does make sense. There is no magic of the kind we saw in Warhammer. It's normal acts that are magnified by the common folks, like Sun Ren's snipe ability (Heart Seeker). So, that is still true.

Well this looks like magic to me , along with telekinesis too

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by kelembribor21 View Post

Yes I saw this and quite agree, it's like Warhammer. The "Romance" version of 3K is going to be based in a major way on the 3K fable but this Total War game goes beyond Romance even with these heroes, to attract the Dynasty Warriors fans of 3K "lore." That leaves the "Classic" version for us to ponder, but we haven't seen any gameplay for that. In other words, I haven't seen anything yet to interest me in TW:3K and I'm a huge historical TW fan. Those martial arts duels are a complete turnoff.
    Last edited by Huberto; August 18, 2018 at 04:33 PM.

That's the Heart Seeker ability specific to Sun Ren. How is this any different from the many abilities generals always had in the past games? It's not magic when a general has the ability to direct his speech capabilities to a single unit affecting their morale only, but it's magic when a general uses his or her bow and arrow to target a specific target and deal a lot of damage? What Sun Ren can do is less magicky.
    The Armenian Issue

That's the Heart Seeker ability specific to Sun Ren. How is this any different from the many abilities generals always had in the past games? It's not magic when a general has the ability to direct his speech capabilities to a single unit affecting their morale only, but it's magic when a general uses his or her bow and arrow to target a specific target and deal a lot of damage? What Sun Ren can do is less magicky.
    If image of 4 magical light beams that fly to the opponent and then explode, while bow isn't even in hand looks real to You then please pass what You're smoking dude.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Yup exactly. Generals shooting enemy character is bad but unit throwing grenates on enemy unit is no problem. The same with generalīs inspire/rally. It is still the same if it is just ability or spell. One is natural, second supernatural but result is the same no matter what you think..

If image of 4 magical light beams that fly to the opponent and then explode, while bow isn't even in hand looks real to You then please pass what You're smoking dude.
    It's as real as whats been considered OK in the previous titles. The fact that the animation requires some tweaking doesn't change that.
    The Armenian Issue

It's a fact that this is the next major historical title
    For the romance part, maybe, not for the classical part.
    Right before that: "Like you said, 11 factions, 11 playable factions." You do pick a faction but its much more character centric. This doesn't mean you won't have an additional army controlled by Cao Cao's son, or his uncle governing a particular city under your control. These are very basic things that most people don't really think twice about explaining to an average person.

"Some people think that denial is just a river in Egypt!"
    ~ Zig Ziglar

It's really pointless to argue with fanatics who deny the light of the sun. So I won't bother further.

no matter how much you try to twist reality
    I didn't lie at all which is evident from the fact that you provided no substance in this post to highlight and refute them. You have lied on the other hand. You're merely trying to cloud facts to create things to argue against.
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
    ~ attributed to Socrates

"Among all people, the most evil and the most deserving of the greatest punishment are those who for what they're guilty of themselves, of these they dare to accuse others."
    ~ Isocrates

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Can you show me where they are saying that the trailer is from Classic mode?
    Which trailer? And who said it's from classic mode? I never did.

They are all the time clearly saying that it is from Romance mode.
    They never said that the "there's no magic" statement is for classic mode. Plus, the romance mode is the default campaign, which means that it defines what this game is. Since the romance mode is evidently fantasy, this is a fantasy game whether you like it or not. That it also offers a "classic mode" on the side is pretty much irrelevant.

You are making assumptions and making fake news Nothing else. You can think whatever you want abour Romance mode but until we see Classic one, we donīt know and you as well.
    Well, it looks like lying and slandering me is very popular among CA's fanatic apologists. I have provided undeniable proof for everything I said, so stop your propaganda. And by the way, slander is not an argument. If anything, it only proves you've already lost the debate and damages your credibility further.

So Shogun 2 is also not historical title right?
    Who cares what Shogun 2 is? Shogun 2 is irrelevant to three kingdoms and this is a three kingdoms thread. Stop trying to create a diversion.

What you consider cartoonish I consider very nice colour palette. FINALLY! CA learned how to use colors! Shogun 2 had nice Japan feeling, Napoleon,Attila quite grim, Warhammer are bloody and dark..
    What does colour palette have to do with unit animations? Nothing. It's completely irrelevent. More diversion, I see.

Whatīs your problem with characters? Look at Warhammer 2, faction = Legendary Lord, main character, main protagonist of that faction. You will have family tree with other members, getting new people in by birth, adoptions, marriage plus you will have social system will all other characters in the world. I donīt see problem in that. Look at Shogun 2, Empire....each faction has a leader, king, daimyo... For the first time we are getting some kind of characterīs interaction and consequences. Faction after all is nothing more than a lot commoners plus a few leaders/generals/rulers and their families..
    Where should I start? The magic spells? The one man armies destroying entire units of hundreds of soldiers? The duels? The lame martial arts animations? This extreme new obsession of CA with character-centrism is very off putting. It doesn't fit TW. And don't start again with the "it's only for romance mode" nonsense. If this was a historical game, there would be no romance mode in the first place.

What is ingame difference between Naval Bombardment in FotS and similar "magic spells" in Warhammer? In game representation it is the same thing. It doesnīt matter if my Grenadiers are throwing grenates or Skaven Poison Wind Globadiers are throwing poison warp magic stuff. Fantasy is just enhanced real stuff. More options, not limited by nature, thatīs it. Formations like testudo granting different bonuses, abilities like Banzai... heck generalīs are having magical inspire abilities as long as I remember. These are okay? Or they are okay because we pretend that general can with one sentence rally his troops but cannot do the same with magical spell casted by saying a few words? ..
    Again, FotS is irrelevant to three kingdoms. I don't take the bait of the diversions, so don't bother. As for warhammer, in case you haven't noticed warhammer is a fantasy game, so its fantasy elements have no place in a historical game. And calling the inspire ability "magical" is just laughable. There's nothing magical about it.

We are just waiting to see the Classic mode. So far they are clearly showing Romance mode but for example we know nothing about province system. Is it R2/attila/Wh or more like ToB? We donīt know. We just learned about social system, espionage and how they are handling characters because thatīs important part. And showing it in Romance mode makes sense as in this mode Characters arenot just focus but enhanced as well. Do I like that there is no naval combat? No, and I donīt expect that to change. However textures, animations, units are usually little different in final version and thatīs part IīM expecting to change!
    Yes, we're still waiting to see footage from the classic mode, which in and by itself is a big statement by CA. The fantasy mode is the big primary focus of this game, that's crystal clear by now. And yet, many people are still in denial about it. And showing it in the romance mode doesn't make any sense whatsoever, because CA is stubbornly advertising this as a historical game. So promoting it with a fantasy mode is not only nonsensical, but also down right false advertising.

"Some people think that denial is just a river in Egypt!"
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    It's really pointless to argue with fanatics who deny the light of the sun. So I won't bother further.
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
    ~ attributed to Socrates
    "Among all people, the most evil and the most deserving of the greatest punishment are those who for what they're guilty of themselves, of these they dare to accuse others."
    ~ Isocrates
    No amount of historical quotes will change your failure with providing and using substance. Try this deflection as much as you want.
    The Armenian Issue

It seems like the only big difference between Classic and Romance mode is the Hero units, no? Seems like otherwise they share most of the same content. If you were marketing the game, wouldn't it make most sense to pull everything from the game mode with all of the flashy new mechanics than the one without? They should show us some gameplay footage from a Classic Mode battle just to put people at ease. But if you replace the hero units with traditional Total War generals, there isn't really anything that fantastical about the actual mechanics of the game, compared to other titles.

The only real thing that bugs me is the animations. The soldiers do really quick attack animations and there doesn't seem to be that many(?) from what I can tell. Its weird considering that everything else about the art design looks good to me and CA usually does a good job with mocap. Part of me thinks they took that old "Why Rome 2 Failed" video to heart, or at least the part about matched combat vs Rome 1's combat system. Because it honestly does remind me of an updated attempt at the simplistic sword swinging animation from Rome. If so, that would be the wrong lesson to learn from that video. The problem with matched combat wasn't the animations.

Which trailer? And who said it's from classic mode? I never did.
    But you are very much acting like all the trailers were from classic mode. Making assumptions, judgement base on different mode. Your so called facts and conclusions are nothing else than your thoughts and fears...but not facts.

They never said that the "there's no magic" statement is for classic mode. Plus, the romance mode is the default campaign, which means that it defines what this game is. Since the romance mode is evidently fantasy, this is a fantasy game whether you like it or not. That it also offers a "classic mode" on the side is pretty much irrelevant.
    Yes they said, no magic wind system like WH and as you claim WH is only fantasy TW around so if things are similar to previous TWs, it is not fantasy. Which mode is default for WH? Vortex? Mortal Empire? Hmmm? Tell me. Honestly donīt know. This is even more distant system. The very same argument you are pushing can be done about romance mode and thatīs it.

Well, it looks like lying and slandering me is very popular among CA's fanatic apologists. I have provided undeniable proof for everything I said, so stop your propaganda. And by the way, slander is not an argument. If anything, it only proves you've already lost the debate and damages your credibility further.
    No,just your opinion and narrative. Proof is video or final game. So we can all judge it firsthand.

Who cares what Shogun 2 is? Shogun 2 is irrelevant to three kingdoms and this is a three kingdoms thread. Stop trying to create a diversion.
    Every TW is rellevant. It is part of TW history and evolution of the game as whole. With such argument you cannot make any comparison with any previous game, not just Shogun 2, Wh but even Rome, Med 2 ...You canīt even say we are missing naval combat if we ar enot counting Shogun 2 /R2/Attila..

What does colour palette have to do with unit animations? Nothing. It's completely irrelevent. More diversion, I see.
    You spoke about cartoonish animations. One part are animations, which we do not know if are final. If yes, then I will agree there are really some not perfect ones. However we do not know that for sure. Second is color palette, which I consider personally really great. Especially night ambush battles was really great in scenical terms. Understand now?

Where should I start? The magic spells? The one man armies destroying entire units of hundreds of soldiers? The duels? The lame martial arts animations? This extreme new obsession of CA with character-centrism is very off putting. It doesn't fit TW. And don't start again with the "it's only for romance mode" nonsense. If this was a historical game, there would be no romance mode in the first place.
    I donīt see any mana system. All I see are activated abilites like in any previous game. Formations (almost any TW), temporary boosts (Banzai Shogun 2), abilities with limited usage (boost for artillery accuracy ala Napoleon, Torpedos in FotS, Naval Bombardment). This game is focused on characters as every other TW has something new of some kind of theme. You donīt have to like it, true,your call but some here disagree. Characters especially generals are key figures in wars,conflicts. Why not try a game with bigger focus on them? People are calling for deeper trait system, praising old Med 2,Rome system so CA is just hearing the call.

In Classic mode both duels and and uber characters are toned down. Your complaints are against Romance mode,got it, speaking nothing about Classic mode. Go back and read stuff, they already said in classic characters are not immortal. And heck even in WH not every character is capable of killing hundrets. Just a few extreme max out characters....If my generals could magically boost number of ammunition of my troops or whatever just due to skill...it is called a game. Putting numbers on technologies, characters, abilities. It is a game. Having new rifle tech adding +1 accuracy is in the same bag as having magic spell adding +1 armor.

Again, FotS is irrelevant to three kingdoms. I don't take the bait of the diversions, so don't bother. As for warhammer, in case you haven't noticed warhammer is a fantasy game, so its fantasy elements have no place in a historical game. And calling the inspire ability "magical" is just laughable. There's nothing magical about it.
    Every TW is rellevant as part of history and TW evolution? Are you just ignorant of things not fitting your narrative or what? So Shogun 2 having fantasy things is not counted althought it is considered to be historical game but we can discuss WH as that is fantasy game?

Ingame representation of inspire ability from any TW is no different to any morale boosting spell. If you cannot see or understand that, you are blind and full of denial yourself. I pretty confident until we got cyborgs no general will turn fleeing soldiers with one hit of button. It is only our reasoning that one thing is real and other is not. Prime example if such bias is Torpedo ability from FotS and Naval Bombardment which is considered to be really "historical".

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 20, 2018 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis42 View Post
    It seems like the only big difference between Classic and Romance mode is the Hero units, no? Seems like otherwise they share most of the same content. If you were marketing the game, wouldn't it make most sense to pull everything from the game mode with all of the flashy new mechanics than the one without? They should show us some gameplay footage from a Classic Mode battle just to put people at ease. But if you replace the hero units with traditional Total War generals, there isn't really anything that fantastical about the actual mechanics of the game, compared to other titles.

The only real thing that bugs me is the animations. The soldiers do really quick attack animations and there doesn't seem to be that many(?) from what I can tell. Its weird considering that everything else about the art design looks good to me and CA usually does a good job with mocap. Part of me thinks they took that old "Why Rome 2 Failed" video to heart, or at least the part about matched combat vs Rome 1's combat system. Because it honestly does remind me of an updated attempt at the simplistic sword swinging animation from Rome. If so, that would be the wrong lesson to learn from that video. The problem with matched combat wasn't the animations.
    They could have shown a classical mode battle but what would that accomplish really? The only difference is how generals operate. The romance mode is an addition on the classical mode. If it was taking out stuff, sure, you'd be right.
    The Armenian Issue

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh and you know what the most fantasy thing in Shogun 2 Fots was? Having battleships accurately determine how to destroy the enemy army by firing bombs into the sky.

*walks away like a badass with bombs exploding behind him*.

By this point it does not even matter if it is fantasy or not, the game is still using the same outdated engine it has been using for almost a decade and it is already showing it's age in the previews with it's crappy combat and weightless feel so no matter what the "classic" mod is just going to be underwhelming as like the previous historical titles.

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    By this point it does not even matter if it is fantasy or not, the game is still using the same outdated engine it has been using for almost a decade and it is already showing it's age in the previews with it's crappy combat and weightless feel so no matter what the "classic" mod is just going to be underwhelming as like the previous historical titles.
    Except engine is now 64bits and many other aspecrs were changes over time. You can easily see it is evolution over time but the same engine? Let me LOL to you sire

But agree that certain areas like physics in battle could be better. However I would prefer evolution instead of revolution. New engine will take another ten years to debug... :/

CA talking Three Kingdoms ambush battles and espionage system:

Want a Front Page Announcement? Here's how to get one!
    Contact the News Team here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast