It is a great surprise to me that up to now no one has ever begun a discussion about this. I am dismayed at the uselessness of the rings of power and the weakness of the role that is given to the One Ring in a campaign called the War of the Ring. I have come up with plenty of ideas to present the community with, although by my own they have all been successfuly implemented already. I just cannot post the new version here for download, but the suggestions must be put forward.

Here is the full list of the changes I planned (and executed):
-The Nazgul each hold one of the Nine Rings of Men
-Sauron holds the Three remaining Dwarven Rings
-Any faction and character is eligible to capture any of the rings of power
-The Three, the Seven and the One give better bonuses to their bearers
-The One is now truly the game's central element, in a number of ways.

Just like Gollum, Ai controlled Sauron has a small chance of capturing the ring every turn. Inferior characters, and largely everyone but Frodo, Sauron and the Nazgul, will continuously lose personality while holding possession of the One: they will grow to be liars, harsh judges and authoritarian rulers, for example, until becoming as wicked as the Darklord.

But the biggest role change regards the power of the ring being unleashed to the full. Only if possessed by very few and specific characters (namely Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman and [bonus] Galadriel) a pop up message will appear to warn everyone. While the two good guys (Gandalf and Galadriel) will steadily lose their good faith and personally be lost to the ring, they can in the meantime totally overpower Sauron and win the game through the easier, though more reckless way. Their bonuses include getting perfect-spy over the map and maximized bodyguards, in both size and experience. Gandalf will destroy Mordor instantly by snatching mastery of the ring from Sauron, while Galadriel will spawn slave-blind worshipping armies wherever she goes around the map. Just a few ideas to you guys.