Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visual image

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Default Visual image

You can post here links and images for banners, symbols, tactics, buildings, weapons, armors, soldiers/warriors.... So we can make some kind of a visual storage room, that can help us in visual segment of the mod.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Visual image

Scottish

Saxon

Frankish

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Irish

Norse

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

These images are very nice and inspiring. I wonder how historically correct they are, though, they all look so colorful...
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

These images are very nice and inspiring. I wonder how historically correct they are, though, they all look so colorful...
    Yeah, and not everybody in Northern Europe wore an unkept beard and sideburns, jeez. Some of the Norse ones look good though.

Anyway, two nice threads from AoVaF:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=54613
    (Faction Symbols, WotN's faction list is quite different but there could still be some ideas, maybe more for the style then the actual image used)

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63025
    (Units for Wessex, Gwynedd, Slavic and Gaelic factions. The model shots for the Gaelic units at the end are particularly useful, ATW used some of them as concepts)

Maybe some of ATW's units could be used for ideas too, I'm not sure which yet. I'll keep looking for more stuff.

Antagonist
    Last edited by Antagonist; January 15, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow.. their mod looks kick ass

We need to show them up

Vikings won't have tight formations... They'll be out of order kinda... Not very orderly...

I can't wait for a 3D modeler to come out... We'll get goin'

Those faction symbols were incredibly nice.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Yea... I'm jealous..

Maybe we can contact the creator of them and get them to do it..

I think both the units and the faction symbols are by ScionTheWorm, who doesn't seem to have been active here for quite a while sadly. He was doing a mod for Mount&Blade I think, but I don't know if that's still going on...

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Maybe we can contact him on .org?

Maybe we can contact him on .org?
    He might have been there more recently then here, you could give it a try PM'ing him or something.

Here's a few concept art images from ATW for Gaelic soldiers (that'd be Munster and Dal Riada in this mod):

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/874...aisbard6wn.jpg (Heavy infantry)
    http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/144/axeman7vw.jpg (light soldier)
    http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7686/curadh1jq.png (spearman)
    http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7...hnaghta2zy.png (champion)
    http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/2245/clubman6pm.jpg (levy)
    (These are all a bit early-dark-age-y; probably a bit too early, but they might give a general idea)

I hope it's okay for me to use these, but I might have to take them down if it's not. The trouble is for that the Gaels in particular there is relatively little from the usual sources of illustration like Osprey etc.

I posted about this mod on their board BTW, hopefully some of them can make a contribution.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Keep 'em comin

Quote Originally Posted by tnick777 View Post
    Vikings won't have tight formations... They'll be out of order kinda... Not very orderly...
    I disagree... the berserkers were probably pretty disorderly, but most of the troops were pretty professional. They used the svinfylking (wedge) and forfex formations as well as the (very important) shield wall (the one the Saxons used in BI, and that one's definitely tight). I also read that Axemen were sometimes guarded by swordsmen because the axemen themselves couldn't carry a shield and so needed protection.
    Last edited by Beiss; January 15, 2007 at 05:39 PM.

I disagree... the berserkers were probably pretty disorderly, but most of the troops were pretty professional. They used the svinfylking (wedge) and forfex formations as well as the (very important) shield wall (the one the Saxons used in BI, and that one's definitely tight). I also read that Axemen were sometimes guarded by swordsmen because the axemen themselves couldn't carry a shield and so needed protection.
    I agree with this too. Most Northern European soldiers in this period would not have been as disciplined as the Roman legions, say, but there are shades of grey between a testudo and formless mob. The benefits of moving in a vauge formation and putting similarly armed troops together are pretty rudimentary ideas, not some brilliant stroke of civilization. Shield-walls and such are pretty common in this era it is generally agreed, and they're not just a Norse/Germanic thing either, definately used in Britain and Ireland and I'm sure other parts of the map also.

Still, maybe they could be made to look a bit less precise in their formation when they're not in shieldwall or something, and there would probably be some units (especially peasants and levies, and maybe some "barbaric" units like berserkers) who wouldn't be organised much or fight very cohesively.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Is it possible to have both axemen and swordsmen in the same unit?

I wish it was possible to have soliders of different height in the same unit too, CA were talking so much about how they had done away with clone soldiers but they're still all the same size. Not something we can fix though.

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Guys, guys, guys, this is NOT, I repeat NOT a DEBATING post, but a VISUAL one. GRAPHICS and CONCEPTS only, plz

It will get preety messy if we just start and continue debates in every thread, btw there is UNITS thread to speak about units, you know

Keep on track or I may have to start exersizing my modding abilities (cough delete post cough)

lets see some images

I don't mind discussion but I want images to out number debate 2:1 at least

You started it.

I know I did... hahahaha

I don't care if there's discussion but don't lead the thread astray and before we know it we're 8 pages into it talking about Mexican Ninjas attacking Brittish Tea Ships off the coast of South Africa

I spent most my evening finding faciton symbols.. Hopefully that will be over soon.. I want to get as much done as possible before the 3D modeler comes out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast