Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamentations of the Flame Princess: Interest thread

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Lamentations of the Flame Princess: Interest thread

There's healing without clerics in the rules, but it's done out of combat via resting. I can probably just arbitrarily give small HP boosts or let your character have ways to try and deal with injuries, broken things, etc. I think much of the game will play out with a lot of arbitrary hacking on my part to make the rules fit the world and setting. That said, Perry, if you want to propose an idea for a non-human character, to use one of the non-human classes, feel free.

More on the setting, in regards to character creation:
    The setting's culture will be not be clearly delineated in different kingdoms/realms with seemingly homogeneous populations that are completely different from their neighbors. Instead it will take after the Witcher's Northern Kingdoms, none of which seem to have any particular medieval European culture as a basis. Of course, there's an overlaying Slavic umbrella to the Witcher, but there are plenty of French, German, and English words and names and concepts throughout the universe that seemingly just exist alongside each other. This is how I'll approach this world - that is to say, different peoples do have different cultures, languages, etc., but I like the 'cosmopolitan' approach to the world, where ethnic and cultural differences are glossed over at most (at least, within the setting's main region). The world feels much more interrelated this way, and the lack of nationalism is better displayed when fiefdoms and domains are without obvious cultural borders. This instead puts emphasis on the individual, society itself, and political machinations - and removes the distraction of ethnic narratives.

In true medieval fashion, a lot of the goings-on and happenings of the world will be understood as the actions/consequences of powerful individuals (nobles, monarchs, etc) rather than the actions of states or kingdoms. 'England didn't invade Scotland; the Longshanks invaded Scotland.' Thus, a lot of the fleshing out and hints about the world will mention figures such as kings, princes, lords, priests, etc., and their actions as it relates to whatever is currently being discussed or explained.

Names for your characters: Generic European names are just fine, from most periods. Take anything from French, German, English, Italian, Spanish, or even some Western Slavic languages etc. Modern, or otherwise. You can do the generic "of 'place'" for surnames if you like, or come up with your own surnames.

Addy, Pink, and Perry: You should come up with character concepts now. Not character sheets with stats - just concepts. What kind of character do you want to RP? I would like this to be RP heavy - the RP will matter more than the LotFP's mechanics. Where is your character from, what kind of person are they, their name, etc. I recommend making characters with only marginal experience as mercenaries and fighters, because you do start at level 1. You can also come up with placenames and what not if you like, but I will be intervening as I see fit.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; June 12, 2018 at 08:13 PM.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Bernard Barrau/de Barrau. Born to a barber/emergency doctor? in a small village. He learns all what his father can teach him and is set for a quiet life but is invaded by a strong impulse, something greater than him urges him to leave his hometown, to explore and feel the chaos of life. He joins a mercenary company which suits his skills and good physique, there he learns the basics of combat.

He is a quiet person, introverted and thoughtful but also detached and somewhat selfish. His aims are unclear, but wants to see different things and to live different lives.

Never been good or liked to write bios, but lemme know if this works or not

That's pretty good right there, to be honest. All you need is a basis of personality from which you can roleplay your character. Looks pretty good, but I'd also recommend really thinking about it for a while, as it'll be a while before we play anyway. As long as it's a character you feel good about and want to roleplay.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Yeah I just grabbed this http://www.soulcraft.co/essays/the_1...rchetypes.html and picked the "explorer" archetype, considering I'm not a very creative individual, I'm just glad to have something to base my character decisions on, of course this will develop over the game I guess.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So I’m confused about what level of low fantasy this is. Is it low fantasy because it’s not in our world or? Like do any traditional monsterous creatures exist, did they exist at one time, but are on the brink of extinction or fully extinct? If you’re open to non-humans did there races develop concurrently with humans, or were they overshadows by rapid human development?

If no one makes a non-human player character, I won't have any non-humans in the world, most likely. There will however be monsters in a folklorish nature that sort of make up part of the wildlife - again, like the Witcher - and things like curses and hexes are much more real. Witches and sorcerers do exist, but no fireballs or thunderbolts.

I do want to play a nonhuman, but thanks to the Elven class being dedicated casters (and the setting calling for limited magic), I think a Dwarf is a more workable option. Unless you want to allow me to play an elf that is separate from its racial class, and just uses one of the human classes.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; June 12, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

None of the magic spells are fireballs or thunderbolts, and the elf class is a fighter/magic-user hybrid. I suppose you could use the other classes too.

Fair enough on the first front, though in my defense I thought you meant you were cutting back the spell list (which has stuff like magic missiles at low levels and polymorph at mid levels, I didn’t know you strictly meant those spells and other more damage/AOE driven spells) to fit a more low fantasy vibe. True enough, I might be able to make an elf class work, I’ll have to try to come up with something compelling to pitch though - for both the character and the people.

I don't have any plans to cut out any of the spells yet. For now you can assume they're all on the table, though feel free to ask me about them.

As for elves and dwarves, etc, I guess we can just take the Witcher model in that regard - though I will recommend using the same kinds of names as humans, as I like the idea that culture isn't tied to ethnicity (or only marginally so).

What are you thinking of, Addy?

Will do, would you like their names to be slightly different, or do you want nonhumam culture to have been a part of/absorb by this homogenous human culture?

Just conceptualize names as being based on regional origin/dialect, mostly. I'm fine with really any European names, I think.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

I'll be going human fighter, most likely. Just need to get some inspiration on their personality and background
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

How do those interested feel about the system? Is it the setting that interests you, rather than the system?

How would you feel about switching to a system that might better suit the setting, such as A Song of Ice and Fire by Green Ronin? ASOIAF by Green Ronin, by default, orients player characters as members of a noble household, but works well with a medieval world even if you don't use that format (would probably work well as a mercenary company, as it does allow you to lead armies too). This would *mostly* cut out magic, but that's how I feel about magic anyway so..

How do you all feel?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12