Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Discrimination

I have come to notice recently with the influx of muslim-related threads in the Mudpit that the right-sided of the debate are being discriminated upon by the average member right up to the highest authorities that inhabit these forums.

I have repeatedly been told in the past after being suspended and warned for idiotic reasons, to report when people troll me or someone else, report innappropriate posts, spam and so forth and that it would be dealt with.

In my eyes, and those of several others in the same boat as i, this is not being done.

Civitate status seems to be blindly given to anyone left sided in origin, the ratio is horrendous - there is only what, 1 or 2 civs or above that i know of that are not in the "bash the 'neocons'" bandwagon. As a result the odds are highly stacked against us and our abilities to make a decent debate in numerous threads are hampered.

I myself have been victim of countless 'liberal gangbangs', ive tried fighting back; got put on the verge of permabannings twice as a result. I've done what moderators have told me, report offensive posts and so forth; nothing has changed thus resulting a resurgence of my intolerance for other people here as i get more and more frustrated "swimming against the tide".

Several names pop up everytime when im involved in these 'arguments', few if any at all have recieved substantial warnings and/or suspensions for their continuing attacks on the rightsided (or as erik calls us, the "neocons").
    hell erik even admitted in a thread he posts irritating things to make me mad - is that not troll/flame/borderline troll/flame/enciting troll/flame/whatever other 'reasons' you have for suspending..?

Ive asked this before and ill ask it again moderators; if your not going to let us have our say, at least be consistent and not let the other side have their say either.
    Last edited by Carach; January 14, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Default Re: Discrimination

My political leanings are distinctly right-wing, I can tell you, as are Fabolous'. Then again, neither of us visits the Mudpit or Ethos, I don't think (well, I don't). Farnan is definitely right-wing, and he does visit the Mudpit and Ethos.

Certainly people are frequently moderated for saying impolite things about an entire ethnic or religious group, though, and that's something conservatives are generally more likely to do. I'm not sure that constitutes bias.

Edit: I've reviewed the last ten infractions given for politically-oriented discussion. Three seemed liberal, seven (five distinct users) seemed conservative. Draw what conclusions you will.
    Last edited by Simetrical; January 14, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

If there is a propensity amongst a certain group of posters to break the TWC forum rules or ToS then yes they will get moderated more. There is a higher level of flames and ad hominem attacks that originate from that side of the fence and it has nothing to do with disliking the arguements.

Peter

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

You should have been here in the good 'ol days Carach. Us neocons weren't very well respected at all!

Maybe I'll try to get voted in as a moderator sometime and then we'll have a not-so-left sided mod!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

i agree. Ive been called a dog before for saying that the burka was wrong. I have also seen carach ganged on before. I feel for him.
    Last edited by Lavastein; January 14, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

i agree with you they re are definately liberal tendencies in this forum u can see it in the posts

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    You should have been here in the good 'ol days Carach. Us neocons weren't very well respected at all!

Maybe I'll try to get voted in as a moderator sometime and then we'll have a not-so-left sided mod!
    Not so left as Farnan? See, the thing is as Seneca puts it. If one side trangresses the rules more, one side gets punished more, no? The tendency is there but, as exemplified by members like Mudd, Rahl, Oldgamer, is not universal. Looking outside yourself for the blame may be looking in the wrong direction, Carach.

So what if (a big if) there are more liberals on the forums that is not how a moderator moderates posts.

Peter

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Same as in real life Carach.

Lefto-pinko PC humanitarian rose-coloured glasses-wearing do-gooders are everywhere waiting to point the finger and use their limited vocabulary

"Racist" "bigot" "anti-muslim" "hater" "fascist"

It's just life. Just make sure you have your stash of weapons when the **** hits the fan. The pinkos don't have a hope in hell

I can assure you that there is no discrimination against anybody but those who break the ToS. I really don't think our moderators are biased enough to hand out warnings to only one side of the bunch.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

There is no bias in the modding in the Political Mudpit.

Farnan
    Resident Right-Wing TD Mod.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lavastein View Post
    Ive been called a dog before for saying that the burka was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
    "Racist" "bigot" "anti-muslim" "hater" "fascist"
    Any of those (save perhaps "anti-Muslim") would be grounds for an immediate caution or warning. If you see any such namecalling, please report it.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

All reports and warings/cautions are logged individually in the Staff Forum. Each is open to view (I regularly look at them, for example). Some reports I agree with, others I do not.

I know that Sim also checks these things, Fab too - we have the occasional debate over some infractions. I think we are more consistent now than we have been since I started. Of course, there is nothing to stop anyone goign to the Tribunal.

Evariste's Avatar We are one, we are many

I agree with the sentiments of Seneca, Simetrical Mudd, and others.

While all moderators have their own biases, it does not necessarily reflect in their moderation. I know of no one who only hands out cautions and warnings to people that disagree with them politically.

It's simple, really. Say something against the ToS, and action will be taken against you.

Politically speaking, though, I reside in neither the left nor the right wing...

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Perhaps we need quotas for civvies; leftists and rightists?

"Discrimination", bah humbug! Typical minority talk, Carach. Always trying to blame the majority for your difficulties...
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Well... I don't think there is a bias. There does seem to be more left-wingers here, and that is why someone might feel "ganged up" on, certainly many of our more numerous posters are left leaning (I'm looking at you tGS). Partly because of that difference in numbers, there is probably more left-leaning mods, but again, I haven't seen instances of bias.

Is there more of a tendacy of right wingers to break the rules? Perhaps. I haven't noticed it, but I haven't been looking.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

It's very pleasent that the Hex feels the need to present their political credentials to rebut Carach. Probably they should also state that they were never members of the Communist party. It worked with McCarthy.

Did Carach get his warnings for his political opinions? If he thinks so, there is the tribunal.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

I am now admitting I was once a member of a Communist Party, but only because I took the wrong turn, stopped to ask someone to use the phone, but they wouldn't let me leave the party so I had to stay for a while...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Once you join the Glorious revolution you can never leave!

Forward for the glorious benefit of making better lack of discrimination while maintaining good respect for peoples honour!!!!!

Peter

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

I have not seen much(if at all) discrimination in the forums, but then again I have not been most active member for a while now.

However, there is no need for moderators to be sarcastic and create an enviorement where unpleasant issues are made something to laugh at, rather then focus in the issues and concentrate how to improve them.
    Under Patronage of Sřren and member of S.I.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast