Thread: Immersion: History and Bending It - Charlemagne

Default Immersion: History and Bending It - Charlemagne

Total War Attila: Charlemagne has been very fun and quite fulfilling. Reading the history in Cambridge Medieval History has been very fun! I love Total War games precisely because they get me to explore dimensions of history. The New Cambridge Medieval History volume 2 has a great chapter on the Lombards written by some guy probably named Paolo Delugu. The fun thing is - Charlemagne ate up the Lombards (under King Desiderius) pretty soon after the game is supposed to have begun. In my case though, playing in Hard difficulty, I have managed to not only hold the Franks off, but even gobbled up significant territories.

I can try and show you some screenshots, but most of these are in local library. But right now beyond Lombardy generals are in Chur and Grenoble. They have even revived some of the older duchies – Duchy of Alemannia and Duchy of Burgundy comes to mind.

Over time my strategy would be to consolidate my gains and slowly disadvantage Francia, I mean Kingdom of Charlemagne, in a systematic manner. It is still loads of fun, but I do have some fear it might bore up. My handicap with current laptop in a way helps.

I have still not gone into all out war with the Franks. I am still maintaining armies in my Eastern and Southern frontier. Significant ones too. I have a very healthy treasury income. Need to keep it fun but at the same time intimidate.

I have during play lost some generals such as Rathori and Zwentibold - in some cases due to my own foolishness. It was not easy but the thing is, these mistakes are what make it fun.

I will try posting some photos and descriptions while enjoying the game, hopefully. I am not a power player, I use Total War - LOL - as a meditation tool and history reading aide.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Immersion: History and Bending It - Charlemagne

Hi, MonwarH, and welcome to the Writers' Study!

I hope you'll continue with this. This is a very interesting start, but I'd like to know more - at the moment I have only the vaguest idea of which territories you hold, what state your empire is in, who opposes you, whether you have any allies... so it would be good to hear more.

I also hope you'll find things here by other people that you'll enjoy reading (or watching). There's plenty to choose from!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact any member of Writers' Study staff. We are: Alwyn (he's the Director), me, theSilentKiller, Axis Sunsoar and Darkan. Or you can post questions on the Writers' Study Chat Thread, or start a new thread in the Writers' Lounge. The people who post in the Writers' Study are generally very helpful, in my experience.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Welcome to TWC and to the Writers' Study! I enjoy the connections (and contrasts) between events in Total War games and real history too. Like Caillagh, I'd like to know more about your nation, it foes and its strategies.

It sounds like you're worried about people being bored. You could think about what interests you in your campaign, and write an AAR which has those features. For example, you could focus on the links to real historical characters and events, and the strategic choices your characters face, if that's what interests you the most. An AAR doesn't need to comment on every battle or every turn with the same level of detail. Like a film director, an AAR writer can speed up and slow down time - you could spend several chapters covering an important battle (or a single day, week or month) in detail and then tell the story of the next 20 turns of the campaign in a single paragraph, if that works for the AAR you want to create.

You have my attention. I hope you can write an AAR or share some screenies with such updates? I would love to follow your campaign! The reason you like total war is interesting- lol meditation tool. Anyway I will wait and hope you will post soon.
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR