Thread: New Challenge for Veteran Player

Default New Challenge for Veteran Player

Hi everyone! I am thinking of starting a new campaign soon and I am hoping to ramp up the difficulty. I always play on VH/N settings and tend to play Rome/Successor factions (Makedon, Eprius and Seleukids are my favorites).

So what are the submobs, roleplay limits, factions etc. that people use to make for a more historically accurate and challenging campaign. I would like to try something that makes for a more challenging game without imposing arbitrary handicaps. I was thinking the Alt Economy mod or maybe Data Venia if it is updated with the next patch? Thoughts?

Cheers!

ScipioTheGreat's Avatar Miles

Default Re: New Challenge for Veteran Player

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander91 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am thinking of starting a new campaign soon and I am hoping to ramp up the difficulty. I always play on VH/N settings and tend to play Rome/Successor factions (Makedon, Eprius and Seleukids are my favorites).

So what are the submobs, roleplay limits, factions etc. that people use to make for a more historically accurate and challenging campaign. I would like to try something that makes for a more challenging game without imposing arbitrary handicaps. I was thinking the Alt Economy mod or maybe Data Venia if it is updated with the next patch? Thoughts?

Cheers!
    Check out testudo, it’s perfect for this. You can also take a look at my collection on steam. It’s tailored directly for a hardcore campaign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Thanks for sponsoring testudo, @ Scipio.

@ Alexander, we can say you have 4 choices depending on what you seek.

- Kam's alternative economy had received a lot of good comments. I didn't play it. For what I understood, Kam is trying to limit AI elementary intelligence through an economical overhaul. It seems to be really hardcore both in strat map decision and number of armies you'll have to battle. You can use cultural tensio and de ai arbitris too. Not the official hardcore packs. Better to choose normal difficulty.
    - Data Venia is an overhaul reagrding all DeI aspects. Notice that current version is previous patch 18 and it will need DeI 122g. Better to choose normal difficulty.
    - Classical hardcore campaign with official hardcore + cultural tensio + de ai arbitris. Better to choose hard difficulty.
    - Testudo is a trial to make DeI suitable for longer campaigns. You will have to face many internal issues regarding strat map decisions. AI is good and strong but it won't send you tons of armies. Better to choose hard difficulty.

Cultural tensio and de ai arbitris should be always loaded imo.

Notice that, in general, campaigns may be variable, depending on AI random things and faction chosen.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; June 05, 2018 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks Jake and Scipio! I always wondered about cultural tensio and de ai arbitris...I think I might given them a try. Although I am also thinking I might wait for the new update. I looked at testudo as well, looks cool. Although just as a side note, I never liked how squalor is generated by farms. I always thought that squalor should only be generated by urban centers and industrial buildings IMO

The reason why squalor is generated by farms, is because the regular civilians get increasingly angry about the larger farms mostly worked on by slaves I believe.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

@ Alex, yeah, could be, but it's just a game. For me the most important thing is that it's balanced and funny.
    Too much historical or realistic features might ruin entertainment.
    So, probably, squalor has been put here and there to represent a malus side while your society grow.

boblikesoup's Avatar Civis

Multiplayer campaigns. You will learn from others and have to play the game knowing you won't always get Heroic Victories. The predictable campaign dynamics will play out differently with another player on the scene.

Very Hard + Cultural Tensio + De AI Arbitis + Alternative Economy. That should add a little difficulty and some different flavor. If you can readily handle VH though then you'll probably quickly figure out how to navigate these new challenges as well. Regardless, in my experience, they bring a lot of flavor to your campaign.

If your comp can handle it, then try out 41 unit armies. While making battles more difficult and messy, it also changes the campaign map dynamics in a few different ways making the game a bit more challenging. The immediate ones that stand out to me 1) You have to support twice as many men with the same budget/population/food/supplies. Especially early game, this creates some pretty immediate obstacles to creating the equivalent of an optimal 20 unit comp. 2) Settlement garrisons acting in solo defense are not nearly as effective as wearing down the AI's armies. I always found this to be significantly in my advantage -- either winning or crippling an elite AI army with a 17 or 18 unit garrison. That is just a couple of quick examples of how alters the strategic dynamics of the campaign map but there's a myriad of ways it impacts your play.

Personally, I love the extra epicness it brings to battles and if you don't use pause the micro management is pretty intense.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Satansblofish View Post
    Very Hard + Cultural Tensio + De AI Arbitis + Alternative Economy. That should add a little difficulty and some different flavor. If you can readily handle VH though then you'll probably quickly figure out how to navigate these new challenges as well. Regardless, in my experience, they bring a lot of flavor to your campaign.
    That's the only way, for me at least.