Thread: WH1 on sale which dlc?

Default WH1 on sale which dlc?

WH1 is on sale at the moment and I am considering to take the plunge.

Ofcourse there is the dlc.

The blood pack imho is complete b/ so i can ignore

I know there's the various faction dlc of which they have their own merits. Of which The Wood Elves I'm inclined to get although they're not 50% off at the moment.

One Steam review that struck we was that "The King and the Warlord" and "The Grim and the Grave" dlc were required as the game feels incomplete without. Which is around the same amount as the WoodElves. Do these two really make such a differrance? Should prioritise getting these two first?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: WH1 on sale which dlc?

Firstly, AI has always all stuff to use, LLs, RoR, units so you are paying to unlocking stuff you want to play in campaign/battles/multiplayer. You will encounter Norsca, Wood Elves... even in base game wihtout any DLC.

King/Warlords (Dwarfs/Greenskins) + Grim/Grave (Empire/Vampires) are expanding the base 4 factions. Adding new LLs, new units and RoR units to these factions. So I would recommend to get at least one of those so you have 2 base factions with all toys. I would definitely get at least one of those. You will get Bretonnia for Free with all stuff.

All other faction DLCs are unlocking the specific faction with all stuff to play. Definitely get Norsca, the best one and cheap (if the theme is interesting to you) > Wood Elves (unlocking small minicampaign) > Chaos (with latest changes it is better, horde faction) > Beastmen (horde faction, not everybody like it, i do....but general consensus is it is the last DLC :-) ) (unlocking small minicampaign)

Beastmen and Wood Elves are not so cheap due to minicampaigns.

EDIT: and definitely after that, search steam and access page for free content like 30th RoR units, Bretonnia https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 02, 2018 at 08:16 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Thanks for that it's made it alot clearer. I've got the base game and i'll think about what to get next.

Wood Elves and Beastmen definately makes me want to wait for a better discount. With what I save I can get a couple of the faction dlc

Looked at a couple of reviews for Norsca which confirms it to be the best faction dlc to get.

I'll have to decide on which to get re King/Warlords + Grim/Grave or get both.

Out of those three would be the ones for me to get first.

Mind you with the free content there's plenty to be getting on with

Well. That´s hard call. I wrote down some short info about different races/factions. (thx to https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia....Warhammer_Wiki ) Empire is most similar to any normal historical faction but Vampires are meh for me. And because you are getting Bretonnia, which also cavalry heavy faction as Empire. I would go for Dwarfs/Greenskins. Norsca is like runnign around pillaging,razing and killing in the names of dark gods. Riding big Mammoths into battle..So if you want to enjoy WH to the fullest, try Kings/Warlords + Norsca. If dark gods and vikings are too much and you want to start slowly with Empire, go for Grim/Grave isntead of Norsca.

Grim/Grave
    Empire is obvious choice, it is human faction with good selection in all departments.

• Units: The Empire have an extremely large and diverse roster with almost every unit type represented. Infantry form the core of their army, backed up by strong cavalry and artillery.
    • Offices: In the campaign, Empire players can assign characters to offices via the office panel, which confers a title and various other benefits depending on the office.
    • Colleges of Magic: The Empire can recruit 7 different kinds of spellcaster heroes, who have access to a total of 42 spells – the most of any faction.
    • Good for beginners: Of all the factions in Warhammer, The Empire are perhaps the most similar to a historical Total War faction. Diplomacy and trade plays a major role in the initial stages of an Empire campaign, while combined arms tactics are required to achieve victory in battle. Players will be slowly introduced to magic spells and monster unit as they play.

Vampires needs to spread vampiric corruption for expanding and moving armies around. High vampiric corruption means enemy attrition while low corruption means attrition for you. I don´t like them too much. Dekadence, obcessive brutality, nobility..

• Units: Large, varied roster featuring hordes of expendable undead infantry backed up by ethereal units and bat-like monsters. All lords are spellcasters.
    • Binding and Crumbling: In battle, units never rout. Rather, they will crumble into dust if losing badly.
    • Raise Dead: In campaign, units can be instantly recruited anywhere by raising the dead. Large battle sites provide more and better units to raise.
    • Vampiric Corruption: In campaign, vampires spread their influence, harming other factions. However, they take attrition in areas with low vampiric corruption.
    • Dark Magic: Vampire Counts use dark magic instead of gold, though it functions the same.

Kings/Warlords
    Dwarfs are probably my favourite faction in WH1. Sturdy infantry, good range artillery, no cavalry, no magic but some runes. They are slow to grow but their economy is powerhouse in late game. Plus I like them from Gotrek and Felix books. Grudges. You won´t forget even one penny somebode owes you for thousand years. Still good reason for war!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

:-)

• Units: Heavily-armoured infantry, powerful artillery and advanced war machines. No cavalry, no magic, and no monstrous units.
    • The Great Book of Grudges: In the campaign, Dwarf players are issued grudge missions to take revenge for enemy attacks. Completing grudges is essential.
    • Underway: Dwarf armies can enter Use Underway stance, allowing them to bypass danger by travelling underground. This mechanic is shared with Greenskins and Skaven.
    • Runes: Dwarfs have special inventory items called runes, which can be attached to units like banners.
    • Resource economy: Dwarf resource extraction buildings go up to level IV, allowing them to gain extra bonuses
    • Good for beginners: Dwarfs have a fairly easy start in the campaign - a good economy, high public order (though they suffer low growth). Their units are powerful, reliable and easy to use.

Greenskins...orks, goblins. Mindless rage, no tactics, just hit hard and smash. But lot people try to play them casually...who cares about some loses. (actually a lot tactics with their cavalry and so on)

• Units: Masses of cheap infantry, combined with cavalry, and large monsters.
    • Vandalism: Greenskins leave behind harmful buildings for the enemy, after sacking or razing a settlement.
    • Unique stances: Use Underway allows Greenskins to traverse impassable terrain, while Raidin' Camp combines raiding and encamp.
    • Savage Orcs: In campaign, Savage Orcs units can only be recruited with the special Savage Orcs resource.
    • Fightiness and Waaaghs!: Successful Greenskins armies can spawn AI-controlled Waaagh! Armies. Low fightiness however, causes attrition.

Norsca probably the most RPG style of play. You basically go around the world and pilliage and raze whatever you want.

• Units: Cheaper, undisciplined marauder units, backed up by many large monstrous units. Few ranged options.
    • Allegiance to the Gods: Norscan factions can gain favour with one of four Chaos Gods, gaining various rewards and bonuses.
    • Norsca settlements: Unique settlement system, can only colonise settlements in the Norscan peninsula, coastal settlements and racial capitals, which unlocks technologies.
    • Monstrous Arcanum: A book that allows Norsca to engage in monster hunt quests, for great rewards.
    • The Everchosen's Summons: A special dilemma which allows Norsca to join the Chaos Invasion with the Warriors of Chaos, if they choose.
    • Tribal Confederation: Norsca can confederate Norscan Tribes by defeating their leaders, or vassalize them by taking their last settlement.

Bretonnia another faction with RPG style. You need to be chivalric lord.

• Units: Strong knight cavalry, backed up by cheap peasant infantry. Plenty of flying units.
    • Chivalry: Noble actions provide faction-wide bonuses, while acting unchivalrously incurs penalties.
    • The Green Knight: A unique hero unit that becomes available to summon after reaching certain thresholds of chivalry.
    • Peasant Economy: Peasants both work the land, and also fight in armies. Recruiting too many peasant units hampers your economy.
    • Lance Formation: This special formation, unique to Bretonnia, allows their cavalry to pierce through enemy lines.
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 02, 2018 at 09:03 PM.

I'd say either Norsca or Wood Elves and King and Warlord. You get 2 new factions, Skarsnik is really fun.

FLCs are heavily sided for base game factions:

Empire - Jade/Grey Wizards
    Vampires - new LL Isabella + Krell for Heinrich
    Dwarfs - LL Grombrindal
    Greenskins - LL Wurrzag

and 30th RoR for Beastmen, The Wood Elves, Chaos, Bretonnia and Norsca.

LL are always great. New skills, quest battles, legendary items. It is a famous character with lore background. Vampires have the highest number of 5 LLs possible and Empire having 7 schools of magic, so for these two factions the additions are not so great. Having 5 or 7 schools of magic is not big difference..

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Grim and Grave offers nothing new Campaign wise. The campaigns as Ghorst/Volk plays identical to the base game LL. King & Warlord have different subfactions that come with different challenges. If you enjoy playing as Dwarves/Orks it is the much superior of the two.

I went for Grim + Grave, King + Warlord and Chaos Warriors

Kholek Suneater was too much to resist. Empire at the start was feeling like I was playing a historical title.

Grim + Grave for what they add to the Vampire Counts who I really like. Ghorst although squishy and slow he has some nice buffs.

He has an interesting back story that isn't in game. I didn't realise the four skeletons that pull his carriage are his brothers amongst other things. I'll look forward to playing these goths after I've finished with Chaos.