Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] ROMA

Icon3 [PREVIEW] ROMA

1.2.3 ROMAN PREVIEW

Faction History
    The city of Rome grew from settlements around a ford on the river Tiber, a crossroads of traffic and trade. According to archaeological evidence, the village of Rome was probably founded some time in the 8th century BC, though it may go back as far as the 10th century BC, by members of the Latin tribe of Italy, on the top of the Palatine Hill. The Etruscans, who had previously settled to the north in Etruria, seem to have established political control in the region by the late 7th century BC, forming an aristocratic and monarchical elite. The Etruscans apparently lost power by the late 6th century BC, and at this point, the original Latin and Sabine tribes reinvented their government by creating a republic, with much greater restraints on the ability of rulers to exercise power. The Roman Republic was established around 509 BC, when the last of the seven kings of Rome, Tarquin the Proud, was deposed by Lucius Junius Brutus and a system based on annually elected magistrates and various representative assemblies was established. A constitution set a series of checks and balances, and a separation of powers. The most important magistrates were the two consuls, who together exercised executive authority such as imperium, or military command. The consuls had to work with the senate, which was initially an advisory council of the ranking nobility, or patricians, but grew in size and power.

In the 4th century BC, the Republic had come under attack by the Gauls, who now extended their power in the Italian peninsula beyond the Po Valley and through Etruria. On 16 July 390 BC, a Gallic army under the leadership of a tribal chieftain named Brennus, met the Romans on the banks of the Allia River just ten miles north of Rome. Brennus defeated the Romans, and the Gauls marched directly to Rome. Most Romans had fled the city, but some barricaded themselves upon the Capitoline Hill for a last stand. The Gauls looted and burned the city, then laid siege to the Capitoline Hill. The siege lasted seven months, the Gauls then agreed to give the Romans peace in exchange for 1,000 pounds of gold. According to later legend, the Roman supervising the weighing noticed that the Gauls were using false scales. The Romans then took up arms and defeated the Gauls; their victorious general Camillus remarked "With iron, not with gold, Rome buys her freedom." The Romans gradually subdued the other peoples on the Italian peninsula, including the Etruscans. The last threat to Roman hegemony in Italy came when Tarentum, a major Greek colony, enlisted the aid of Pyrrhus of Epirus in 281 BC, but this effort failed as well. The Romans secured their conquests by founding Roman colonies in strategic areas, thereby establishing stable control over the region of Italy they had conquered.

In the 3rd century BC Rome faced a new and formidable opponent: Carthage. Carthage was a rich, flourishing Phoenician city-state that intended to dominate the Mediterranean area. The two cities were allies in the times of Pyrrhus, who was a menace to both, but with Rome's hegemony in mainland Italy and the Carthaginian thalassocracy, these cities became the two major powers in the Western Mediterranean and their contention over the Mediterranean led to conflict. This conflict erupted into a series of wars, known as the Punic Wars, that lasted for over a century. All of these wars resulted in Rome's first overseas conquests (Sicily, Hispania and Africa) and the rise of Rome as a significant imperial power with less of a focus on an internal Republican system. After defeating the Macedonian and Seleucid Empires in the 2nd century BC, the Romans became the dominant people of the Mediterranean Sea.

The conquest of the Hellenistic kingdoms brought the Roman and Greek cultures in closer contact and the Roman elite, once rural, became a luxurious and cosmopolitan one. At this time Rome was a consolidated empire – in the military view – and had no major enemies. Foreign dominance led to internal strife. Senators became rich at the provinces' expense; soldiers, who were mostly small-scale farmers, were away from home longer and could not maintain their land; and the increased reliance on foreign slaves and the growth of latifundia reduced the availability of paid work. The situation came to a head in the late 2nd century BC under the Gracchi brothers, a pair of tribunes who attempted to pass land reform legislation that would redistribute the major patrician landholdings among the plebeians. Both brothers were killed and the Senate passed reforms reversing the Gracchi brother's actions. This led to the growing divide of the plebeian groups (populares) and equestrian classes (optimates).

Out of this discord, Gaius Marius, a novus homo, soon become a leader of the Republic, holding the first of his seven consulships (an unprecedented number) in 107 BC. Marius then started his military reform: he levied very poor (an innovation) and many landless men entered the army; this was the seed of securing loyalty of the army to the General in command. After Marius's retirement, Rome had a brief peace, during which the Italian socii requested Roman citizenship and voting rights. The reformist Marcus Livius Drusus supported their legal process but was assassinated, and the socii revolted against the Romans in the Social War. At one point both consuls were killed; Marius was appointed to command the army together with Lucius Cornelius Sulla, his once friend and now rival. By the end of the Social War, Marius and Sulla were the premier military men in Rome and their partisans were in conflict, both sides jostling for power. Marius died in 86 BC, due to age and poor health, just a few months after seizing power. Sulla, after returning from his Eastern campaigns, had a free path to reestablish his own power. In 83 BC he made his second march in Rome and began a time of terror: thousands of nobles, knights and senators were executed. Sulla also held two dictatorships and one more consulship, which began the crisis and decline of Roman Republic.

By the mid-1st century BC, Roman politics were restless. Political divisions in Rome became identified with two groupings, populares (who hoped for the support of the people) and optimates (the "best", who wanted to maintain exclusive aristocratic control). Sulla overthrew all populist leaders and his constitutional reforms removed powers (such as those of the tribune of the plebs) that had supported populist approaches. Meanwhile, social and economic stresses continued to build; Rome had become a metropolis with a super-rich aristocracy, debt-ridden aspirants, and a large proletariat often of impoverished farmers. The latter groups supported the Catilinarian conspiracy – a resounding failure, since the consul Marcus Tullius Cicero quickly arrested and executed the main leaders of the conspiracy. Onto this turbulent scene emerged Gaius Julius Caesar, from an aristocratic family of limited wealth. To achieve power, Caesar reconciled the two most powerful men in Rome: Marcus Licinius Crassus and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, to whom he married his daughter. He formed them into a new informal alliance including himself, the First Triumvirate.

In 54 BC, Caesar's daughter, Pompey's wife, died in childbirth, unraveling one link in the alliance. In 53 BC, Crassus invaded Parthia and was killed in the Battle of Carrhae. The Triumvirate disintegrated at Crassus' death. Caesar conquered Gaul, obtaining immense wealth, respect in Rome and the loyalty of battle-hardened legions. He also became a clear menace to Pompey and was loathed by many optimates. Confident that Caesar could be stopped by legal means, Pompey's party tried to strip Caesar of his legions, a prelude to Caesar's trial, impoverishment, and exile. To avoid this fate, Caesar crossed the Rubicon River and invaded Rome in 49 BC. Pompey and his party fled from Italy, pursued by Caesar. The Battle of Pharsalus was a brilliant victory for Caesar and in this and other campaigns he destroyed all of the optimates' leaders: Metellus Scipio, Cato the Younger, and Pompey's son, Gnaeus Pompeius. Pompey was murdered in Egypt in 48 BC. Caesar was now pre-eminent over Rome, attracting the bitter enmity of many aristocrats. He was granted many offices and honours. In just five years, he held four consulships, two ordinary dictatorships, and two special dictatorships: one for ten years and another for perpetuity. He was murdered in 44 BC, on the Ides of March by the Liberatores.

Caesar's assassination caused political and social turmoil in Rome; without the dictator's leadership, the city was ruled by his friend and colleague, Mark Antony. Soon afterward, Octavius, whom Caesar adopted through his will, arrived in Rome. Octavian tried to align himself with the Caesarian faction. In 43 BC, along with Antony and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, Caesar's best friend, he legally established the Second Triumvirate. The Triumvirate divided the Empire among the triumvirs: Lepidus was given charge of Africa, Antony, the eastern provinces, and Octavian remained in Italia and controlled Hispania and Gaul. Following Antony's Donations of Alexandria, which gave to Cleopatra the title of "Queen of Kings", and to Antony's and Cleopatra's children the regal titles to the newly conquered Eastern territories, war between Octavian and Antony broke out. Octavian annihilated Egyptian forces in the Battle of Actium in 31 BC. Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide. Now Egypt was conquered by the Roman Empire, and for the Romans, a new era had begun. In 27 BC and at the age of 36, Octavian was the sole Roman leader. In that year, he took the name Augustus. That event is usually taken by historians as the beginning of Roman Empire. Officially, the government was republican, but Augustus assumed absolute powers. His reform of the government brought about a two-century period colloquially referred to by Romans as the Pax Romana.

Roster Overviews

Rome is in the game's title, need I say more? Although we have always put a special priority on the central factions like Rome and Carthage, neither of them have had major updates in a very long time. Our main focus in the mod has been making the other 40+ factions feel like they are just as unique and important. That focus will change in 1.2.3. While Carthage is getting a total overhaul (due to not having one in years), Rome will be getting multiple appearance updates to its units. We feel that the Roman roster is mostly complete, varied and interesting as it is in the mod, but we wanted to add some of the wonderful assets from the True Legions submod. Many of the great textures and features of this appearance update are from their mod and all credit goes to their team. We have taken those assets and molded them a bit to fit best into the mod, but make no mistake - this update is mostly thanks to the True Legions team. So...THANK YOU GUYS Also note that many other units from other factions will benefit from these new assets as well.

Don_Diego has been hard at work overhauling the various units to have the updated textures. He also did our wonderful Roman auxilia system, naval units, etc. and is a bit obsessed with Rome Rather than show the entire roster, which is almost impossible since Rome has hundreds of units, we have chosen a select few to show off here that have benefited the most from the newer assets. The Roman roster has 4 unique reform tiers with tons of core units and around 200 specialized auxiliary units depending on the location and reform level. We hope you guys enjoy the preview, this is the final one before we do a public beta for 1.2.3 here on the TWC forums - so get ready

Rome

Camillan Hastati
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Polybian Hastati

Camillan Principes

Polybian Principes

Imperial Cataphract Legionaries

Auxiliary Alpine Cohort

Auxiliary Iberian Cohort

Camillan Triarii

Polybian Triarii

Marian Legionaries

Imperial Legionaries

Marian Praetorians

Imperial Praetorians

Legatus

Auxiliary Gallic Cavalry

Camillan Pedites Extraordinarii

Polybian Pedites Extraordinarii

Other Factions
    - We will also have multiple smaller additions to various rosters. These include a couple new units for Egypt, Syracuse, and Epirus as well as some changes to various AOR units.
    - Various other cultures will have updates to their appearances as well, including Celtic, Italian, German and other units. Here is a small sample of some of those changes:

Credits
    - Massive thanks to Little Legionaire and the True Legions submod! Many assets from their great work are included in this update. Members of their team include Attila, Celticus, Solitudo, HighOnTea, Vandamsel, Falco and contributors Kaziel, Germansarecoming, Stealth4Life and Hloeric.
    - Various DeI team members but the heavy lifting was all Don_Diego!
    Last edited by Dresden; June 01, 2018 at 02:44 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Default Re: [PREVIEW] ROMA

Finally! Thanks Dresden!

Such a glorius preview!

And on behalf of our team id like to thank you all dear DEI team for providing us such a great mod to work with. As the team lead i had a vision for Roman faction since day one of Rome II release and i'm so happy to see in the end as a community and band of brothers who share the same passion and love for this game we all give our best of our abilities and hard work of years.

Salutations!

And proud sons of she wolf:

TO ARMS!

Glad to have contributed to DeI in some way , they look great!

ROMA INVICTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nekro_TWH's Avatar Foederatus

Awesome!

Boh!
    Hiss!

Filthy beardless roamn plebs, come taste the might of "barbarian" steel!

KAZAKIT KAZA- (whoops, wrong game )

GAELS GAN CHOINNE ("Unconquered Gaels" in Irish)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Legionaire View Post
    Such a glorius preview!

And on behalf of our team id like to thank you all dear DEI team for providing us such a great mod to work with. As the team lead i had a vision for Roman faction since day one of Rome II release and i'm so happy to see in the end as a community and band of brothers who share the same passion and love for this game we all give our best of our abilities and hard work of years.

Salutations!

And proud sons of she wolf:

TO ARMS!
    I feel the exact same way about the community and modders here. Thanks again for all the collaboration!

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    Glad to have contributed to DeI in some way , they look great!
    I added your name to the credits! Thank you!

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Dopifex maximus!

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I feel the exact same way about the community and modders here. Thanks again for all the collaboration!

I added your name to the credits! Thank you!
    I'm Vandamsel fyi .

I have multiple funny feelings in my pants.

Wow, they are some really great looking units, especially the Auxiliary Gallic Cavalry - i mean you just would not mess would you.
    I have always had the brilliant "True Legions" as my No1 mod and it has never left my load order, so now seeing it more or less integrated into DEI is such a pleasure.

I also agree, this is such a great community for Rome2(more than any other Total War game, i believe), it's such a special game for me and probably for others too and to have the opportunity of using "DEI","True Legions" and other mods is a privilege. To all the Mod teams involved i take my hat off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I'm Vandamsel fyi .
    Well that explains alot....

It looks really good guys, youve done a great job :-) But with more historicall authenticity, these units would look even better :-)

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

An entire Roman unit of Lorica Segmentata… cool! Also, great job making those auxiliaries and main line units look distinct and evolving. There are regional and qualitative differences with all of these guys! I can actually really imagine a very diverse Roman army with different classes and ethnic groups fighting even within the ranks of the core units. Very impressive details - thank you to the entire team! Are those Gallic units new mercs for Egypt? Just asking for a friend...

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Not yet, there will be time for Egypt
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The Roman roster has 4 unique reform tiers with tons of core units and around 200 specialized auxiliary units depending on the location and reform level.
    That's just incredible amount of work right there. Looking forward to try 'em out! From screenies the plebeian plain look of camillan hastati caught my eye.. just looks wrong in a good way "would some just give 'em little gold? otherwise they'll become the slaves of envy"

Great job guys

This is amazing. great work!

I just want to show my appreciation, this is by far my most played mod.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast