Thread: Fallout 76 (Fallout 5?) Discussion Thread

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Fallout 76 (Fallout 5?) Discussion Thread

I watched most of the twitch stream (on my other pc), and finally Todd Howard appears, said we'd waited long enough and thanked us for tuning in. Then they showed the teaser trailer

Now, it will take place in Vault 76, probably in Virginia. It was one of the seventeen control vaults, and set to open 20 years after the bomb dropped.

More information is set to be released at E3 on the 10th of June.

Any thoughts, comments, reactions? Discuss below!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Default Re: Fallout 76 (Fallout 5?) Discussion Thread

I've watched it constantly and am pretty excited. From what I've seen of the trailer there are a bunch of theories. I've been leaning on something on one. The date is 25 years after the bombs fell, the vault, according to Fallout 3, was supposed to be opened on reclamation day (the 20 year mark when vault 76 was supposed to open), your character could be a previous dweller or is from the outside who has been going in and out of the vault. You can see a handmade dirty leather backpack on the bed which looks like it is from the outside, and a lot of stuff that doesn't look pristine in the trailer. Tons of reused Fallout 4 assets, by the way. The president or whomever on the TV was talking about rebuilding so I assume a revamped Fallout 4 building system will be included, hopefully it's actually polished this time around. West Virginia is an interesting locale.

I have seen some rumors that it has an online element. I hope it takes more of a less intrusive route to it if that is the case. Something like Borderlands or how Far Cry 5 or something, so you can opt out of it if you want. It is created by Beth game studios so I am really hoping this is the case. Some people have said it's gonna be like a rust clone, please no. If I wanted to play Rust I would just play Rust.

Other thoughts, being 25 years or so after the bombs fell this game will be set before even Fallout 1, they will have to create a lot of their own lore here. I don't think BoS would have a presence, as I think they are still confined to the west coast here. I don't think they would even really have Super Mutants since this game predates The Master by quite a bit of time. I suppose they could have the idiot Super Mutants that we have gotten used to seeing however. Only major faction that we know, that I can think of, that could be included would be The Enclave - which I actually think would be really cool. I'd love to see more of that. They are Remnants of the Old Us Government after all. (Though, I think even they are confined to their oil rig on the west coast - I'll have to brush up on my lore). A lot of the characters in the game will probably be Pre-war survivors which would be really cool. I doubt your character was an adult when the bombs fell unless your character is in his/her 50's, on that as well. It has a lot of potential for some really cool and interesting stories.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; May 30, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

I'm just speculating now.

I was watching Mrmatty's trailer analysis and tend to agree with him on the multiplayer points. While I would rather have a singleplayer title just like every other Beth Fallout (NV, F3, F4) I could keep an open mind a multiplayer mode was done right.

Throughout the trailer you can see multiple hints that this is MP. You have the board game, as Mrmatty says with 5 players, along with that you have 2 chairs sitting next to each other one with a guitar one with a harmonica - obviously two people would be playing those. You have many other hints like the cafeteria with 2 plates set, and most importantly you have the computer terminal that says "You're Invited" - which I have to agree with Mrmatty here seems like thats how you can be invited to other player's games. I think Vault 76 will act as the central hub of the game, kind of like Vermintide 1/2 has their little hub - which you can probably customize. I predict you will be able to find, join, invite people through a central terminal, or that terminal shown in the trailer, and leave the vault to "Rebuild".

Thinking about it now, the setting of the game makes perfect sense to test the waters of a multiplayer oriented Fallout title. There isn't really any established lore for this period or area of US to really infringe upon and it's probably gonna be based centrally in podunk nowhere. If what one of my friends told me is true it could be based near and interstate which would make even more sense, because you could probably traverse that interstate from your central hub (vault 76) to rebuild, go on missions, etc. IF, and this is a big IF, if they do it right it could potentially be a lot of fun, even as a multiplayer Fallout. If it is done poorly they are going to lose a lot of respect, and fans.

More to add, I think players are unnamed vault 76 dwellers in the grand scheme of things, obviously they will pick their own name or something, which will tie in using vault 76 as the hub and make even more sense with the name of the game itself. Inviting other players via "You are invited", to reclamation day obviously, is just their cute way of having you go join your friends game under the guise of "reclaiming" the wasteland. Smart moves, and makes total sense now.

They could even have vehicles. Being only 25 years after the bombs fell the roads are probably still in a traversable state, and most of the vehicles should also be in better shape. I could see a motorcycle or something potentially. Could be cool.

Factions may or may not be player made, but I am leaning on them being player created. It will ruin my immersion, but would be nice for the multiplayer element, and a potential guild system.

Thinking more on it, I don't really see how it could actually be a Rust clone. I highly doubt the engine could handle that many players with their buildings all over the play area. Fallout 4 has a settlement limit for a reason. You have to glitch it out to make it higher (or mod it), and even when you do that it just gets more and more unstable. Low frames would be the least of your worries. It is obviously using the same engine and assets as Fallout 4. It literally looks almost exactly the same. As a consequence of using the same engine I just don't think it is plausible - at least not on the scale of Rust.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; May 30, 2018 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I'm just speculating now.

I was watching Mrmatty's trailer analysis and tend to agree with him on the multiplayer points. While I would rather have a singleplayer title just like every other Beth Fallout (NV, F3, F4) I could keep an open mind a multiplayer mode was done right.

Throughout the trailer you can see multiple hints that this is MP. You have the board game, as Mrmatty says with 5 players, along with that you have 2 chairs sitting next to each other one with a guitar one with a harmonica - obviously two people would be playing those. You have many other hints like the cafeteria with 2 plates set, and most importantly you have the computer terminal that says "You're Invited" - which I have to agree with Mrmatty here seems like thats how you can be invited to other player's games. I think Vault 76 will act as the central hub of the game, kind of like Vermintide 1/2 has their little hub - which you can probably customize. I predict you will be able to find, join, invite people through a central terminal, or that terminal shown in the trailer, and leave the vault to "Rebuild".

Thinking about it now, the setting of the game makes perfect sense to test the waters of a multiplayer oriented Fallout title. There isn't really any established lore for this period or area of US to really infringe upon and it's probably gonna be based centrally in podunk nowhere. If what one of my friends told me is true it could be based near and interstate which would make even more sense, because you could probably traverse that interstate from your central hub (vault 76) to rebuild, go on missions, etc. IF, and this is a big IF, if they do it right it could potentially be a lot of fun, even as a multiplayer Fallout. If it is done poorly they are going to lose a lot of respect, and fans.

More to add, I think players are unnamed vault 76 dwellers in the grand scheme of things, obviously they will pick their own name or something, which will tie in using vault 76 as the hub and make even more sense with the name of the game itself. Inviting other players via "You are invited", to reclamation day obviously, is just their cute way of having you go join your friends game under the guise of "reclaiming" the wasteland. Smart moves, and makes total sense now.

They could even have vehicles. Being only 25 years after the bombs fell the roads are probably still in a traversable state, and most of the vehicles should also be in better shape. I could see a motorcycle or something potentially. Could be cool.

Factions may or may not be player made, but I am leaning on them being player created. It will ruin my immersion, but would be nice for the multiplayer element, and a potential guild system.

Thinking more on it, I don't really see how it could actually be a Rust clone. I highly doubt the engine could handle that many players with their buildings all over the play area. Fallout 4 has a settlement limit for a reason. You have to glitch it out to make it higher (or mod it), and even when you do that it just gets more and more unstable. Low frames would be the least of your worries. It is obviously using the same engine and assets as Fallout 4. It literally looks almost exactly the same. As a consequence of using the same engine I just don't think it is plausible - at least not on the scale of Rust.
    Looks like I was actually right, unfortunately. Have to adjust expectations for an online game as a service. I still like those so personally, I'm fine. It'll be fun for me.

This is literally what Fallout 76 is gonna be when you join an online session:

You can even grab nukes to blow up peoples bases! Lovely..

UPDATE:

Interview with Todd today. Put up a link later if I can find it.

[EDIT]:

Solo play means you play by yourself with other players in the world NOT singleplayer.
    No NPC'S AT ALL Aside from robots, etc. Quests are given by them or terminals.
    NO MODS at release. However, mods and private servers are apparently being worked on and coming.
    VATS is in but real time

Some more thoughts, since there are no NPCs, and since you can nuke anywhere on the map. I say the storyline, and side quests are radiant or extremely generic, and locations don't matter much. It looks and sounds like an online looter shooter/builder at it's heart. Essentially online Fallout 4 with no story.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; June 11, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

After watching Todd Howard at the Bethesda conference I was actually quite excited. A new Fallout game set in a completely new location with x4 times the map and it is a prequel to the Fallout franchise! Not only that but you can play both multiplayer and SOLO!

I was so relieved that I wouldn't have to endure a forced an online experience and would have the possibility to wonder alone and do my own story. But then I get a notification on youtube: " Todd Howard announces in an interview that Fallout 76 will not have a Single Player mode". I nearly dropped my beer out of my hand. And after watching the video I didn't even know what to express. Sadness? Laugh for how Bethesda once again trolled us? Or be angry? I literally couldn't tell for all those feelings mixed into one. The feeling that every fan felt after they stompped us. Everything that I loved about the Fallout franchise, things like the deep stories, the NPC's, the unique factions, the freedom to make your own story, they've flushed it all down the toilet in just a matter of seconds.

If Bethesda really wants to expand their gameplay to a new area then they could've just placed the option for the gameplay to be Single Player or Multiplayer but not to force us to deal with their choice of being Multiplayer only! Every game company has become a bloody dictatorship nowadays with their dlc policies, the "cover my ears tactic" when listening to what the fans want just to get a penny extra. What has gaming become? Does anyone remember the 2000-2010 period? The period when the greatest games were released without any of those things I listed above?

Sighs, let's see how this one turns out.

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

But hey! Maybe we get lucky and Santa Todd will open his eyes for the next games!
    Last edited by Hannibal2001; June 11, 2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal2001 View Post
    After watching Todd Howard at the Bethesda conference I was actually quite excited. A new Fallout game set in a completely new location with x4 times the map and it is a prequel to the Fallout franchise! Not only that but you can play both multiplayer and SOLO!

I was so relieved that I wouldn't have to endure a forced an online experience and would have the possibility to wonder alone and do my own story. But then I get a notification on youtube: " Todd Howard announces in an interview that Fallout 76 will not have a Single Player mode". I nearly dropped my beer out of my hand. And after watching the video I didn't even know what to express. Sadness? Laugh for how Bethesda once again trolled us? Or be angry? I literally couldn't tell for all those feelings mixed into one. The feeling that every fan felt after they stompped us. Everything that I loved about the Fallout franchise, things like the deep stories, the NPC's, the unique factions, the freedom to make your own story, they've flushed it all down the toilet in just a matter of seconds.

If Bethesda really wants to expand their gameplay to a new area then they could've just placed the option for the gameplay to be Single Player or Multiplayer but not to force us to deal with their choice of being Multiplayer only! Every game company has become a bloody dictatorship nowadays with their dlc policies, the "cover my ears tactic" when listening to what the fans want just to get a penny extra. What has gaming become? Does anyone remember the 2000-2010 period? The period when the greatest games were released without any of those things I listed above?

Sighs, let's see how this one turns out.
    I had a feeling of what it was gonna be like, and it is actually worse than I was expecting (earlier post). I was hoping it was just going to be a regular experience, but with coop. No NPC's and forced PvP sounds like a terrible idea. Forced PvP especially for solo players, or players who don't have a lot of time to farm and level. Yeah, you can choose to play solo, but you really think the other people on the server are gonna let you do that? No way! They are going to kill on sight! Doesn't matter if it's "soft-core" survival and you keep your stuff people will do it just to annoy you. Hopefully private servers and mod support comes soon after launch.

Don't get me wrong it still looks like a lot of fun if you are looking for a multiplayer looter shooter/builder experience. I personally think I will have a lot of fun with it. I just wish I actually had friends for when it comes out at the end of the year! I'm going to be that solo player that will play 95% of the time by themselves.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; June 11, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

I think it's similar to Fallout 4 but we can't play offline and there is no story mode.

A bunch of long gameplay has come out today. I haven't watched a lot of it, but I have watched a few impressions of it. It seems pretty much exactly like Fallout 4 gameplay wise, with some improvements, like lighting, building. The environmental story telling and quests given were apparently pretty good, however, the game felt "lonely". The game looks really laggy, and the people who played it also talked about how laggy it was, and there were latency issues as well.

I haven't watched this gameplay, but it is one of the longest videos for raw gameplay:

Pretty much if you like Fallout 4's gameplay loop you will like this, as speculated. However, getting it at release might be a gamble if this stays as laggy as it is.