Thread: Elephants are way too effective

Default Elephants are way too effective

Just like in any mod or any iteration of Total War, the war elephants are so incredibly effective it practically ruins games. It's as if they only need to touch units for them to die, even for a split second, leading into an immediate rout of your entire army. Some kind of nerf is warranted for the health of this mod imo

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Elephants are way too effective

I find they can usually be routed with javelins.

The javelins on melee units and dedicated missile troops usually rout elephants pretty quick. Just save your javelins for the right moments or use pikes against them.

I go on a safari. I take either cav or inf and place javelins behind them. Put them on the flank. One cav unit acts as a decoy as the elephants love to chase them. So, just run in a circle around the javelins and voila....elephants gone. Sometimes it works out that they run down the front on my line where my other javelins are and roasty toasty elephant meat.

zimm out

P.S. Another way to single out 'phants is to use cav with bows with a helping of javelins on the side. Have fun.
    Last edited by zimmer1lb; May 29, 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unztruct View Post
    Just like in any mod or any iteration of Total War, the war elephants are so incredibly effective it practically ruins games. It's as if they only need to touch units for them to die, even for a split second, leading into an immediate rout of your entire army. Some kind of nerf is warranted for the health of this mod imo
    Javilins are your friend, I never had any problems with elephant units as Rome thanks to my Javelin units, in fact elephant route after the 2 or 3rd volley.

Having 3-4 javelin units, like in the Zama battle, will mean that they're pretty much decimated by the time they approach your lines. In every single time I've played Zama I've not once had the elephants actually reach my lines.

And the AI was never able to use elephants efficiently in any total war game I've played. If you use elephants, first get rid of javelins and archers and then flank and decimate the ennemy