Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Estates d'Avranches

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default The Estates d'Avranches

D'AVRANCHES

d'Avaranches Family

Name: Gerald d'Avaranches
    Marital Status: Married to Emma of Penthievre (B.1050)
    Children:
    Sarah d'Avranches (B.1072)
    Geva d'Avranches (B.1073)
    Edith d'Avranches (B.1075)
    Thomas d'Avranches (B.1076)
    Skills:
    +2 battles
    +1 personal combat
    +1 Survival
    +2 wealth

Temperaments:
    Idealistic: +1 Charisma, -1 to rout/assassination/escape rolls.

Gerald is the brother of Goz, Vicomte d’Avranches, serving as his brothers steward and marshal of the family lands in Cotentin, France. Upon the death of his nephew he was sent to take up the land grant in his brothers name. A task that proved to be a challenging ordeal.

Name: Richard Le Goz, d’Avranches
    Marital Status: Married to Emma d’Avranches(ne. Conteville) (B.1026)
    Children:
    Hugh (B.1044 – D.1067) Married to Emma de Penthievre (B.1048)
    Albreda d’Avranches (B.1045) Married to Baldwin de Clare
    Margaret d’Avranches (B.1053) Married to Ranaulf de Meschines
    ----Ranaulph (B.1070)
    ----William (B.1072)
    Judith d’Avranches (B.1054) Married to Richard de L’Aigle
    ----William (B.1072.)
    Arbella d’Avranches (B.1055)
    Gilbert d'Avranches (B.1065)

Skills:
    +2 wealth
    +2 charisma
    +1 battles
    +1 assassin

Temperaments:
    Empathic: +2 Charisma, -1 to battle/joust/duel rolls.

Name: Hugh d'Avaranches
    Marital Status: Married to Emma of Penthievre (B. 1048)(Widowed)
    Children: None

Skills:
    +2 battles
    +2 personal combat
    +2 wealth

Temperaments:
    Confident: +1 battle rolls, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

Hugh was the son of Richard Goz, Vicomte d’Avranches but his paternal family were land owners in the Cotentin in France. His father supplied many ships to assist William the Conqueror in the invasion of England in 1066. Soon after the invasion whilst still a young man he crossed to England in the service of King William. He would meet his untimely demise at the Battle of Goodrich, attempting to hold the right flank against overwhelming Saxon hoards
    Incomes and Estates

Total Income - £4,700

Chesire
    Chester/Shotwick/Aldford - Prosperous Income
    Tarvin/Beeston - - Average Income
    Nantwich - Average Income
    Northwich - Prosperous Income
    Runcorn/Halton - Prosperous Income
    Bucklow - Prosperous Income

Lancashire

Bolton - Prosperous Income
    Warrington - Prosperous Income
    Blackburn - Average Income
    Limehurst - Average Income
    Manchester - Average Income

Richmondshire
    Startforth - Sparse Income
    Reeth - Sparse Income
    Richmond - Average Income
    Croft - Average Income
    Levy and Retinue

Levy
    00 provinces x 100 men = 0 men (max potential)

Composition:
    10 knights/huscarls, 15 serjeants/thegns, 20 fyrdmen, 20 english footmen, 20 english archers, 15 hobelars

d'Avaranches Retinue
    25 Norman Knights
    75 Serjeants

Total: 100 men
    Buildings

Chester
    Tier I
    Tenant Homesteads: +5% land income
    Castle Village: +5% land income
    Fishing Village (Coastal holding only): +5% land income. Adds 5 ships to ship levy.
    Mustering Fields: +1 to levy call up rolls
    Enlarged Keep: Increase garrison size by 50%
    Local Blacksmiths: -5% to levy upkeep

Tier II
    Peasant Farmsteads: +10% land income
    Castle Town: +10% land income
    Small Fishery (coastal holding only): +10% land income. Adds 5 ships to ship levy.
    Training fields: +1 to levy call up rolls

Tier III
    Rented Estates: +10% land income
    Castle Market: +10% land income
    Coastal Town: +10% land income. Adds 10 ships to ship levy.
    Local Blacksmiths: +1 to levy call up rolls.

Castles
    Chester - Stone Wall: Grants +10 siege defence and +5 to levy rolls in the province it is constructed in, as well as +1 Demesne limit.

Tarvin/Beeston
    - Stone Keep (3,000 upgrade) - Grants +7 siege defence and +4 to levy rolls in the province it is constructed in, as well as +50% garrison size. Takes 1 week to construct and requires a Motte and Bailey for upgrade.

Richmond
    - Motte and Bailey: Grants +5 siege defence and +3 to levy rolls in the province it is constructed in.
    Last edited by chesser2538; August 24, 2018 at 05:18 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Default Re: The Estates of Hugh d'Avranches

A rider arrives, having come from the Lord Rufus' retinue. He is pleased to inform Hugh that his suitor has arrived from Brittany, and so courtship and marriage can take place at Lord Avranches' convenience.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Lord Mowbray arrived with his renitue to Chester Castle as he had been invited.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lord Uthredsson arrives at Chester castle with his retinue.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Citizen

Lord Mowbray arrived with his retinue to Chester Castle as he had been invited.
    He arrives shortly before Gerald was set to go on a hunt. He is invited to join, hopefully they may find deer, and Wales can be discussed. Additionally food is to be distributed to his men.

Lord Uthredsson arrives at Chester castle with his retinue.
    He is welcomed openly, food is to be distributed to his men, and he is invited to dine with Lord Avranches over dinner where they can discuss the Welsh matter.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

The Earl of Arundel arrives at Chester Castle per his invitation, not being one to ever turn down the prospect of eating someone else's food and lounging around in their bed. His retinue tags along, naturally, and will also have to be fed and housed for the duration of his visit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post

He arrives shortly before Gerald was set to go on a hunt. He is invited to join, hopefully they may find deer, and Wales can be discussed. Additionally food is to be distributed to his men.

He is welcomed openly, food is to be distributed to his men, and he is invited to dine with Lord Avranches over dinner where they can discuss the Welsh matter.

Lord mowbray mounted his horse and proceeded to join the men.

Citizen

Lord mowbray mounted his horse and proceeded to join the men.
    They set out at dawn, with the rising sun warming their backs. An entourage of knights, huntsmen, and hunting dogs making their way across the countryside. The huntsman having previously laid out a suitable trail and the dogs rested and fed for their pursuit.

As they rode, Gerald brought his horse up alongside Lord Mowbray meeting his pace. Turning his head he looks to the lord "A splendid day for a hunt. We should reach spot of the chase before noontime." pausing for a moment "I take it your journey here was alright?"

The Earl of Arundel arrives at Chester Castle per his invitation, not being one to ever turn down the prospect of eating someone else's food and lounging around in their bed. His retinue tags along, naturally, and will also have to be fed and housed for the duration of his visit.
    He is welcomed openly, and is shown to the Lords study to meet with Lord Avranches. His retinue is shown to the growing mustering fields where rows upon rows of tents have been pitched and meal carts arranged.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 27, 2018 at 09:46 PM.

"Salut, Chester. I thank you for your hospitality." Aubrey greeted as he entered the study, back straightened and hands behind his back. "But I take it you didn't call me all the way out here to the upper Marches to sup on your beef, get drunk on your wine and have a friendly chat by your hearth? Not that I'd complain if that were indeed the purpose of your invitation." Arundel continued dryly.

Blog Entries

They set out at dawn, with the rising sun warming their backs. An entourage of knights, huntsmen, and hunting dogs making their way across the countryside. The huntsman having previously laid out a suitable trail and the dogs rested and fed for their pursuit.

As they rode, Gerald brought his horse up alongside Lord Mowbray meeting his pace. Turning his head he looks to the lord "A splendid day for a hunt. We should reach spot of the chase before noontime." pausing for a moment "I take it your journey here was alright?"

Mowbray sat atop his black stallion, a prized possession. He gazed over the fields hoping to spot some form of game. Hunting wasn't his forte though. "A good day indeed" Mowbray countered as he looked at the fellow Norman lord. "Let us hope we can brighten it up with a prize. The journey was good, sadly one of my renitue's horses decided to break a leg. A messy affair." Mowbray reminisced, the screams from the horse were horrible.

Citizen

"Salut, Chester. I thank you for your hospitality." Aubrey greeted as he entered the study, back straightened and hands behind his back. "But I take it you didn't call me all the way out here to the upper Marches to sup on your beef, get drunk on your wine and have a friendly chat by your hearth? Not that I'd complain if that were indeed the purpose of your invitation." Arundel continued dryly.
    With an amused grin "No, while I enjoy the company, my reasons for inviting you are a bit broader; both in scope and distance." a brief pause "An expedition is being planned, one that aims to strike into the heart of Powys. Forces are already beginning to gather, among them the king who is rallying his whole force. He intends to lead this army, and I mean to find him the best to fight with him."

With a friendly smile. "You are among a few trusted lords I have called upon, asking that they join me on this campaign. If we succeed, there can be much to gain both in lands, influence, as well as the satisfaction of the king."

Mowbray sat atop his black stallion, a prized possession. He gazed over the fields hoping to spot some form of game. Hunting wasn't his forte though. "A good day indeed" Mowbray countered as he looked at the fellow Norman lord. "Let us hope we can brighten it up with a prize. The journey was good, sadly one of my renitue's horses decided to break a leg. A messy affair." Mowbray reminisced, the screams from the horse were horrible.
    Not wanting to dwell on bad tidings "Well I'm glad you made it." around them the distant sounds of barking can be heard. "My letter was brief, so I will try to give a further explanation of my plans." pausing briefly Gerald maneuvers his mount over some fallen brush. "Within the coming weeks an expeditionary force is to be gathered here, one that aims to press into Powys and secure lands, wealth, and hopefully the subjugation of the Welsh Kingdom. Backing this is King Edgar, who is bringing his entire levy, and means to serve as commander. I am to act as his second and coordinate this whole affair."

"You are among a few choice lords I have called upon to support this endeavor. Men of honor and valor, who can strike hard, and handle themselves."
    Gerald gives him an appraising look before nodding.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 28, 2018 at 11:49 PM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Osulf approaches where Lord Avranches was presently, taking his seat to hear out what he had to say.

Surprised you invited me on this... Welsh expedition of yours. I am not entirely inclined to join, but I would like to hear you out nonetheless.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Citizen

Default Re: The Estates d'Avranches

Osulf approaches where Lord Avranches was presently, taking his seat to hear out what he had to say.

Surprised you invited me on this... Welsh expedition of yours. I am not entirely inclined to join, but I would like to hear you out nonetheless.
    "Ah, the situation has changed slightly since I sent out my letter. This expedition is no longer mine alone. The king is now involved, he will probably be here in a few weeks, and marches with his full force." The inclusion of the king was a big change indeed, the impact of which was yet to be seen. "Already our forces are growing, Mowbray, de Vere, and likely de Clare as well." All good men that could be counted on, and ones that the king could rely on. "Strong men, honorable men, I thought to include one more."

"I cannot speak for his end goals, but if he stays true to what he has spoken of in the past, he means for Powys to be subjugated and brought into the realm. As a marcher I seek to carry this out. Initially I had planned to accompany Lord Badger and attack from the south, but he has seen fit to make that a private affair. So I will do so for the north. With the kings backing I believe it can actually be accomplished. Though more men will certainly make it easier." the image of Welsh longbowmen sprung to mind.

Gerald give a light nod and meets Osulfs eyes, "I will not honey my words nor make false promises, you are welcome if you wish to accompany me. I would be glad to have you, and I need every good man I can get. Though if you feel your responsibilities lie else where I will understand." From what Gerald had seen of Osulf the man appreciated bluntness and honesty.
    Last edited by chesser2538; July 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

With an amused grin "No, while I enjoy the company, my reasons for inviting you are a bit broader; both in scope and distance." a brief pause "An expedition is being planned, one that aims to strike into the heart of Powys. Forces are already beginning to gather, among them the king who is rallying his whole force. He intends to lead this army, and I mean to find him the best to fight with him."

With a friendly smile. "You are among a few trusted lords I have called upon, asking that they join me on this campaign. If we succeed, there can be much to gain both in lands, influence, as well as the satisfaction of the king."

Not wanting to dwell on bad tidings "Well I'm glad you made it." around them the distant sounds of barking can be heard. "My letter was brief, so I will try to give a further explanation of my plans." pausing briefly Gerald maneuvers his mount over some fallen brush. "Within the coming weeks an expeditionary force is to be gathered here, one that aims to press into Powys and secure lands, wealth, and hopefully the subjugation of the Welsh Kingdom. Backing this is King Edgar, who is bringing his entire levy, and means to serve as commander. I am to act as his second and coordinate this whole affair."

"You are among a few choice lords I have called upon to support this endeavor. Men of honor and valor, who can strike hard, and handle themselves."
    Gerald gives him an appraising look before nodding.
    "Alas, I am afraid I will not be able to come along with this expedition in person. With the rest of the King's Council engaging the Welsh as part of one army or another, I must remain behind to steady the ship of state, and ensure that the coffers do not run dry." Arundel stated with an exaggerated sigh. Truthfully of course, he was quite happy at finding a good reason to not (personally) go to war yet again. "That said, I will happily send a contingent of soldiers to support you, with a trusted captain of mine leading them in my stead. Men are expensive even if one does not lead them in person though, and so I would have to expect healthy compensation for services rendered..." The earl idly pinched some particles of dust between his index finger and thumb.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Alas, I am afraid I will not be able to come along with this expedition in person. With the rest of the King's Council engaging the Welsh as part of one army or another, I must remain behind to steady the ship of state, and ensure that the coffers do not run dry." Arundel stated with an exaggerated sigh. Truthfully of course, he was quite happy at finding a good reason to not (personally) go to war yet again. "That said, I will happily send a contingent of soldiers to support you, with a trusted captain of mine leading them in my stead. Men are expensive even if one does not lead them in person though, and so I would have to expect healthy compensation for services rendered..." The earl idly pinched some particles of dust between his index finger and thumb.
    Numbers began to run through Geralds head as he accounted for available funds and expenses "I suppose that would be fair. I do thank you for this show of support, and I wish you luck overseeing things in our absence. Hopefully it will be an uneventful task for you." With the King gone as well as most of the council it better be.

"Your troops will be well taken care of. Now as far as compensation goes, you shall have your share of whatever spoils are captured as well as whatever land grants the king feels inclined to make. For those are beyond my power to give, but if the past is any indicator those should be generous." Edgar could also be quite stingy depending on the circumstance.

Last edited by chesser2538; July 29, 2018 at 05:50 PM.

"Quite..." Aubrey hadn't forgotten that the man he was talking to got denied the Honor of Richmond. But he felt he, personally, had little reason to fear the same fate. Edgar seemed to know of and appreciate his handling of the English economy, after all - truly, picking his side over that of Mortain and Richard of Normandy had been a wise investment in hindsight. "Anyway, I'll duly dispatch a contingent of troops. Who else will be joining this expedition?"

Citizen

"Quite..." Aubrey hadn't forgotten that the man he was talking to got denied the Honor of Richmond. But he felt he, personally, had little reason to fear the same fate. Edgar seemed to know of and appreciate his handling of the English economy, after all - truly, picking his side over that of Mortain and Richard of Normandy had been a wise investment in hindsight. "Anyway, I'll duly dispatch a contingent of troops. Who else will be joining this expedition?"

"Well so far, at least one of the de Clares, Mowbray, de Lacy, the Kings army, Osulf is yet undecided, and I still need to pay a visit to Godwinson." turnout honestly could have been better, but if Osulf and Godwin came through they could have a proper army indeed.

Blog Entries

Gerald gives him an appraising look before nodding. [/QUOTE]

Mowbray listened carefully, it had been quiet the while since he had been fighting. This could provide an opportunity to move along once more.
    "Excellent idea. I'd be more than willing to damn the field once more." Mowbray did it for the prestige, he doubt he'd get any land in Wales anyway so this was just an opportunity to increase prestige and thrust his son in a political spot light. Considering Roger had not seen the field of battle since the last battles with William.

Citizen

Mowbray listened carefully, it had been quiet the while since he had been fighting. This could provide an opportunity to move along once more.
    "Excellent idea. I'd be more than willing to damn the field once more." Mowbray did it for the prestige, he doubt he'd get any land in Wales anyway so this was just an opportunity to increase prestige and thrust his son in a political spot light. Considering Roger had not seen the field of battle since the last battles with William.
    "Excellent, I look forward to fighting along side you" with this addition their numbers were on par with the Welshmen.

Blog Entries

Spotting a boar Mowbray shouted "There! Shall we hunt it? afterwards I shall levy my men from their homes" Mowbray said as he already trotted off, not wanting to let the beast move off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast