Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Li Bageard's Den

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Li Bageard's Den

“How do you intend to draw them into pitched combat, Badger?” Questioned the only Saxon present at the meeting, he was speaking French to put his Norman counterparts at ease. But his French still carried a thick Northumbrian accent, punctuated by one or two blatantly mispronounced French words. “The welsh are not famed for marching into open battle.”
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 20, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"It seems a little hard to divy up lands before we have gained anything Lord Giffard," he says. "First I intend to sweep into Gwent and Morgannwg. With those secured we sweep up into Brycheiniog and Rhwng Gwy A Hafren." he pauses, "After that we can sweep into Deheurbarth. With the south of Wales secured we can begin to look at Powys." He pauses looking over the lords, "Everyone who participates will get a fair share of the lands we gain." Gerold had an idea of what lands he was going to claim and reward. Then he turns to address Lord Waltheof. "Lord ap Nywthon served the Welsh Kings for a time as I understand it. How would you deal with the arrows of your kin?"

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

“You must also be prepared for the eventuality of the smaller states of Wales banding together.” Waltheof added, having heard the man’s plan. “I doubt the people that resisted Saxon and Danish attacks alike will simply roll over and die.” Though here sat the arguably two most powerful lords in the realm, and both could grant undivided attention toward the Welsh question for the moment.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 20, 2018 at 05:50 PM.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    The keep is bustling servants running around and armed men gathering their arms and armor. The preparations for war are clearly underway. In the courtyard men are being drilled and trains. Knights train preparing to earn honor and glory abroad. "Baron de Lascy," he says recognizing the man from the council. He knew little about the lord, but the man had not been among those begging for scraps in the grand council. "What brings you here?"
    "My lord of Gloucester"

Greeted the amiable Hugh with a friendly voice. He'd made a slight bow as the protocol required. Clearly Gerold was preparing for the invasion of Wales apparently.

"It seems the attack on the Welsh lands will commence soon then." Hugh himself didn't like war much but the Welsh would have to face the consequences of their constant raids.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"Yes," Gerold said. "Time to see the border expanded." He gestures to the empty seat across from him and waves for a servant to fetch wine. "Please sit." As the wine is produced he says, "you served in Edgar's personal guard yes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    We should halt on the border of Powys, for I hear that it is united beneath one King.

Powys and Gwynedd, together they stood as the most powerful and united kingdoms within central and northern Wales.

How far along the southern coast will we go and how shall lands be divided up?
    "It is under Bleddyn ap Cynfyn, and was under his brother Rhiwallon until his death at Mechain. Powys and Gwynedd have been under the ap Cynfyns since the invasion of Godwinson a decade ago." ap Nwython states.

Lord ap Nywthon served the Welsh Kings for a time as I understand it. How would you deal with the arrows of your kin?"
    ap Nwython thinks for a few moments. "Perhaps by using light horse or a shieldwall, my lord."

“You must also be prepared for the eventuality of the smaller states of Wales banding together.” Waltheof added, having heard the man’s plan. “I doubt the people that resisted Saxon and Danish attacks alike will simply roll over and die.” Though here sat the arguably two most powerful lords in the realm, and both could grant undivided attention toward the Welsh question for the moment.
    "There is also the politics between the states that could be exploited to prevent them all from unifying."
    Last edited by Xion; July 21, 2018 at 06:54 AM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lord Giffard looks around at the lords present before turning back to Gerold.

With our present participants, we should have enough numbers to gather a good size host and ensure we can conquer Welsh lands swiftly, without attempting to force a pitched battle.

He recalled how meager the force drawn up by Gwent was.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"We shall marshal what forces we can, and rally back here. Then we march our host into Wales in strength." Gerold says nodding now the plan is seemingly accepted. "There is much to do in the coming days."

Citizen

Once the meeting was over, Lord Giffard approaches his father-in-law.

My Lord Gerold, I have noticed that Lord d'Avranches and Lord Shrewsbury were not present at the meeting.

"I am sure the lord of Shrewsbury and the lord d'Avranches have to manage their affairs in the north." Gerold says dismissively. He disliked de Clare's growing influence and Averanches bid for Richmond had made him reluctant to trust the man. "They will not be needed in this endeavor perhaps when we finally turn to Gwent." He had no intention of ever fighting the king of Gwent, but that buisness would be dealt with in time.

Citizen

William could tell by the tone of his father-in-law that either Clare and d'Avranches were not invited or not wanted. He remembered how adamant the Lord of Gloucester was towards d'Avranches bid for Richmond. Perhaps any cooperation between those two had ended. Yet, in terms of de Clare... William wondered why he was not invited. For now, he would not ask details and merely let the inquiry behind those two go.

I know Lord d'Avranches wants to attack Wales again soon. He wondered if I had planned to call a meeting as I had done before in the past. Yet, since you called one yourself, I felt no need to.

"d'Avranches ambitions were mad abundantly clear to me." Gerold says dryly. "As were Lord de Clare's. I intend to see a successful foray into Wales that secures us all land and wealth not in debt myself to others." All the people that Gerold had brought had relationship to Gerold or owed him in someway with the exception of the Welshmen, but he brought specialized knowledge, and was isolated. He was safe to bring into this he could not expand influence without aid.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

A letter arrives for Lord Badger from Lord Avranches inquiring about the need to rally the marcher lords for a war council, as well as what to expect in regards for severity of the resistance they would meet from the Welsh kingdoms.

To: Lord Gerold

Since the kings pronouncement I have heard little word in regards to forming a war council to plan an offensive against the Welsh kings and determine the strength of arms needed to be raised. If we are to act, I urge It be soon, as the winter snows are already beginning to thaw. If needed Chester can be used to host such an assembly.

Regards
    Gerald d'Avranches

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Quote Originally Posted by Trot View Post
    "Yes," Gerold said. "Time to see the border expanded." He gestures to the empty seat across from him and waves for a servant to fetch wine. "Please sit." As the wine is produced he says, "you served in Edgar's personal guard yes?"
    "Thank, my lord"

Replied the aging Hugh when he was offered a seat and wine. While he didn't know much about the man personally he knew him to be a great influence in the politics of the realm.

"I do serve within the king's household yes"
    He nodded with a smile, as if to placate Bageard. Across his neck hung a small crucifix, indicating his piety.

"I may have a request, you see, if you are willingly to listen" He said from his seat, leaning backwards.

Veritas Temporis Filia

Bageard nods taking a sip of the wine, a pious man he recalled. He was loyal to the king and cared little for rewards perhaps he could be useful. "Very well what is this request?" He asks curious as to what brought the man here.

"It concerns my youngest son, you see."

That son, Walter, bored himself to death in Pontefract Castle with no official duties to carry out, he'd spend his time chasing his sister then.

"Perhaps the lad could serve you for the Welsh campaign?, he's a good boy i daresay" He'd at least get fresh air and get to known the peers, worth it. Plus he would not embarrass his father unlike his elder son would.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Gerold nods, "I am always looking for good men to enter my service." He says agreeing to the Lords request. And Gerold liked having peers of the realm close. "He will be welcomed in my house."

"Excellent, My Lord" Hugh Replied with an approving nod that indicated his satisfaction.

His youngest son was to him always a source of happiness. He was the son any father would hope for, obedient, not prone to outbursts and emphatic.

"God willingly, i will send some of my levies too to assist my boy you see." It was clearly that Walter was the light of his life, by the way how he spoke and moved.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

"They will be appreciated it will good to let the boy lead some men." Gerold nods. The hundred or so men Lacy could muster would not be much, but he could make use of them he was sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234